Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marker Beacon Remote Indicators?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam.marlow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Marker Beacon Remote Indicators? Reply with quote

BobsV35B(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:
Good Afternoon Bob and Bill,
May I ask why you want the marker beacon indication? It is/was part
of the low frequency range system which was shut down over sixty years
ago. It has been retained for use with a few ILSs and some NDB
approaches, but such use is rapidly being discontinued.
I know of no fix designated by a marker beacon that cannot be found
via some other legal IFR data.
That is especially true if one has an IFR approved GPS installed.
There is nothing wrong with having a marker beacon receiver installed,
but you can eliminate an antenna and some wiring by getting rid of it.
You might even be able to save some panel space.
My vote is to forget about the marker Beacon Receiver. <G>
Happy Skies,
Old Bob
We at the airlines still use them on Cat2 approaches..................

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Marker Beacon Remote Indicators? Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Sam,

How many GA airplanes shoot Cat II approaches?

If you do regularly execute CAT II in a GA machine, you have a special
operations permit. I will bet a dollar to a doughnut that if you specified in
your op specs that you intended to use a GPS fix in lieu of the marker
beacon for the Cat II approach, it would be approved. The Fan and Bone markers
are ancient history!

Happy Skies,

Old Was Qualified For Cat II Many Years Ago Bob

Do Not Archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Marker Beacon Remote Indicators? Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Sam,

Just for kicks, I called up the ILS Rwy 9L CAT II & III at KORD. I find that to execute that approach you must have a GPS, airline or no airline. It uses many GPS distance fixes for the approach and the distances are from the ISAJ GPS fix which is colocated with the inner marker. Put ISAJ in lieu of the inner marker in your op specs and I will bet two bucks against a doughnut that it will be approved? <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 3/25/2014 9:13:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time, sam.marlow(at)roadrunner.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Sam Marlow <sam.marlow(at)roadrunner.com>

Quote:
Happy Skies,
Old Bob

Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

sam.marlow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Marker Beacon Remote Indicators? Reply with quote

My airline was not approved to use GPS fixes, and no I don't make cat II approaches in my RV. Just my 2 cents worth........
I'm retired now, but only since 2012. You know how slow the FAA is in changeling things. I'm not trying to start something, just throwing loose change.
Sent from my iPad

On Mar 25, 2014, at 3:15 PM, BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com) wrote:
[quote] Good Afternoon Sam,

If you do regularly execute CAT II in a GA machine, you have a special operations permit. I will bet a dollar to a doughnut that if you specified in your op specs that you intended to use a GPS fix in lieu of the marker beacon for the Cat II approach, it would be approved. The Fan and Bone markers are ancient history!

Happy Skies,

Do Not Archive

In a message dated 3/25/2014 9:13:42 A.M. Central Daylight Time, sam.marlow(at)roadrunner.com (sam.marlow(at)roadrunner.com) writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Sam Marlow <sam.marlow(at)roadrunner.com (sam.marlow(at)roadrunner.com)>

BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Happy Skies,
Old Bob

Quote:

[b]

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Marker Beacon Remote Indicators? Reply with quote

Good Evening Sam,

Welcome to the ranks of the unemployed.

What I am trying to do is help folks save money, space and weight on their airplanes.

Seems any serious IFR pilot will have a GPS and, with a GPS, the marker beacon becomes superfluous. Just trying to save the troops a few bucks and some space in their flying machine.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

In a message dated 3/25/2014 2:57:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time, sam.marlow(at)roadrunner.com writes:
Quote:
My airline was not approved to use GPS fixes, and no I don't make cat II approaches in my RV. Just my 2 cents worth........
I'm retired now, but only since 2012. You know how slow the FAA is in changeling things. I'm not trying to start something, just throwing loose change.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 25, 2014, at 3:15 PM, BobsV35B(at)aol.com (BobsV35B(at)aol.com) wrote:
Quote:
Good Afternoon Sam,

If you do regularly execute CAT II in a GA machine, you have a special operations permit. I will bet a dollar to a doughnut that if you specified in your op specs that you intended to use a GPS fix in lieu of the marker beacon for the Cat II approach, it would be approved. The Fan and Bone markers are ancient history!

Happy Skies,

Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

donjohnston

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Marker Beacon Remote Indicators? Reply with quote

What I am trying to do is help folks save money, space and weight on their airplanes.

Seems any serious IFR pilot will have a GPS and, with a GPS, the marker beacon becomes superfluous. Just trying to save the troops a few bucks and some space in their flying machine.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

I'm in the process of connecting my avionics. I installed a marker beacon antenna only to discover that the audio panel I'm installing doesn't have marker beacon indicators. I contacted the manufacture and they explained that marker beacon transmitters will start to be decommissioned starting next year. So they decided to remove that function.

BobsV35B(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Marker Beacon Remote Indicators? Reply with quote

Smart Folks!!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Do Not Archive

In a message dated 3/28/2014 9:44:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time, don(at)velocity-xl.com writes:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: "donjohnston" <don(at)velocity-xl.com>
Quote:
What I am trying to do is help folks save money, space and weight on their  airplanes.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

I'm in the process of connecting my avionics. I installed a marker beacon antenna only to discover that the audio panel I'm installing doesn't have marker beacon indicators. I contacted the manufacture and they explained that marker beacon transmitters will start to be decommissioned starting next year. So they decided to remove that function.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=421197#421197

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: