Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prospective 701 flyer - Performance questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StolBrit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Prospective 701 flyer - Performance questions Reply with quote

Hello Chaps,

I've all but made the decision to build a 701, (Quick build, once the European distribution situation and LSA issue settle down), and having absorbed as much as I can from the Zenith website and this forum, I have some questions about the reality of flying the aeroplane.

- What's the real world cruise speed and endurance with the standard 20 USG tank fit? Is there any need for the additional 20 USG tanks?

- 80 v 100 HP Rotax? Most of Europe (less the Alps) is relatively low! Does the shorter T/O and slightly better cruise outweigh the extra cost and harshness (?) of the 100 Hp engine?

- Have many of you fitted a ballistic recovery system?

There's a whole bunch of other questions, but I would appreciate your experiences in answering these ones.

Regards,

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
StolBrit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prospective 701 flyer - Performance questions Reply with quote

Many Thanks to Dick, Max and Dan who have already replied direct by email reporting the experience of themselves and colleagues.

Standard 20 USG tanks:
Standard is good (up to 5hrs endurance and 400 miles), unless fuel availability en route is an issue.

Rotax 80 v 100hp:
Seems that the 80hp Rotax is 'more than adequate' for landplane T/O, but the 100hp can add up to 15mph to the cruise (and the relatively slow cruise is the 701's only real downside - but you can't have it all). So, 80hp = 85mph and 100hp = 100mph cruise then.

BRS:
STOL performance and strength say its not required, but why would you not fit it?

This summary does not do justice to their emails and the words are mine. I'll be back here when a new route for a UK QBK becomes possible again following the termination of the CZAW arrangement with Zenair last summer - and this seems partly tied up with EASA's resolution of European LSA rules ...

In the meantime, I'll keep reading the boards - and plan for a 100hp rotax with standard tanks and a BRS! (Oh and a Dynon panel!)

... unless of course anyone else wants to re-open the debate!

Good building and flying - Regards,
John

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

arno7452(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Prospective 701 flyer - Performance questions Reply with quote

I have not seen any messages from 701s flying with the new Zenith cowling.
I talked with Zenith in Mexico, MO today and they are seeing about 100mph
cruise with the 100hp Rotax. They also give caution to stay within the Vne
of 115mph.

Regards,

Ken Arnold
CH701 QB Kit building

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: