Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

701 Rear Channel Placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix3(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: 701 Rear Channel Placement Reply with quote

Hello,

I am trying to locate the rear channels in my 701 wing skeletons.  I built a template which seems to measure correctly, but it seems to have placed the rear channels about 3-5 mm too far toward the trailing edge.  When I place the flaperon brackets, they do not correctly align with the top or end of the rib.  Also, the forward edge of the flaperon bracket is not parallel to the rear channel, as the drawings suggest it should be.  It appears that the template positions the rear channel too far back, even though it seems to measure correctly. 

If I move the rear channels forward about 4-5 mm and clamp them, the flaperon brackets fit fine and are positioned properly with respect to the rear channel.  Unfortunately, I have already drilled the holes for the rear channel to rear rib connection.  It seems that I can either use the flaperon brackets as a guide to shift the channel forward, making new rear channels and attachment brackets, or I can use the current positioning and “file to fit” on the flaperon brackets, which really has no appeal.  I am also concerned about rivet edge distances if I modify the flaperon brackets.

Any suggestions or insights are welcome.  I was quite careful with template construction and positioning and am at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck Kyle

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
NYTerminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: 701 Rear Channel Placement Reply with quote

Hi Chuck

In a message dated 6/25/2006 9:07:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Phoenix3(at)cox.net writes:
Quote:

Hello,

I am trying to locate the rear channels in my 701 wing skeletons.  I built a template which seems to measure correctly, but it seems to have placed the rear channels about 3-5 mm too far toward the trailing edge.  When I place the flaperon brackets, they do not correctly align with the top or end of the rib.  Also, the forward edge of the flaperon bracket is not parallel to the rear channel, as the drawings suggest it should be.  It appears that the template positions the rear channel too far back, even though it seems to measure correctly. 
I don't know if you are building from scratch or a kit but make sure if you have predrilled holes in the wing skin that they will line up with the channels. You can easily make new "L" brackets (larger if required) that hold the rear channels and reposition the rear channel to it's correct location. My flaperon brackets required a little trimming to fit correctly. I would spend the time and reposition the channel to the correct location.

Bob Spudis

Quote:

If I move the rear channels forward about 4-5 mm and clamp them, the flaperon brackets fit fine and are positioned properly with respect to the rear channel.  Unfortunately, I have already drilled the holes for the rear channel to rear rib connection.  It seems that I can either use the flaperon brackets as a guide to shift the channel forward, making new rear channels and attachment brackets, or I can use the current positioning and “file to fit” on the flaperon brackets, which really has no appeal.  I am also concerned about rivet edge distances if I modify the flaperon brackets.

Any suggestions or insights are welcome.  I was quite careful with template construction and positioning and am at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks in advance,
Chuck Kyle

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

roger(at)nwtradingpost.co

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: 701 Rear Channel Placement Reply with quote

Kyle

I had no problem with the template, although I spent a lot of time checking the measurements on the front of the template

Roger

701 – busy on wings

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Charles Kyle
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 5:56 PM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: 701 Rear Channel Placement

Hello,

I am trying to locate the rear channels in my 701 wing skeletons.  I built a template which seems to measure correctly, but it seems to have placed the rear channels about 3-5 mm too far toward the trailing edge.  When I place the flaperon brackets, they do not correctly align with the top or end of the rib.  Also, the forward edge of the flaperon bracket is not parallel to the rear channel, as the drawings suggest it should be.  It appears that the template positions the rear channel too far back, even though it seems to measure correctly. 

Thanks in advance,
Chuck Kyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: