Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clevice \Forks debacle.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budyerly(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Clevice \Forks debacle......... Reply with quote

Tony,
In Annex E it says:

Check that trim bellcrank does not contact TS05 push-rod when fully aft (tab full up) and tailplane is trailing edge up.

This should be in Chapter 19 also but is not as it is assumed when checking clearances. 

If I read you correctly, I am just repeating what others have said I am afraid.  With the stab full up and trim rod full down, the TS05, T shaped trim push rod, should not contact the TS 03 bell crank long arm side where the trim clevises attach at full up stab (I use 13 degrees full up).  The clevis from the motor to the clevis on the TS03 butt against one another on the #8 rod attaching them.  If you look with the stabs all done, trim tabs on, and fully extended trim motor, look hard at the TS05 trim rod and it normally just contacts the clevis.  Simply take it apart,(it is an airplane so if you haven't taken it apart and put it together 5 times, you are doing it wrong.) cut 1/16 inch from each clevis and reassemble and test.  1/8 inch off each is the most I have done.  At this time check the TS05 trim push rod does not rub against the slot in the bulkhead it passes through.  This is very hard to do with the top on.

Nice to catch it now with the top off rather than go in and try to do it after the top is on, especially with the inspection hole size recommended by the manual.

Now something not in the manual and is very embarrassing:
I found one of my aircraft with the nyloc nut which holds the TS03 to the TS04 (spring and washer thingy) and its check nut were loose.  As the damper unit moves, it vibrated a bit and to my distress, the TS04 was a bit floppy.  This has never happened to me.  Easy fix, a drop of Loctite and tighten up was all it took.  I use torque seal paint on all my bolts but never put it on my nylock / check nut on the drag / dampener bolt as I never thought this part would cause trouble...  So a word to the wise, make this part of your final assembly check, and put a bit of torque seal paint on your nuts on this part also.  

As far as mounting the trim servo, we do add an aluminum plate of .016 inches with 4 nut plates riveted on to it and the plate Reduxed and riveted to the back side of the bulkhead.  We use nut plates everywhere where we can't get to a nut easily.  (Yes, it takes longer but we have not had good luck with gluing a nut on over time.) We also use a #6 Allen head screw to hold the trim motor on since it is easier to put an Allen screw driver ball head on it than a wrench should the trim motor need to be changed some time in the way distant future.  (I've never had a Mac Servo fail,  but I have a D sub on it anyway, just in case.) 

Enjoy Building
Bud

Subject: Re: Re: Clevice \Forks debacle.........
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 08:02:24 +1000
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com

Hi Bud,
Could you please elaborate where the fouling is more specifically? I appreciate knowing this, so I am thankful Bob brought it up. I have the top still off so its ideal I overcome these issues now. 
Regards 
Tony Renshaw

On 23 May 2014, at 7:40, "Bud Yerly" <budyerly(at)msn.com (budyerly(at)msn.com)> wrote:
[quote] Bob,
You are right on the money.  Every aircraft I have built needed about 1/8 off each clevis on the pitch mechanism to allow the trim bar to clear at full elevator and trim travel.  As for interpreting the English Language.... No comment.
Regards,
Bud Yerly

[quote] ---

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: