Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uncoordinated flight help!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Canterbury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

I have a Kolb Kolbra and I am needing some advice on how to change the rigging of the flight controls. I am having to hold a good deal of right rudder in straight and level flight to get the ball centered. I do have a substantial trim tab on the rudder. What can be done to correct this problem? I would like for the plane to fly straight hands off. Is that too much to ask?

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

IMG_0200.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  199.55 KB
 Viewed:  17142 Time(s)

IMG_0200.JPG

byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

it might not be too much to ask... but your results may vary....... when I
looked at your photo... I saw your trim tab on the side of the rudder.....
I am not an aerospace engineer,,, but in my humble opinion the trim tab as
installed is working more as a spoiler, creating quite a bit of drag behind
the tab and not deflecting the rudder as you would want........ in my
humble opinion,, the trim tab would be more effective if it were installed
so the bend was just behind the trailing edge. this way it could become
part of the airfoil...

boyd young

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Kolb Kolbra and I am needing some advice on how to change the
rigging of the flight controls. I am having to hold a good deal of right
rudder in straight and level flight to get the ball centered. I do have a
substantial trim tab on the rudder. What can be done to correct this
problem? I would like for the plane to fly straight hands off. Is that too
much to ask?
---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Adam Canterbury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

That does make sense. I am just trying to work out all the bugs on this airplane that the previous owner neglected. Thanks for the reply.

frank goodnight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Hi ,
I do believe that Boyd is right. However if that doesn't compleatly
Solve the problem. You might want to try welding up the hole in one or
both of the mounting tabs for the wing and redrilling the holes in a
Slightly differently position. Quite a bit of work but it worked for my Firestar.
Good luck
Frank.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2014, at 11:07 AM, "Adam Canterbury" <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:

That does make sense. I am just trying to work out all the bugs on this airplane that the previous owner neglected. Thanks for the reply.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=422453#422453

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Hi,
Is the problem that she wants to roll or to yaw?

If its roll. (assuming the Kolbra is rigged like the Xtra) adjust the height
of the trailing edges. Yaw. just check that everything is built square,
engine properly aligned. Probably take the trim tab off and start from
scratch. When you start making adjustments do ONE thing at a time.

As one of our main gurus says

Worth what you paid for it.

Pat

--

neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Adam

Frank has introduce another component of trim. It your plane rolls right or left it is a rigging issue that can be resolved by as Frank suggests, buying the Kolb universal bracket that allows the owner to do small adjustments to the angle of attack of one wing and/or aileron trim tabs. These will fix roll tendencies that are countered by lateral pressure on the stick.

The trim tab on the rudder counters P factor from the prop under power. You can can get a roll trim issue if you are slipping sideways so you need to know where the issue is.

You may know this but the trim tab on the rudder doesn't trim the airplane it only moves the rudder in the direction where it will trim the airplane. When installed properly it looks backward. The photo shows the trim tab in less than ideal location. It should be a attached as far aft on the rudder as possible. I would recommend moving it aft as far as possible positioned on the angle of the trailing edge of the rudder and down a bit (may be one rib) from the current location. You may want to round the sharp edges a bit also.

As always worth what you paid for it.
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>

Hi ,
I do believe that Boyd is right. However if that doesn't compleatly
Solve the problem. You might want to try welding up the hole in one or
both of the mounting tabs for the wing and redrilling the holes in a
Slightly differently position. Quite a bit of work but it worked for my Firestar.
Good luck
Frank.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 27, 2014, at 11:07 AM, "Adam Canterbury" <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com (canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

> --> Kolb-List message posted by: "Adam Canterbury" <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com (canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com)>
>
> That does make sense. I am just trying to work out all the bugs on this airplane that the previous owner neglected. Thanks for the reply.
>
>
>
>
> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=422453#422453
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

===========
" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
MS -
k">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
e -
         -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
t="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

[b]

lcottrell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Rick Neilsen <neilsenrm(at)gmail.com (neilsenrm(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Adam

Frank has introduce another component of trim. It your plane rolls right or left it is a rigging issue that can be resolved by as Frank suggests, buying the Kolb universal bracket that allows the owner to do small adjustments to the angle of attack of one wing and/or aileron trim tabs. These will fix roll tendencies that are countered by lateral pressure on the stick.

The trim tab on the rudder counters P factor from the prop under power. You can can get a roll trim issue if you are slipping sideways so you need to know where the issue is.

You may know this but the trim tab on the rudder doesn't trim the airplane it only moves the rudder in the direction where it will trim the airplane. When installed properly it looks backward. The photo shows the trim tab in less than ideal location. It should be a attached as far aft on the rudder as possible. I would recommend moving it aft as far as possible positioned on the angle of the trailing edge of the rudder and down a bit (may be one rib) from the current location. You may want to round the sharp edges a bit also.

As always worth what you paid for it.
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC
Quote:

All of the previous comments apply, and they better explain your possible fix. My purpose is to show you what I have to counter trim issues with mine, perhaps there will be something there that will help you with your problem. 

If you use lexan for your trim tab, it helps with the visibility problem that yours has. I put a much bigger one than I needed and trimmed it down, 1/4 inch at a time with tin snips, until it did no more than was needed to keep the plane flying straight. Lexan can be bent cold with no problem. I used a 2x4 and cut a kerf in it deep enough to get the bend that I needed. Wood does not scratch it. If you have access to a "brake" then protect it with cardboard and you will have something that will better blend in with your paint color.
Larry

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

trim_tab_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Viewed:  17138 Time(s)

trim_tab_1.JPG

trim_tab_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.41 MB

trim_tab_2.JPG

trim_tab.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

trim_tab.JPG

Adam Canterbury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

A lot of great information here. I think that I will take the trim tab off and start from scratch. My problem is not a roll problem. Just yaw.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

--> <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com>

A lot of great information here. I think that I will take the trim tab off
and start from scratch. My problem is not a roll problem. Just yaw.

Adam C/Kolbers:

Looks like the trim tab is on the left side of your rudder. I am assuming
the prop turns counterclockwise as seen from the rear facing forward. This
would be the same rotation as a 912. I don't know what engine you have.
Don't think that is important, but direction of rotation is.

There is a photo attached that shows my trim tab on my MKIII. The size and
angle centers the ball on my slip/skid indicator, feet off the pedals, at
cruise (80 mph) and most other airspeeds.

The other two photos are of an experimental trim tab that I tested and did
not use. However, the dimensions are what I have installed. The squiggly
lines indicate the bottom 1/3 I removed after discovering I had too much
trim tab initially.

The part that rivets to the rudder ribs is 1 7/8" wide. I used 1/8"
aluminum fabric rivets to attach the trim tab.

The angle is about 30 degrees and the trailing edge is 3 1/8" wide.

Total length is 14".

I have done a lot of experimenting with my MKIII over the past 22 years.
Rudder trim tabs is one of them. Finally, found the cure for my airplane,
and this is it.

Adverse yaw during cruise flight is caused, primarily, by the way the prop
wash strikes the vertical stabilizer, upper and lower, the rudder, and the
horizontal stabilizer.

It is not necessary to tuft the tail surfaces to find out what is happening
back there during flight. If you over fill the oil tank or fly in rough
air, there'll be enough oil mist hit the tail section to know right where
the prop wash is going. Prop wash does not come straight back from the
prop, but has tremendous twist, much like a tornado. This is what is
constantly hitting the tail surfaces, primarily the left side of the
vertical stab and the top of the left horizontal stab.

When mounting the rudder trim tab, insure the bend is in line with the
trailing edge of the rudder. Also insure the bottom of the trim tab is
clear of the inboard end of the elevator when the stick is full aft.

The above did not happen overnight. It took a lot of flying over the years
to nail down what the best fix would be.

This is how I did it. Not recommending anyone else do it my way.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

DSCF2389-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  427.15 KB
 Viewed:  17123 Time(s)

DSCF2389-1.jpg

DSCF2341-1-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.69 KB

DSCF2341-1-1.jpg

DSCF2340-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.33 KB

DSCF2340-1.jpg

Titus, Alabama
Adam Canterbury

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

I think I would be well suited to model a new trim tab like yours and go from there. Thanks so much!

Herb Graff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

When you intentionally do a Slip , the ball is all whacked out, because you are cross-controlled with both ailerons and rudder.

With that in mind, you probably also need aileron trim. Tell. what happens when you try
to fly hands & feet off. The first action of the aircraft indicates a lot where to start. It takes a careful balancing of both trims to get it flying straight with the ball in the center. Don't dispair it is a repetitious process to zero in.

Herb Graff

Mark III N246KT

In a message dated 4/27/2014 11:39:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com writes:
Quote:
I have a Kolb Kolbra and I am needing some advice on how to change the rigging of the flight controls. I am having to hold a good deal of right rudder in straight and level flight to get the ball centered. I do have a substantial trim tab on the rudder. What can be done to correct this problem? I would like for the plane to fly straight hands off. Is that too much to ask?

[quote][b]

racerjerry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

You might want to identify the source of your problem before applying band-aids. See if you can borrow a digital protractor to check the wings for mounting at different angles, but also for wing twist along the span. Tape the protractor to a straight furring strip (1 x 2) that will span the leading and trailing edges of the wing and run it along the underside of the wing to see how much variation you have. Digital protractors are accurate to one tenth of a degree and also you can zero them at any point to make readings / comparison extremely easy. Nothing is perfect, but corrections are much better made after you identify the source of the problem.

I hate to say this, but if you purchase a digital protractor from a home store that has a liberal return policy…
Well, the darned things work so well that you will probably want to keep it anyway.

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

--> <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com>

I think I would be well suited to model a new trim tab like yours and go
from there. Thanks so much!

Adam C/Kolbers:

The latest edition of the Kolb Extra wanted to fly right wing low during
initial flight testing. Was the weirdest feeling I have ever had in an
airplane. It did not want to continue to roll right once it got into its
right wing low position. Could not wait to land and try to figure out what
was going on. Taped a trim tab on the rudder and she flew straight and
level the next flight. Which brings up a point. Duct tape works great
during the initial testing of trim tabs on aileron, elevator, and rudder,
until it is determined what size and where you place them permanently, if at
all.

Getting the Kolb trimmed out works best making no more than one change at a
time.

All MKIII's I am aware of have adverse yaw and require a rudder trim tab to
correct.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Titus, Alabama
russk50(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Adam
You may have a hard-to-diagnose problem, but you've also got a lot of advice.
I would certainly take off the trim tab and all other 'fixes' and fly it to see what the basic problem is. Then add things one at a time & fly it again
And good luck
Russ K

On Apr 27, 2014, at 2:17 PM, Adam Canterbury wrote:

Quote:

A lot of great information here. I think that I will take the trim tab off and start from scratch. My problem is not a roll problem. Just yaw.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=422467#422467

lcottrell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Which brings up a point.  Duct tape works greatduring the initial testing of trim tabs on aileron, elevator, and rudder, until it is determined what size and where you place them permanently, if atall.

I used "cleeko's" for mine. Worked well with no sitckey residue.
Larry

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 5:57 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Adam Canterbury"
--> <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com (canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com)>

I think I would be well suited to model a new trim tab like yours and go
from there. Thanks so much!

Adam C/Kolbers:

The latest edition of the Kolb Extra wanted to fly right wing low during
initial flight testing.  Was the weirdest feeling I have ever had in an
airplane.  It did not want to continue to roll right once it got into its
right wing low position.  Could not wait to land and try to figure out what
was going on.  Taped a trim tab on the rudder and she flew straight and
level the next flight.  Which brings up a point.  Duct tape works great
during the initial testing of trim tabs on aileron, elevator, and rudder,
until it is determined what size and where you place them permanently, if at
all.

Getting the Kolb trimmed out works best making no more than one change at a
time.

All MKIII's I am aware of have adverse yaw and require a rudder trim tab to
correct.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

===========
===========
MS -
===========
e -
===========

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

On 4/28/2014 6:01 AM, racerjerry wrote:
Quote:

You might want to identify the source of your problem before applying band-aids. See if you can borrow a digital protractor to check the wings for mounting at different angles, but also for wing twist along the span. Tape the protractor to a straight furring strip (1 x 2) that will span the leading and trailing edges of the wing and run it along the underside of the wing to see how much variation you have. Digital protractors are accurate to one tenth of a degree and also you can zero them at any point to make readings / comparison extremely easy. Nothing is perfect, but corrections are much better made after you identify the source of the problem.

I hate to say this, but if you purchase a digital protractor from a home store that has a liberal return policy…
Well, the darned things work so well that you will probably want to keep it anyway.

--------
Jerry King

Most newer smart phones & tablets have free apps available that work

just as well as an expensive digital level. If your device re-orients
the screen as you turn it from vertical to horizontal, you can probably
get a digital level app for it. I've been using one on my iphone 4 to
check all kinds of stuff during my RV-7 build. Not quite as convenient
as a dedicated tool, but the price is right.

When you check the wings, don't forget to check the ailerons & elevators
for twist, also. On the planes I normally fly (faster homebuilts), twist
there can have almost as much effect as a big trim tab.

Charlie

John Hauck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Adam C/Kolbers:

Keep it simple.

If it was my airplane, I'd pull off the incorrectly attached rudder trim tab.

Flight test the Kolbra without the tab, then tape on a tab in the correct position. Continue to adjust the tab and flight test until happy as a lark the adverse yaw problem has flown away. Wink

I would not concern myself with "rerigging" the airplane until I eliminated the adverse yaw.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

Titus, Alabama
rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Adam, Attached is the Kolb factory trim tab drawing.

Rick Girard

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Adam Canterbury <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com (canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Adam Canterbury" <canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com (canterbury.adam(at)gmail.com)>

I think I would be well suited to model a new trim tab like yours and go from there. Thanks so much!

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=422478#422478

===========
===========
MS -
===========
e -
===========

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

trim_tab_1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  295.41 KB
 Viewed:  17015 Time(s)

trim_tab_1.JPG

Trim_tab_2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  269.07 KB
 Viewed:  17015 Time(s)

Trim_tab_2.JPG

John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

Rick G/Kolbers:

I'll be darn.  That factory trim tab looks just like the one I posted a few days ago.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Rick Girard

[quote][b]

Titus, Alabama
rickofudall

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight help! Reply with quote

John, I took the tab off "The Plane from Hell" and tried to fly it. It was okay, if you like flying sideways or getting a big cramp in your left leg trying to make the airplane fly straight. Put it back per the Kolb plans and the aircraft was once again easy to fly and keep the yaw string centered. I only wish I'd been able to put my engine on it and test that configuration.

Rick

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Rick G/Kolbers:

I'll be darn.  That factory trim tab looks just like the one I posted a few days ago.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

Rick Girard

Quote:

get="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
tp://forums.matronics.com
_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution

--
Zulu Delta
Mk IIIC
Thanks, Homer GBYM
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.
  - Groucho Marx

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: