Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aileron gap seal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart(at)harnerfarm.net

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: aileron gap seal Reply with quote

OK, one more question about wings and ailerons and painting.

If you used the fabric method of installing the gap seal, did you put the aileron on the wing and install the gap seal prior to paining?

If you paint first (meaning if you paint the ailerons and wings before final assembly, how do you get the fabric gap seal in place and painted to match?

I am seriously considering just painting mine prior to assembly as the paint scheme will allow for easy alignment of the paint lines. Then just using the book binding tape for the gap seal.

I am open to any tales of woe or success using either method of gap seal.

Thanks,

Stuart
Still dreaming about the far off day when I may actually get to paint my Firefly.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
t41pilot

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: aileron gap seal Reply with quote

just started my 3rd season using the book binding tape. No deterioration showing up yet. My plane is hangared though. The tape is cheap and easy to install. As far as carrying your paint trim from wing through your ailerons, paint your base color first on both items. Then after the required drying time temporarily attach the hinges to the wing or the aileron using a few sheet metal screws. Your holes should have been drilled already at this point. Attach the aileron to the wing across some horses or other suitable surface large enough to accommodate the width of both making sure not to damage your base coat of paint. Lay out your trim tape as necessary with the aileron in a neutral position. Flip assembly over(with some help) and trim the other side if necessary. Disassemble, finish masking with paper and paint wing and aileron separately. It's not difficult but is time consuming. Polytone paint is very forgiving. Paint your parts horizontally as much as possible and the paint will nicely lay out if you have your gun set right. I had never painted anything ever before and I was very satisfied with the result when I was done. If you are using Polytone, just follow the book and everything will be fine.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Firefly Color.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.8 KB
 Viewed:  2485 Time(s)

Firefly Color.jpg

WhiskeyVictor36(at)aol.co

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: aileron gap seal Reply with quote

In a message dated 5/15/2014 4:23:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, t41pilot(at)frontier.com writes:
Quote:
I had never painted anything ever before and I was very satisfied with the result when I was done. If you are using Polytone, just follow the book and everything will be fine.

Gregg,

That is a beautiful paint design and a beautiful piece of workmanship. Congrats!

Bill Varnes
Original Kolb FireStar
Audubon NJ
Do Not Archive

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: