Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

912 Choke Actuation Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevorkebb(at)earthlink.n

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Folks:

A quick question: I have a friend with a completed Classic IV who is getting close to first engine start. Recently we have been going over his Rotax 912 installation with a fine tooth comb. Today we tackled his cockpit mounted 'choke' (enrichener) control, which had I noticed is extremely difficult to pull, and hold, out (choke ON). It is set up to the right of the throttle and has quite a small knob. Skystar supplied. At first I suspected his cable routing or binding in the cables but they sure looked alright, with relatively gentle bends to each carb. Next we disconnected the choke lever return springs at each carb. MUCH easier but still not baby-smooth. Then we disconnected the cables from the choke levers on the carbs. The levers are free and not binding in any way.

We buttoned it all back up, adjusted the throws so each lever is being pulled equally through its entire stroke, attached the springs and, man, that choke control seems to take 50+lbs or more of force to actuate. Those 2 little return springs add up to powerful resistance. In fact, my friend cannot pull it out and needs to grab it with a wrench. I am pretty beefy and I can pull it out but it seems like way too much effort to do so and too much effort to hold it out. Part of the problem is the very small knob on the control supplied by Skystar. If it were the size of a ping-pong ball it would be much easier.

Since his basic installation seems sound, done and modified per Skystar, and no individual items in the system seem to be binding, it got me wondering if others have run into the same problem. Do you need to be a gorilla to actuate the choke? Anything to suggest or a modification to make? How do you 912 drivers handle starting with the right hand all taken up straining at the choke?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Beck

Go Bears!
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Hey, what's this go Bears stuff - just kidding.

The choke is a tough one. I'll tell you what I did. First, I drilled a
hole throught the base of the knob and threadded a key ring through that. A
finger through the ring gives a much better purchase. Another thing I did
was to take a piece of Nylaflow tubing - some really fine stuff and slit it
with a Dremel type cut off wheel and threaded it into the bent tubes with
the unslit - good side toward the bend. All in all the ring was the hand
saver.

Lowell

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

davestapa(at)juno.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Robert, I had the same problem. Finally disconnected it all and use the
primer system. Works well. Only thing I could figure was the cable was
sitting on the shelf for a few years.

C. David Estapa
Woodstock, GA
N97DE S5TD

Do not archive

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:10 am    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Thanks, Lowell, the keyring idea appeals to my friend. I take it from your
post that this is a common problem, just 'the way things are' with the 912
choke. That gives a sense of relief.

The Nylaflow tubing in the bent tubes is another good idea, takes away a bit
of the friction, right? Like the nylon tubing in the V brake bent tubes of
my mountain bike. One question: why did the tubing need to be slit? To
reduce its diameter so it would fit?

Robert Beck

Go Bears means 'go polar bears in your fight for survival in the frigid
north'.

Do not archive
[quote] Hey, what's this go Bears stuff - just kidding.

The choke is a tough one. I'll tell you what I did. First, I drilled a
hole throught the base of the knob and threadded a key ring through that.
A finger through the ring gives a much better purchase. Another thing I
did was to take a piece of Nylaflow tubing - some really fine stuff and
slit it with a Dremel type cut off wheel and threaded it into the bent
tubes with the unslit - good side toward the bend. All in all the ring
was the hand saver.

Lowell

---

lcfitt(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

One more thing I forgot. I used a length of black vinyl tubing threaded
over the keyring to match the black. I canit recall if it was a left over
piece of the tubing used for the pitot tube line or some drip irrigation
tubing.

Lowell
---

Nick(at)Scholtes1.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Robert,

I've had this exact problem many times before (although not specifically on a 912, as I'm a KitFox newbie!), but on other cable-actuated systems. The problem of where the cable is very hard to actuate, but when you take it apart everything seems very smooth and easy-to-operate.

Often, and to my surprise, lubing the cable fixes the problem, even though the cable operates "smoothly" when it's disconnected. Best thing I can figure is that when the cable isn't connected, it sees no friction from rubbing on the sides of the sheath, but when it's under tension it gets pulled hard against the side of the sheath, and the friction starts. The amount of friction that can be seen under this scenario, as you point out, can be really huge.

There are several ways to apply lubricant, a pressure lube system is a good choice. There are also several lubes to choose. I've tried many of them, from WD-40 to specially supplied "Cable Lubricant with Graphite" to "Dri-Slide" to a lube that comes out very thin and liquidy and then that solidifies into a grease. Many, especially the ones labeled specially for cable application, seem to work poorly, in my experience. Also, in my experience (your mileage may vary) is that a thin penetrating lube like WD-40 will work really well, for a few days, and then it seems to "go away". The best success I've found is to use this specialized stuff that I get from McMaster that sprays out of the can really thin and watery, and then later sets up into a grease. But, the grease is actually kinda' sticky, so then at that point follow it up with a shot of WD-40 down the pressure luber, and the cable will perform great for years. If you want the specifics of where to get the special grease stuff, let me know.

Best,

Nick

Jim Shumaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

You might check the brass cable holder piston in the handle. I found that one of the slots was not cut deep enough and was causing a binding. This changed the pull required from impossible to very firm.

Jim Shumaker
---

MichaelGibbs(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Robert,

I found the force required to pull the enrichment valve on my 912S
surprisingly high also. In my Model IV-1200, though, I had the
throttle mounted on my center console and the enrichment valve handle
(also on the console) was actually a lever of sorts that allowed me
to pull it a lot easier.

Your description of the force required doesn't surprise me.

Mike G.
N728KF

kitfoxmike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

You will be better off getting the new stile choke cable and hooking up both carbs. I had the old stile and it too was hard to pull, the new stile is stiff also, but it now starts better with both carbs choking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Thanks to ALL who replied to my question on the 912 choke. All good, sound
advice and my friend and I will look into all of the suggestions: lubing,
modifying the slot in the control, attaching a key ring, nylon tubing
inserts, etc, etc.

Boo-Hee, good advice!

Robert Beck

Do Not Archive

Bill Willyard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: 912 Choke Actuation Problem Reply with quote

Robert, I made a larger diameter knob, still pulls very firm but fingers don't hurt anymore.

Good Luck.

DO NOT ARCHIVE
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: