Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saggy outriggers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingsnjan(at)westnet.com.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

All,

The following is posted on behalf of Fred Klein who is having a few computer problems at the moment.

Cheers
Kingsley

Quote:
All Mono Driver / Builders,

I've always marveled at the precision, geometry, and ingenuity of the outrigger retraction / latching mechanism on my monowheel...I recall the first time I heard that satisfying "THAAAWHACK" when retracting the flap and outrigger as the nylon rod engaged the end of FL3 when the wing was resting in its vertical rack. (the pix below shows my stbd outrigger encased in Kingsley Hurst's wonderful fairing).

Alas...when the wing was rotated horizontally and mated to the fuselage, the weight of the outrigger was just enough to prevent full retraction and the nylon rod w/ the outrigger wheel sagged about 3/4". I was disappointed with this, particularly because whatever benefits to be derived from Kingsley's fairing depended upon full retraction, or at least that is what I thought.

Upon inspection, I concluded that the sag was due to an accumulation of the tolerances for fit of the various components of the retracting mechanism, notwithstanding the high precision of their manufacture. Ultimately it became clear that the problem could be solved by a slight increase in the rotation of the outrigger w/ respect to the retraction of the flap.

See Fig. 17, p. 12, chap. 9M of the build manual.

See also Fig. 24, Section 6, p. 16, chap. 9M.

I've accomplished this by putting an eccentric on the leading radius of the spacer OR10. I've made NO alterations to the slot in OR5; however, I have enlarged the 0.25" hole in the plastic washer adjacent in order that the spacer bears fully on the AN960-10L washer. Following trial mock-ups in aluminum, a local machinist has made me a new pair of OR10 spacers from stainless steel; the new spacers still fit in the 0.25" slot in OR5...see photo below alongside standard OR10 spacer.

(The black marking on the side of the new spacer is just marker ink to differentiate it from other trial spacers.)

The results could not be better...the sag is totally eliminated and there is no perceptible difference in the flap retraction / deployment lever movement or amount of force necessary.

My machinist has saved the program for his CNC cutter and is willing to make up more in batches of 10 or more...contact me off list if you'd like a set.

Fred

[img]cid:1114280A32584A81B029225EAC6C9C88(at)HP79992471771[/img]

[img]cid:0B248ADE2C734368944D90C4E2C4DE2F(at)HP79992471771[/img]

[img]cid:9E08ABE106EB461A99EA9F95E0BB7879(at)HP79992471771[/img]

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4158 / Virus Database: 3629/6847 - Release Date: 11/18/13

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

DSCN6911_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.43 KB
 Viewed:  7210 Time(s)

DSCN6911_2.jpg

DSCN6928.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.01 KB

DSCN6928.jpg

DSCN7188_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.12 KB

DSCN7188_2.jpg

graeme bird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

great fairings! I have the europa supplied ones which must be poor due to the open back. Does anyone supply these?

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Kit2 G-PATS - (kesterton) Mono Classic 912 warpdrive
Kit 1 G-UMPY - Mono Classic/XS 912S, Woodcomp G(@)gdbmk.co.uk
Fred Klein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

On Nov 24, 2013, at 8:44 AM, graeme bird wrote:
Quote:
great fairings! I have the europa supplied ones which must be poor due to the open back. Does anyone supply these?

Graeme...as mentioned in my text, mine came from Kingsley Hurst in Oz...Fred

[quote][b]

Richard Lamprey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

Hi Kingsley and Fred,
I would like to try a couple of your eccentric OR10s. But you are in Australia aren't you? Might be hard to get those to Kenya, but I have a UK intermediate address.
Best
Richard
Kenya Europa Classic Mono, 5Y-LRY

spcialeffects

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

Hey guys, just come across this thread and I'm with Richard, I wouldn't mind a set of those. Thanks Frank

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

Richard...should be able to post them just about anywhere in a small padded envelope. I'll put you on the list and will advise cost and timing of a little production run.

I'm located in the Pacific NW of the US...my machinist is part of the Seattle industrial infrastructure which supports Boeing...

Fred

On Nov 26, 2013, at 12:23 AM, Richard Lamprey wrote:

Quote:

Hi Kingsley and Fred,
I would like to try a couple of your eccentric OR10s. But you are in Australia aren't you? Might be hard to get those to Kenya, but I have a UK intermediate address.
Best
Richard
Kenya Europa Classic Mono, 5Y-LRY

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=414096#414096

MJKTuck(at)cs.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

Hi Fred,

How much are you asking for the eccentric OR10s?

Martin
On 11/26/2013 8:16 AM, Fred Klein wrote:
Quote:

Richard...should be able to post them just about anywhere in a small padded envelope. I'll put you on the list and will advise cost and timing of a little production run.

I'm located in the Pacific NW of the US...my machinist is part of the Seattle industrial infrastructure which supports Boeing...

Fred

On Nov 26, 2013, at 12:23 AM, Richard Lamprey wrote:

>
>
> Hi Kingsley and Fred,
> I would like to try a couple of your eccentric OR10s. But you are in Australia aren't you? Might be hard to get those to Kenya, but I have a UK intermediate address.
> Best
> Richard
> Kenya Europa Classic Mono, 5Y-LRY
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=414096#414096
>

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

On Nov 26, 2013, at 8:26 PM, Martin Tuck wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck(at)cs.com (MJKTuck(at)cs.com)>

Hi Fred,

Martin,
I've been assured, now that there's a program stored in the CNC machine, that the costs for additional pieces will be nominal.

I've just now emailed the guy asking for confirmation of cost and minimal quantities for additional pieces...I'll let you know just as soon as I find out.
Fred
PS: BTW, I often go to your YouTube video when I need a bit of inspiration to complete my build.
[quote][b]

rehn(at)rockisland.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

Fred
I've had saggy outriggers for 13 years! Guess I need to get on your list!
I can pick mine up:)
Thanks
Regards
Jerry

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 27, 2013, at 10:16 AM, Fred Klein <fklein(at)orcasonline.com (fklein(at)orcasonline.com)> wrote:

[quote]
On Nov 26, 2013, at 8:26 PM, Martin Tuck wrote:
Quote:
--> Europa-List message posted by: Martin Tuck <MJKTuck(at)cs.com (MJKTuck(at)cs.com)>

Hi Fred,

Martin,
I've been assured, now that there's a program stored in the CNC machine, that the costs for additional pieces will be nominal.

I've just now emailed the guy asking for confirmation of cost and minimal quantities for additional pieces...I'll let you know just as soon as I find out.
Fred
PS: BTW, I often go to your YouTube video when I need a bit of inspiration to complete my build.
Quote:

===================================
ctric.com
Quote:
www.buildersbooks.com
uilthelp.com

otstore.com

matronics.com/contribution
tp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
cs.com

[b]

Richard Lamprey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

Thanks Fred, I can pay you by Western Union, when you are ready.

I think for all of us fitting these to completed/ flying Europas, it will be essential to jack the plane up and do quite a few retractions to see that all is in order.

Best
Richard

Fred Klein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Saggy outriggers Reply with quote

On Nov 28, 2013, at 3:13 AM, Richard Lamprey wrote:
Quote:
I think for all of us fitting these to completed/ flying Europas, it will be essential to jack the plane up and do quite a few retractions to see that all is in order.

Richard,
Certainly a prudent suggestion. Though my bird has yet to fly, my workshop allows for full assembly and that's exactly what I did.
I would emphasize that my outrigger retraction/deployment mechanism was fitted exactly as per plans and I did NOT do any filing or nibbling to bolt holes or slots in OR 5 (or other components) in the original assembly or in any adventurous attempts to eliminate the sag of the outriggers.
Fred
PS: Here in the US we're in the midst of the Thanksgiving holiday...last nite I learned from my machinist's father that he's away for a few days...so I won't be getting cost confirmation and delivery time for a bit.

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: