Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tansfer pump Ideas?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

Same here Jack...the motor, brushes and all was immersed in gasoline... Herb
At 08:40 PM 5/24/2008, you wrote:
Quote:

Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 14:42:22 -0700

Oh, btw, Facet uses the same style motor for their fuel pump as ALL
in-tank fuel pumps....brushless motors. Ooooooh! (more ghost noises)

Mike,

I cut open the one that came out of the tank on my 96 GMC Sonoma and the
pump had brushes.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
JetPilot

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

George,

I also thought about the possibility of overfilling the main tank in my Kolb with the AUX tank. If I every got really brain dead, and pumped my AUX fuel into my main tanks way to soon, the mains would overfill and go out the vent tube for my main tanks which exits the bottom of the plane. The worst that happens is I pump gas overboard at 4 bucks a gallon Evil or Very Mad

Mark,

The Facet pump is pretty darn reliable as long as you have a fuel filter in line before the pump. I would worry more about an electrical failure making that pump stop rather than the pump itself. What kind of engine do you have ? The engine driven fuel pump on the Rotax 447 trike that I fly only costs about 30 bucks. It would be cheap and easy to have both pumps on your plane which would keep your engine running in case a wire breaks or electrical power lost for some reason.

Mike

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kolb MK-III Xtra, 912-S
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

The worst that happens is I pump gas overboard at 4 bucks a gallon >>

I should waste it at 4 bucks a gallon before it gets to 8 bucks which it is
over here

Cheers

Pat

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

I have the standard two fives in my MkIII. I have them top fed and
valved for either/or>>

Hi Robert, Just curious. Why go to the extra complication. Why not have the
pump draw all the time from both tanks. You will go just as far.

Cheers

Pat

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

Adding a third tank to this system just increases the chances that you will
one day have a slight leak somewhere.>>

Hi Mike,
although in theory you are correct I think that sort of thinking is on a par
with the idea that the way to make sure that there is no bomb on a plane you
are flying in is to take one with you. The statistical chance of there being
2 bombs on board are so small that you can fly in safety.
The same arguement would apply to having a bigger tank, a longer fuel line
etc. The corollary is that the smaller tank you have the safer it is and you
can see where that arguement leads.

Surely the object of having extra fuel, in whatever form, larger tanks or
extra tanks is to help ensure that you do NOT run out of fuel. Of course if
you are the sort of idiot who regularly runs his tanks to the bottom then
you will eventually come unstuck no matter how much fuel you carry.
If you have a disastrous leak then the more little tanks you have the safer
you will be .On the other hand according to you the more tanks you have the
more likely you are to have a leak.

I think I will walk
Cheers

Pat

lucien

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

I had a transfer system on my ultralight years ago, it had a seat tank and I used an electric fuel pump from the car parts store to pump it up into the main root tube tank.

I suppose I used it about 3 times before I got rid of it as all the extra tubing and keeping track of when to fill the main tank, etcl, started making me a bit nervous.

I'm a kicking-around-the-patch type flyer anyway (probably part of the reason I like sailplane so much) and didn't have a need for really long-haul fuel reserves at the time, so I dismantled it.

Otherwise, I'd have simply kept the seat tank as an auxiliary tank and had the pump draw out of both of them at the same time.

So I'd say try to simply add another tank and put it in as part of the regular fuel supply and forgo the transfer dealie. I.e. John H and John W. have larger custom tanks in their planes for extra range (I believe without any transer type setup, correct me if I"m wrong) and that seems to be the best way to go IMO.

For what it's worth, when I fly my titan home from Nebraska, I airport-hopped enough that I never started getting low on fuel with its 15 gal. tank. And that's feeding the 912uls.
But I suppose in more remote areas that's not as much of an option so a bigger tank would be needed....

LS

slyck(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

If I have both full. Sometimes I have just one full for local flights
and valve off the the other.

On 25, May 2008, at 9:21 AM, pj.ladd wrote:

Quote:

I have the standard two fives in my MkIII. I have them top fed and
valved for either/or>>

Hi Robert, Just curious. Why go to the extra complication. Why not
have the pump draw all the time from both tanks. You will go just
as far.

Cheers

Pat

neilsenrm(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Tansfer pump Ideas? Reply with quote

I use a aux fuel tank in my airplane quite a bit and have for some years. The tank is almost exactly like Steven Green's aux tank. I might have copied the idea from him. A larger main tank would be better and safer if I was flying cross country more. The aux tank extends my range from 2.5 hours with no reserve 1.5 hours with my personal reserve to 4 hours or 3 hours with my personal reserve. The aux tank uses a simple top drain with a dip tube. I pump the fuel from the aux tank to the top of my main tanks as soon as I can on a long flight. The first transfer will be when I'm only down a few gallons and will continue every half hour till the aux tank is empty. I like to transfer early to keep my options open. If there is any problem with fuel transfer I want it to happen when I have the most fuel. I can safely drain the aux tank down to empty. I can remove this tank if necessary to retrive more fuel.

I use the standard two 5 gallon main tanks and draw from the bottom. In ten years I have never had a leak. Three years ago I replaced to old tanks because I felt it was time. I like the idea of a bottom drain due to its simplicity. The drain always pulls fuel from the same level in the tank from the low spot on opposite sides from the other tank. If in turblance there is a momentary entry of air in the system it isn't a problem. With a top drain sucks air at best it would cause a potential pressure drop till the siphon action is restored. In the worst cases you might have a fuel flow stoppage from one tank or maybe even both tanks. If I were feeding fuel from the top I would have a selector valve and feed from only one tank at a time. This adds a point of failure from forgetting to switch tanks but the it would be less of a concern than unknownly having a one tank feed stoppage.

my .02 worth

Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW powered MKIIIC

[quote]-------------- Original message --------------

[quote] --> Kolb-List message posted by: "lucien"

I had a transfer system on my ultralight years ago, it had a seat tank and I
used an electric fuel pump from the car parts store to pump it up into the main
root tube tank.

I suppose I used it about 3 times before I got rid of it as all the extra tubing
and keeping track of when to fill the main tank, etcl, started making me a bit
nervous.

I'm a kicking-around-the-patch type flyer anyway (probably part of the reason I
like sailplane so much) and didn't have a need for really long-haul fuel
reserves at the time, so I dismantled it.

Otherwise, I'd have simply kept the seat tank as an auxi liary tank and had the
pump draw out of both of them at the same time.

So I'd say try to simply add another tank and put it in as part of the regular
fuel supply and forgo the transfer dealie. I.e. John H and John W. have larger
custom tanks in their planes for extra range (I believe without any transer type
setup, correct me if I"m wrong) and that seems to be the best way to go IMO.

For what it's worth, when I fly my titan home from Nebraska, I airport-hopped
enough that I never started getting low on fuel with its 15 gal. tank. And
that's feeding the 912uls.
But I suppose in more remote areas that's not as much of an option so a bigger
tank would be needed....

LS

--------
LS
FS II

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=184750 #18475 ====== ======================================================

[b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: