Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firewall (Long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Firewall (Long) Reply with quote

Hello Kevin,

I am the one that made a SS firewall for my 701.  Will like to make a comment. Hope it helps you and all the group.

The main reason I made the firewall out of Stainless Steel, was because my everyday work is manufacturing and selling  fast food carts and equipment, we work a lot with diferent thickness of stainless, we have in our factory 5 TIG welders and several brakes (up to 12')  etc.  So building the firewall from SS was kind of a "trade mark" mostly, the galvanized steel one with the kit was out of place here Smile , all our friends told us... 

Following the advise from this great list, we Zinc Chromate  well all the aluminum that could touch the FW and put a drop of ZC in each rivet to prevent any galvanic corrosion. 

Yes, we have lots of experience with SS, mild steel and fiberglass, but was our first aluminum airplane, so we were also another newbys in this list,  thanking all the advise from the group,  I had the chance to read.

Now to your question.  the 701 will fly and land in rought terrain OK without changing the firewall with the kit.  

The ZAC airplanes are a GREAT piece of Engineering.  The final product of a real genious,  I am sure they cant be made more light and more strong that they are.   
A local pilot got his 701 in a ditch at the end of his strip and I was surpriced (sp?)  how strong the plane is as factory built and how much  punishment can support with so little harm.   The plane was easyly rebuilt with just a few parts (front fork area)  and the firewall was in very good shape, just needed a little straightining and is now flying...

We are homebuilders, so if you want to make a SS FW, Ok  just us harder to cut and drill  (yes we used more bits in the FW  than in the hole airplane.  Bending the edge is a little harder also butnot much, just that SS has diferent "memory" when doing the bending.

Remember also s omething I read from an experienced builder:  Everything you change from the plans, will add about 100 hrs to the final building process....

Happy building and also  remember:  The only good thing to add to an airplane is lightness and simplicity...

Saludos
Gary Gower
Flying a 701 from Chapala, Mexico,
Building a 601 XL kit.

kevinbonds(at)comcast.net wrote:
Quote:
--> Zenith-List message posted by: kevinbonds(at)comcast.net

Regarding plans building an XL, I am looking ahead trying to make some decisions. Hope you guys and gals can help me out in hte next few emails (broken up to make them more searchable). (1) Back many months ago I seem to remember some talk about using thicker material for the firewall. For those of you flying, has the 18 gauge steel for the firewall seemed sufficient? Noticed in the archives one builder went with stainless steel. Is this a good idea? Stiffer? Better heat resistance in a fire?

Kevin Bonds
http://home.comcast.net/~kevinbonds

Want to be your own boss? Learn how on [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41244/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index] Yahoo! Small Business.[/url]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: