Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breathing Clean Air - Masks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Ok,

I am sure I am not the only one to think about this, so I will ask the group.

Has anyone thought about attaching a mask to an air scrubber to clean the air we are breathing in the cockpits? Say using a O2 mask for our helmets, and finding something for the other end?

I know Pappy has done a lot of studies on the amount of CO2 and Carbon Diox in the cockpit, and I hope to borrow his monitor in Waycross next week to monitor my A/C.

David

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
mark.bitterlich(at)navy.m

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

I know a lot of Carbon monoxide is getting into my 50 simply by the way
I feel after flights that are longer than normal. Not really a good
thing. I fly summer and winter with that small vent by the front
windscreen open ALL the time and try to breath THAT air. If one could
verify that said air from that source is "clean", it would not take a
lot to build a cover and hose that then fed a mask.

Mark Bitterlich

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/19/2007 3:58:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, david(at)mcgirt.net writes:

I'll bring my CO 2 monitor.
Quote:

Ok,

I am sure I am not the only one to think about this, so I will ask the group.

Has anyone thought about attaching a mask to an air scrubber to clean the air we are breathing in the cockpits? Say using a O2 mask for our helmets, and finding something for the other end?

I know Pappy has done a lot of studies on the amount of CO2 and Carbon Diox in the cockpit, and I hope to borrow his monitor in Waycross next week to monitor my A/C.

David

[quote][b]

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Yes I have thought of it. The problem is the scrubbers are activated by heat to take up CO and convert it to CO2. There are a couple of companies that make facemask for the woodlands fire fighters. Again activated by hot air as I can deduce from their literature. It uses your expired gases from respiration to activate the porous gel pelets. The mask is a real attention getter! It would take doing PFT's on someone using the mask to see what their work of breathing is exercising to see if it is practical for the YAK/CJ drivers.
Whiffs is the company that makes the CO scrubbers for NASCAR. They will not even talk to me. Guess, I do not represent enough income for them!

Doc

[quote] ---

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide are different. Are you monitoring CO (carbon monoxide) or CO2 (carbon dioxide). Both can kill and both are oderless.
Doc

[quote] ---

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Good points, the other thought I had was to create a new fresh air duct out on the wing , and route that into the cockpit to feed a mask or at least the cabin area.. I have done several 6+ hour trips in my bird, and they all ended with me a lot for fatigued than I should have been.. so I would really like to find a better solution…

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Roger Kemp
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 8:59 PM
To: yak-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: RE: Breathing Clean Air - Masks?

Yes I have thought of it. The problem is the scrubbers are activated by heat to take up CO and convert it to CO2. There are a couple of companies that make facemask for the woodlands fire fighters. Again activated by hot air as I can deduce from their literature. It uses your expired gases from respiration to activate the porous gel pelets. The mask is a real attention getter! It would take doing PFT's on someone using the mask to see what their work of breathing is exercising to see if it is practical for the YAK/CJ drivers.

Whiffs is the company that makes the CO scrubbers for NASCAR. They will not even talk to me. Guess, I do not represent enough income for them!

Doc

[quote]
---

dabear(at)damned.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

I had a similar idea, but was going to put a NACA duct near the top of
the tail to bring in fresh air. haven't done it yet.

DaBear

David McGirt wrote:
[quote]
Good points, the other thought I had was to create a new fresh air
duct out on the wing , and route that into the cockpit to feed a mask
or at least the cabin area.. I have done several 6+ hour trips in my
bird, and they all ended with me a lot for fatigued than I should have
been.. so I would really like to find a better solution…

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] *On Behalf Of *Roger Kemp
*Sent:* Friday, January 19, 2007 8:59 PM
*To:* yak-list(at)matronics.com
*Subject:* RE: Breathing Clean Air - Masks?

Yes I have thought of it. The problem is the scrubbers are activated
by heat to take up CO and convert it to CO2. There are a couple of
companies that make facemask for the woodlands fire fighters. Again
activated by hot air as I can deduce from their literature. It uses
your expired gases from respiration to activate the porous gel pelets.
The mask is a real attention getter! It would take doing PFT's on
someone using the mask to see what their work of breathing is
exercising to see if it is practical for the YAK/CJ drivers.

Whiffs is the company that makes the CO scrubbers for NASCAR. They
will not even talk to me. Guess, I do not represent enough income for
them!

Doc

---

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Good point, on the top of the tail would not work, there is not enough room
inside to get a good size hose down the middle of the tail... just ran a
video cable through there, and THAT was a pain.. but on the fiberglass on
the front of the tail would not be a bad spot.. easy to route from there..
--

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

100% O2 supplied by a closed circuit to a tight fitting aviator's mask. The fresh air source out in the wing is a good idea also. Had though that might work to but have been lazy!
Doc

[quote] ---

rvfltd(at)televar.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Dave,
I don't think you are looking at it correctly. The air will pass easily down through the lightning holes in the ribs, just cap off the bottom of the vertical stab and add a scat tube adapter and your all set. You will of course have to cover/cap off all the inspection holes in the trailing edge of the vertical. Once done I would agree I would agree that this location may be the best.

Always Yakin,
Doug

David McGirt wrote:
[quote] [quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "David McGirt" <david(at)mcgirt.net> (david(at)mcgirt.net) Good point, on the top of the tail would not work, there is not enough room inside to get a good size hose down the middle of the tail... just ran a video cable through there, and THAT was a pain.. but on the fiberglass on the front of the tail would not be a bad spot.. easy to route from there.. --

david(at)mcgirt.net

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, had not thought of it like that

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Doug Sapp
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: Breathing Clean Air - Masks?

Dave,
I don't think you are looking at it correctly. The air will pass easily down through the lightning holes in the ribs, just cap off the bottom of the vertical stab and add a scat tube adapter and your all set. You will of course have to cover/cap off all the inspection holes in the trailing edge of the vertical. Once done I would agree I would agree that this location may be the best.

Always Yakin,
Doug

David McGirt wrote:

[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "David McGirt" <david(at)mcgirt.net> Good point, on the top of the tail would not work, there is not enough roominside to get a good size hose down the middle of the tail... just ran avideo cable through there, and THAT was a pain.. but on the fiberglass onthe front of the tail would not be a bad spot.. easy to route from there.. --

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/20/2007 7:45:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, david(at)mcgirt.net writes:

My plan -- Since I replaced my generator with a alternator, I no longer need to use the cooling air intake off the louvers. I plan is to take this clean high pressure area air, and route it though some kind variable heater (yet to be designed) around the exhaust stack than route it to the cockpit. I would never be able to shut off the air but vary its temperature with a push/pull knob in the cockpit. I believe that this will increase the pressure in the cockpit, keeping the exhaust from being sucked in by the low pressure around the cockpit.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

____________________________________________________________-
[quote]

Dave,

Always Yakin,
Doug

David McGirt wrote:

[quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "David McGirt" <david(at)mcgirt.net> (david(at)mcgirt.net) Good point, on the top of the tail would not work, there is not enough roominside to get a good size hose down the middle of the tail... just ran avideo cable through there, and THAT was a pain.. but on the fiberglass onthe front of the tail would not be a bad spot.. easy to route from there.. --

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Yep...shoulda bought a YAK. It came with a cockpit fresh air vent. Atleast the 85 and before models did.
Seriously though, you could get a CRU-60, 02 regulator, install an 02 tank, and run a scat tube off the fresh air line you are insalling. Then wearing an 02 mask using those unused banoyet fittings on your helmet. That way you will be breathing fresh air via the fresh air line that originally went to your generator.
Doc

[quote] ---

jorgen.nielsen(at)mweb.co

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Have a look at a 52 – mine has this arrangement as standard (1994 model). Has a cooling line to generator, but has another that is routed to the cockpits. Heat again standard. Could probably find some 52 bits and save some building. Air can be shut off via butterfly on the cockpit air exit.

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of cjpilot710(at)aol.com
Sent: 21 January 2007 04:25 AM

In a message dated 1/20/2007 7:45:45 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, david(at)mcgirt.net writes:

My plan -- Since I replaced my generator with a alternator, I no longer need to use the cooling air intake off the louvers. I plan is to take this clean high pressure area air, and route it though some kind variable heater (yet to be designed) around the exhaust stack than route it to the cockpit. I would never be able to shut off the air but vary its temperature with a push/pull knob in the cockpit. I believe that this will increase the pressure in the cockpit, keeping the exhaust from being sucked in by the low pressure around the cockpit.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

____________________________________________________________-
[quote]

Dave,

Always Yakin,
Doug

David McGirt wrote: [quote]--> Yak-List message posted by: "David McGirt" <david(at)mcgirt.net> Good point, on the top of the tail would not work, there is not enough roominside to get a good size hose down the middle of the tail... just ran avideo cable through there, and THAT was a pain.. but on the fiberglass onthe front of the tail would not be a bad spot.. easy to route from there.. --

bwalker11(at)charter.net

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Pappy,

Before putting too much effort into this, standard Yaks already have this identical arrangement - an approx 1 1/4" tube between the front of the louvres, passing through an adjustable heat muff, and exiting the outlets in the front and rear cockpits. When I turn on the smoke, it still comes in and seems to be mostly comming in the rear cockpit along with the exhaust fumes which are constantly comming in. I hav'nt tried an exhaust vent, maybe you have one and your system will work better.

Wild Bill
[quote] ---

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

On the original Yak 52's, many of them do not have the flap actuator covers installed. These covers were originally riveted inside the rear cockpit covering the flap rod openings through the fuselage. They had flexible, cloth covers on the end of the metal cover which was clamped around the flap actuator rods. You'll know if you have them or not without even looking because the cold air can be felt down at your feet in the rear cockpit.

Possibly longer exhaust extensions, putting the exhaust stack further down into the slip stream would help eliminate the smoke in the cockpit.
Dennis

[quote] ---

MarkWDavis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Dennis,
Are the flap actuator tube covers available for the YAK 52 or does someone have a picture or pattern?

Mark Davis

[quote] ---

windsorsedge(at)ozemail.c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

Has anyone got a wiring diagram for the intercom system for the Yak52. I have a camera system that records direct to a dvd but the sound mike I’ve put in the headset doesn’t record properly so I need to wire it via the intercom system. My Yak is standard Russian

Tim & Jessie Windsor

Windsors Edge Vineyard
Windsors Edge Cottages
Top Red War Birds

1039 McDonalds Rd POKOLBIN NSW 2320
T/F: 02 4998 7737
E: windsorsedge(at)ozemail.com.au

From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Mark Davis
Sent: Monday, 22 January 2007 11:01 AM

Dennis,

Are the flap actuator tube covers available for the YAK 52 or does someone have a picture or pattern?

Mark Davis

[quote]
---

dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.co

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

They may be available from Termikas in Lithuania or via Rob Kent in the UK. I do not know of any pattern available.
Dennis

[quote] ---

cjpilot710(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Breathing Clean Air - Masks? Reply with quote

In a message dated 1/21/2007 11:25:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dsavarese(at)elmore.rr.com writes:

A number of years, before I got my present helmet and mask. I had a standard USAF helmet and oxygen mask - including hose. The hose was not connected to anything and just hung free. Looked really cool at the airshows. I took a lot of very unsavory ribbing from those who shall be unnamed. Rich Williams, NASA's #2 doctor, was a little concerned for me because he theorized I would be re-breathing my own air since the hose might not allow a total clean air exchange because of its length. But I could fly with the canopy open and with the mike in the mask, there was no air noise when I transmitted. Occasionally I would take the free end of the hose and stick it in the airstream. The effect was like pressure breathing!  Air was literally shoved into my lungs! I could not do it for very long. It was surprising how much air would come up that little 3/4 hose.

Jim "Pappy" Goolsby

[quote] They may be available from Termikas in Lithuania or via Rob Kent in the UK. I do not know of any pattern available.
Dennis

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: