Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke Systems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Linebaugh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

Doc and all,
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
I know some people don’t care for smoke (Dennis…!), but I can’t live without it. I can’t tell you how many times it has come in essential to either avoid other aircraft, or have someone find me to effect a rejoin.
I had a great smoke system in the CJ that Val is now care taking…the best around. I just put a smoke system in my new airplane and I would not, repeat NOT, recommend it to anyone. It was a smokingairplanes.com system. It was touted as easy to install (it was) and convenient since it is a complete kit (it is.) Having said that, IMHO, I found that the system components were not “aviation grade”…lots of cheap plastic parts. I was very reluctant to tighten down the fittings much for fear they would crack…and that is exactly what they did… after my first flight I had a quart of smoke oil in the belly of the new airplane due to a cracked plastic fitting. (…and yes it was leak tested on the ground prior to the first flight). This system has easily cost me twice the purchase price already. When I told the owner that we were going to have to re-plumb the whole system, he apologized, and then cautioned me not to over-tighten any fitting going to the smoke pump…you guessed it, another plastic fitting… (Also, in a service bulletin, he stated that there have been two in-flight fires as a result of broken welds in the smoke injector fittings in his smoke systems. The remedy? Safety wire them to the exhaust?!) I know that there are Yak owners with his systems…I hope you have better luck than I did. Please be careful, and frequently inspect the system, fittings and smoke injectors.
Given that smoke oil WILL burn, and fires are generally bad, don’t go cheap on your smoke system.

AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Jeff Linebaugh
jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

Linedogg,
Thanks for the info. What system did you have in your CJ (BV...before Val)?
Since I am toying with the idea of smoke on the 50 but have not firmed up on a system. It will come after the plumbing the wings for strobes and installing the wingtips. To many irons in the fire and to little time to tend them! Smoke will come later this year.
Doc

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

steve.fox(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

I have to  humbly disagree with Jeff on this one. I have the Smoking Airplanes system and have been very happy with it. I had one issue with a busted line, but that was my doing and not the fault of the system. I know a number of Yak and Cj drivers with the Smoking Airplane system who are as satisfied as I am.
Steve
On Jan 11, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Jeff Linebaugh wrote:
Quote:

Doc and all,

I know some people don’t care for smoke (Dennis…!), but I can’t live without it. I can’t tell you how many times it has come in essential to either avoid other aircraft, or have someone find me to effect a rejoin.

I had a great smoke system in the CJ that Val is now care taking…the best around.  I just put a smoke system in my new airplane and I would not, repeat NOT, recommend it to anyone.  It was a smokingairplanes.com system. It was touted as easy to install (it was) and convenient since it is a complete kit (it is.) Having said that, IMHO, I found that the system components were not “aviation grade”…lots of cheap plastic parts. I was very reluctant to tighten down the fittings much for fear they would crack…and that is exactly what they did… after my first flight I had a quart of smoke oil in the belly of the new airplane due to a cracked plastic fitting. (…and yes it was leak tested on the ground prior to the first flight). This system has easily cost me twice the purchase price already. When I told the owner that we were going to have to re-plumb the whole system, he apologized, and then cautioned me not to over-tighten any fitting going to the smoke pump…you guessed it, another plastic fitting… (Also, in a service bulletin, he stated that there have been two in-flight fires as a result of broken welds in the smoke injector fittings in his smoke systems.  The remedy? Safety wire them to the exhaust?!)  I know that there are Yak owners with his systems…I hope you have better luck than I did. Please be careful, and frequently inspect the system, fittings and smoke injectors. 

Given that smoke oil WILL burn, and fires are generally bad, don’t go cheap on your smoke system.

Jeff Linebaugh
jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net (jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net)

Quote:
         - The Yak-List Email Forum - class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List              - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - class="Apple-converted-space">   --> http://forums.matronics.com

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

I would have to completely agree with Jeff. The system that Tim Williams has put together for our TW’s is “homemade” but made completely of aviation grade components, as we fly too much and too hard to take chances. I will try to take some more pictures, and detail the parts and system – I had planned on having the information at Waycross to share with anyone that is interested. I think it will be a great round table discussion over a beer as well.

David

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Linebaugh
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:17 AM
To: Yak-List(at)Matronics. Com
Subject: Re: Smoke Systems

Doc and all,

I had a great smoke system in the CJ that Val is now care taking…the best around. I just put a smoke system in my new airplane and I would not, repeat NOT, recommend it to anyone. It was a smokingairplanes.com system. It was touted as easy to install (it was) and convenient since it is a complete kit (it is.) Having said that, IMHO, I found that the system components were not “aviation grade”…lots of cheap plastic parts. I was very reluctant to tighten down the fittings much for fear they would crack…and that is exactly what they did… after my first flight I had a quart of smoke oil in the belly of the new airplane due to a cracked plastic fitting. (…and yes it was leak tested on the ground prior to the first flight). This system has easily cost me twice the purchase price already. When I told the owner that we were going to have to re-plumb the whole system, he apologized, and then cautioned me not to over-tighten any fitting going to the smoke pump…you guessed it, another plastic fitting… (Also, in a service bulletin, he stated that there have been two in-flight fires as a result of broken welds in the smoke injector fittings in his smoke systems. The remedy? Safety wire them to the exhaust?!) I know that there are Yak owners with his systems…I hope you have better luck than I did. Please be careful, and frequently inspect the system, fittings and smoke injectors.

Jeff Linebaugh
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

You buying or the "Dollar Bill" game?!
Doc

[quote] ---

drc(at)wscare.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

I have the smoking planes system and it has had no problems but I respect Jeffs comments ands will be wary of the problems.  I am interested in Tim and David's system as the smoking planes system has some design improvement opportunities.  Size of the tank is limited.  If you go out and rip it up for longer than 15 mins you are out of smoke.  Smoke is good to visualize your lines in practice.  You know you nailed the loop or the cuban if you come over the top and aim for your entry.  Or if you nail the downline parallel to your upline - etc.
The smoking planes system is also way aft.  it has to be limited in volume because it has to be limited in weight.  If a back seater is not a child (my son), you can't fill the tank and expect to play safely due to an aft CG.  It also hard to fill too.  Clear Canopus in and opaque white tank is hard to see and it is hard to pump out of a barrel underneath the back window - I have overuns occasionally  - messy messy.

Just some other thoughts.

Herb
On Jan 11, 2007, at 10:32 AM, David McGirt wrote:
Quote:

I would have to completely agree with Jeff.  The system that Tim Williams has put together for our TW’s is “homemade” but made completely of aviation grade components, as we fly too much and too hard to take chances.  I will try to take some more pictures, and detail the parts and system – I had planned on having the information at Waycross to share with anyone that is interested.  I think it will be a great round table discussion over a beer as well.

David

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jeff LinebaughSent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:17 AMTo: Yak-List(at)Matronics. ComSubject: Re: Smoke Systems

Doc and all,

I had a great smoke system in the CJ that Val is now care taking…the best around.  I just put a smoke system in my new airplane and I would not, repeat NOT, recommend it to anyone.  It was a smokingairplanes.com system. It was touted as easy to install (it was) and convenient since it is a complete kit (it is.) Having said that, IMHO, I found that the system components were not “aviation grade”…lots of cheap plastic parts. I was very reluctant to tighten down the fittings much for fear they would crack…and that is exactly what they did… after my first flight I had a quart of smoke oil in the belly of the new airplane due to a cracked plastic fitting. (…and yes it was leak tested on the ground prior to the first flight). This system has easily cost me twice the purchase price already. When I told the owner that we were going to have to re-plumb the whole system, he apologized, and then cautioned me not to over-tighten any fitting going to the smoke pump…you guessed it, another plastic fitting… (Also, in a service bulletin, he stated that there have been two in-flight fires as a result of broken welds in the smoke injector fittings in his smoke systems.  The remedy? Safety wire them to the exhaust?!)  I know that there are Yak owners with his systems…I hope you have better luck than I did. Please be careful, and frequently inspect the system, fittings and smoke injectors. 

Jeff Linebaugh

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

N13472(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/11/2007 8:15:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, steve.fox(at)mac.com writes:
Quote:
have to humbly disagree with Jeff on this one. I have the Smoking Airplanes system and have been very happy with it. I had one issue with a busted line, but that was my doing and not the fault of the system. I know a number of Yak and Cj drivers with the Smoking Airplane system who are as satisfied as I am.
Steve

I agree with Steve. The paper work that came with my Smoking Airplanes system WARNED against over tightening the plastic wing nuts. Also
when I talked to John about ordering the system he stated that the wing type fittings were to be HAND tightened( SNUG) only. My system was
a special build as I have a 1 1/2 inch fill port so I had many calls to John and he was easy to work with.

And there has been some issues as these system have gotten some time in service. I would like to thank John for his forthrightness in dealing
with them. He has called and or sent E-mails ( Service bulletins ) and replacement parts to correct these problems at NO cost. This is not the
norm for aircraft parts suppliers let alone Experimental aircraft parts vendors. And yes I had a gallon plus of oil in the belly, My fault but there will never be corrosion there either.

Tom & Nora Elliott
CASCADE WARBIRDS
CJ-6A NX63727
777 Quartz Ave # 7004
Sandy Valley NV 89019
Home 702-723-1223
Fax 702-723-1243
Cell 702-595-2680 Tom
Cell 702-808-1316 Nora

[quote][b]

ByronMFox(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

Ditto, Steve. I've had Smoking Airplanes system in my CJ for three years without incident. I'm very pleased with it. Sorry you had a bad experience, Jeff. ...Blitz [quote][b]

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

Herb,

The CG was one important aspect of why we chose the aux on the TW, we are using locking fuel caps ( so the line guy does not fuel the smoke tank.. when it is a smoke tank ) , also we are using a manual valve located under the wing to control the separation of the fuel and smoke oil systems. Tim and I can not take full credit, as the general idea came from the AeroStar’s team, as they use a similar design.

In the TW, we have the luxury of 2 aux tanks, so we can “dedicated” one of them for smoke oil for most of the time except for the longer trips..

David

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Herb Coussons
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:59 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Re: Smoke Systems

I have the smoking planes system and it has had no problems but I respect Jeffs comments ands will be wary of the problems. I am interested in Tim and David's system as the smoking planes system has some design improvement opportunities. Size of the tank is limited. If you go out and rip it up for longer than 15 mins you are out of smoke. Smoke is good to visualize your lines in practice. You know you nailed the loop or the cuban if you come over the top and aim for your entry. Or if you nail the downline parallel to your upline - etc.

The smoking planes system is also way aft. it has to be limited in volume because it has to be limited in weight. If a back seater is not a child (my son), you can't fill the tank and expect to play safely due to an aft CG. It also hard to fill too. Clear Canopus in and opaque white tank is hard to see and it is hard to pump out of a barrel underneath the back window - I have overuns occasionally - messy messy.

Just some other thoughts.

Herb

On Jan 11, 2007, at 10:32 AM, David McGirt wrote:

I would have to completely agree with Jeff. The system that Tim Williams has put together for our TW’s is “homemade” but made completely of aviation grade components, as we fly too much and too hard to take chances. I will try to take some more pictures, and detail the parts and system – I had planned on having the information at Waycross to share with anyone that is interested. I think it will be a great round table discussion over a beer as well.

David

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Jeff Linebaugh
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: Smoke Systems

Doc and all,

Jeff Linebaugh
Quote:
http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-Listhttp://forums.matronics.com - NEW MATRONICS WEB FORUMS - class="Apple-converted-space"> --> http://forums.matronics.com[/b]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[quote][b]

dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

I have the smoking airplane system in my CJ as well and I haven't had a
problem I am a little concerned with the safety wire "fix" for the
potential broken weld, but the whole system has been solid for 18 months.

DaBear

Stephen Fox wrote:
Quote:
I have to humbly disagree with Jeff on this one. I have the Smoking
Airplanes system and have been very happy with it. I had one issue
with a busted line, but that was my doing and not the fault of the
system. I know a number of Yak and Cj drivers with the Smoking
Airplane system who are as satisfied as I am.

Steve

> Doc and all,
>
>
>
> I know some people don’t care for smoke (Dennis…!), but I can’t live
> without it. I can’t tell you how many times it has come in essential
> to either avoid other aircraft, or have someone find me to effect a
> rejoin.
>
>
>
> I had a great smoke system in the CJ that Val is now care taking…the
> best around. I just put a smoke system in my new airplane and I
> would not, repeat NOT, recommend it to anyone. It was a
> smokingairplanes.com system. It was touted as easy to install (it
> was) and convenient since it is a complete kit (it is.) Having said
> that, IMHO, I found that the system components were not “aviation
> grade”…lots of cheap plastic parts. I was very reluctant to tighten
> down the fittings much for fear they would crack…and that is exactly
> what they did… after my first flight I had a quart of smoke oil in
> the belly of the new airplane due to a cracked plastic fitting. (…and
> yes it was leak tested on the ground prior to the first flight). This
> system has easily cost me twice the purchase price already. When I
> told the owner that we were going to have to re-plumb the whole
> system, he apologized, and then cautioned me not to over-tighten any
> fitting going to the smoke pump…you guessed it, another plastic
> fitting… (Also, in a service bulletin, he stated that there have been
> two in-flight fires as a result of broken welds in the smoke injector
> fittings in his smoke systems. The remedy? Safety wire them to the
> exhaust?!) I know that there are Yak owners with his systems…I hope
> you have better luck than I did. Please be careful, and frequently
> inspect the system, fittings and smoke injectors.
>
>
>
> Given that smoke oil WILL burn, and fires are generally bad, don’t go
> cheap on your smoke system.
>
>
>
> /Jeff Linebaugh///
>
> /jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net <mailto:jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net>/
>

Jeff Linebaugh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

Fox-Men and Tom,
Didn’t mean to step on your toes with my comments about the smokingairplanes.com smoke system: I am sure you are extra careful in maintaining your airplanes, and I am glad they are working well for you.
I just want to put forth words of caution to those thinking of smoke systems in their airplanes. I try to error to the safe side when it comes to airborne vehicles, especially ones with just one motor and no ejection seat … This is just my opinion: plastic fittings and flammable liquids should not go together, even on the back side of the firewall. I should have known better when I saw the system components, and feel that my experience with the cracked fitting/leak was my wake-up call to knock-it-off and do it right. I felt compelled to share my concerns and experience…
AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Jeff Linebaugh
F1 Rocket #33 N240KT
Memphis, TN.
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
[quote][b]

mj(at)yakuk.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: smoke systems Reply with quote

With interest I read the comments about smoking planes systems.

I noted the filling system is historic and messy.! A better system which we
use is this pump
http://www.reversopumps.com/downloads/sales/Reverso_GP301DC.pdf then reverse
the direction (of pump) to suck the smoke oil up from a can. Use quick
connect high flow airline fittings for this purpose. So simple and clean to
operator. Instead of carrying funnels and jugs and rags around with you at
shows all you need is a length of flex hose with the fitting on the end.

Mail me of list of you want the wiring drawing I use.

Hope this helps someone.

Mark Jefferies for YAK <http://www.yakuk.com> UK Ltd
Lt Gransden Airfield <http://www.yakuk.com/EGMJ.asp>
Sandy, Beds
SG19 3BP - England
Conditions of business <http://www.yakuk.com/cob.doc>
00 44 1767 651 156 ph
00 44 1767 651 157 fx
00 44 7785 538 317 mob
<skype:mark_jefferies?call> My status
Get Skype <http://www.skype.com/go/download> and call me for free.

image001.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.1 KB
 Viewed:  5572 Time(s)

image001.gif

dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

Jeff,

I know you are passing what you believe and I don't want you to stop. I
value your input and experience. I believe that this kind of input
(Warnings) are key to why people are on the list. But we should hear
from many people to be able to draw conclusions and input.

DaBear

Jeff Linebaugh wrote:
Quote:

Fox-Men and Tom,

Didn’t mean to step on your toes with my comments about the
smokingairplanes.com smoke system: I am sure you are extra careful in
maintaining your airplanes, and I am glad they are working well for you.

I just want to put forth words of caution to those thinking of smoke
systems in their airplanes. I try to error to the safe side when it
comes to airborne vehicles, especially ones with just one motor and no
ejection seat … This is just my opinion: plastic fittings and
flammable liquids should not go together, even on the back side of the
firewall. I should have known better when I saw the system components,
and feel that my experience with the cracked fitting/leak was my
wake-up call to knock-it-off and do it right. I felt compelled to
share my concerns and experience…

/Jeff Linebaugh///

/jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net///

/F1 Rocket #33 N240KT///

/Memphis, TN./

steve.fox(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

No worries and no toes stepped on at least here.  Just another opinion Smile
POTUS
On Jan 11, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Jeff Linebaugh wrote:
Quote:

Fox-Men and Tom,

Didn’t mean to step on your toes with my comments about the smokingairplanes.com smoke system: I am sure you are extra careful in maintaining your airplanes, and I am glad they are working well for you.

ByronMFox(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/12/2007 5:40:15 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, steve.fox(at)mac.com writes:
Quote:
Quote:

Step on my toes? Never! When it comes to our flying well-being, you're heart and mind are exactly in the right places, Jeff. I'll watch my smoke system carefully because of your comments. ...Blitz
[quote][b]

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

It was great information! If I did not have some local guys to hit me over the head about the safety aspects of the smoke systems, I would have certainly made mistakes for sure.

Now, I hope everyone out there will give their systems a look more often, whomever made it..

David

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Linebaugh
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 11:24 PM
Subject: Smoke Systems

Fox-Men and Tom,

I just want to put forth words of caution to those thinking of smoke systems in their airplanes. I try to error to the safe side when it comes to airborne vehicles, especially ones with just one motor and no ejection seat … This is just my opinion: plastic fittings and flammable liquids should not go together, even on the back side of the firewall. I should have known better when I saw the system components, and feel that my experience with the cracked fitting/leak was my wake-up call to knock-it-off and do it right. I felt compelled to share my concerns and experience…

Jeff Linebaugh
F1 Rocket #33 N240KT
Memphis, TN.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[quote][b]

N13472(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Smoke Systems Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/12/2007 9:33:43 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, david(at)mcgirt.net writes:
Quote:

Fox-Men and Tom,

No bruised toes here. My opinion is like yours and we all have one just like other things.
Tom Elliott
CJ-6 NX63727
Sandy Valley NV
3L2
702-723-1223

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: