Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim.gilliatt(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A transponder,
a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox Series 7 with a
Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring diagram for this
configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old; I have all the
installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the uninformed; I am
floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I may have bitten off
more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'll it give up.
At least I'm learning a whole lot.
Thanks,
Jim Gilliatt
Rhode Island

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

Hi

I take it that 8.33 radios, and mode S transponders are not a (I presume your in) USA requirement for new fits

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:21 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:

Hi All,
I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A transponder, a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox Series 7 with a Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring diagram for this configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old; I have all the installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the uninformed; I am floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I may have bitten off more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'll it give up.
Thanks,
Jim Gilliatt
Rhode Island

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jim.gilliatt(at)att.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

Hi John,
Not to my knowledge, and I have talked to many people who are well aware
of the requirements.
I hope I'm not showing my ignorance here.
Jim

On 7/13/2014 11:33 AM, John Tipton wrote:
Quote:

Hi

I take it that 8.33 radios, and mode S transponders are not a (I presume your in) USA requirement for new fits

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

> On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:21 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi All,
> I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A transponder, a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox Series 7 with a Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring diagram for this configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old; I have all the installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the uninformed; I am floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I may have bitten off more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'll it give up.
> At least I'm learning a whole lot.
> Thanks,
> Jim Gilliatt
> Rhode Island
>
>

JOHN TIPTON

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

You are so lucky Jim: over here (UK/Europe) we have to fit to new builds 8.33 radios, and Mode S transponders, and all aircraft by the end of 2015 are to be so equipped - a lot of surplus equipment will be available !!!

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

Quote:
On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:45 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:

Hi John,
Not to my knowledge, and I have talked to many people who are well aware of the requirements.
I hope I'm not showing my ignorance here.
Jim

> On 7/13/2014 11:33 AM, John Tipton wrote:
>
>
> Hi
>
> I take it that 8.33 radios, and mode S transponders are not a (I presume your in) USA requirement for new fits
>
> John
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> ----x--O--x----
>
>> On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:21 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A transponder, a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox Series 7 with a Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring diagram for this configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old; I have all the installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the uninformed; I am floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I may have bitten off more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'll it give up.
>> At least I'm learning a whole lot.
>> Thanks,
>> Jim Gilliatt
>> Rhode Island

tomhanaway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

If you don't find what you want, contact SteinAir.com and tell them exactly what instruments you'll be installing. They will provide a complete schematic showing where each wire connects to each pin. Great company to do business with.
Worth it's weight in gold for those doing their own wiring. Plus, it gives you and any future operator a reference chart for the future.

I made a copy of mine and marked off each wire as I installed them

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, at 12:21 PM, John Tipton <jmtipton(at)btopenworld.com> wrote:

You are so lucky Jim: over here (UK/Europe) we have to fit to new builds 8.33 radios, and Mode S transponders, and all aircraft by the end of 2015 are to be so equipped - a lot of surplus equipment will be available !!!

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

> On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:45 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi John,
> Not to my knowledge, and I have talked to many people who are well aware of the requirements.
> I hope I'm not showing my ignorance here.
> Jim
>
>> On 7/13/2014 11:33 AM, John Tipton wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I take it that 8.33 radios, and mode S transponders are not a (I presume your in) USA requirement for new fits
>>
>> John
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> ----x--O--x----
>>
>>> On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:21 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A transponder, a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox Series 7 with a Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring diagram for this configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old; I have all the installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the uninformed; I am floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I may have bitten off more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'll it give up.
>>> At least I'm learning a whole lot.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim Gilliatt
>>> Rhode Island

peter(at)sportingaero.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

Jim,

To connect your equipment just take it one step at a time. Draw wiring
diagrams to figure out what needs to go where and then talk to your
local technical counsellor to understand how it all wires together.
Reading Bob's book (the Aeroelectric Connection) is also one of the best
ways to better understand the 'Greek'.

Start radios, leave the Dynon till later, and begin with the power and
grounds. Figure out the current draw and the size of the fuses. Ask
yourself the following questions, and keep asking until you have figured
out what is required to provide all the functions you plan to use.
Identify the pin number on the connector of the source device and where
that signal will go to on the receiving box (connector and pin number).
How will you provide the altitude information to the KT76A? Do you have
an encoder or do you plan to use the Dynon?
Do you plan to use the VOR in the KX155?
Besides the KX155 what audio inputs do you plan to the intercom?
What are you doing for a GPS? Does the EFIS need a GPS input?

We were all a beginner at one point, this stuff is not intuitive to
most, you haven't bitten off more than you can chew - just take it one
bite at a time. There are enough folks here who understand 'Greek' to
help you figure it all out.

Peter
On 13/07/2014 16:21, Jim Gilliatt wrote:
Quote:

<jim.gilliatt(at)att.net>

Hi All,
I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A
transponder, a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox
Series 7 with a Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring
diagram for this configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old;
I have all the installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the
uninformed; I am floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I
may have bitten off more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle
if I'll it give up.
Thanks,
Jim Gilliatt
Rhode Island

tim2542(at)sbcglobal.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

IMO the audio panel to NAV/ comm harness is where you'll most likely have trouble, but it's easy to make once you have the info you need. PSE once had a .ppt on their website depicting how to build that harness. I notice they took it down and I know they won't warrant their panels unless a harness is purchased from a dealer. I have a copy of that ppt if needed.
Bob's cartoons showing how to treat the shields and daisy chain them is good info for you, and you need to understand shields are not used for anything but shields, so no audio on them and they ground at one end only to prevent ground loops. The other thing you'll run into is differing terminology between the various brands, especially "audio low" .
The Dynon is pretty much self contained with no remote magnetometers or AHRS units, so that simplifies things also. You'll have to plow through each install manual several times and make some inquiries when you can't figure it out, but it's all there.
I have my schematic for a 5000EX to Garmin stack, if you would like a copy it may get you started in designing yours. Or maybe someone has the same equipment as you and can supply a drawing.
One tip on the audio harness, since all the shields terminate at the audio panel, you'll have to terminate those to wire and then D-sub pins per Bob's pics or the .ppt. There may be too many to get them into the connector shells so you may want to make those terminations a bit longer so all the splices can be just outside the shell.
Pm if interested in the drawings or ppt.
Tim

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, at 2:36 PM, Peter Pengilly <peter(at)sportingaero.com> wrote:

Jim,

To connect your equipment just take it one step at a time. Draw wiring diagrams to figure out what needs to go where and then talk to your local technical counsellor to understand how it all wires together. Reading Bob's book (the Aeroelectric Connection) is also one of the best ways to better understand the 'Greek'.

Start radios, leave the Dynon till later, and begin with the power and grounds. Figure out the current draw and the size of the fuses. Ask yourself the following questions, and keep asking until you have figured out what is required to provide all the functions you plan to use. Identify the pin number on the connector of the source device and where that signal will go to on the receiving box (connector and pin number).
How will you provide the altitude information to the KT76A? Do you have an encoder or do you plan to use the Dynon?
Do you plan to use the VOR in the KX155?
Besides the KX155 what audio inputs do you plan to the intercom?
What are you doing for a GPS? Does the EFIS need a GPS input?

We were all a beginner at one point, this stuff is not intuitive to most, you haven't bitten off more than you can chew - just take it one bite at a time. There are enough folks here who understand 'Greek' to help you figure it all out.

Peter

> On 13/07/2014 16:21, Jim Gilliatt wrote:
>
>
> Hi All,
> I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A transponder, a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox Series 7 with a Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring diagram for this configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old; I have all the installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the uninformed; I am floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I may have bitten off more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'll it give up.
> At least I'm learning a whole lot.
> Thanks,
> Jim Gilliatt
> Rhode Island

tomhanaway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Learning Reply with quote

If you don't find what you want, contact SteinAir and tell them exactly what instruments you'll be installing. They will provide a complete schematic showing where each wire connects to each pin. Great company to do business with.
Worth it's weight in gold for those doing their own wiring. Plus, it gives you and any future operator a reference chart for the future.

I made a copy of mine and marked off each wire as I installed them

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Jul 13, 2014, at 12:21 PM, John Tipton <jmtipton(at)btopenworld.com> wrote:

John

Sent from my iPad

----x--O--x----

> On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:45 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> Hi John,
> Not to my knowledge, and I have talked to many people who are well aware of the requirements.
> I hope I'm not showing my ignorance here.
> Jim
>
>> On 7/13/2014 11:33 AM, John Tipton wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I take it that 8.33 radios, and mode S transponders are not a (I presume your in) USA requirement for new fits
>>
>> John
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> ----x--O--x----
>>
>>> On 13 Jul 2014, at 04:21 pm, Jim Gilliatt <jim.gilliatt(at)att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>> I am installing a Bendix KX155 transceiver, a Bendix KT 76A transponder, a Dynon EFIS D100 and a PM500EX intercom in a Kitfox Series 7 with a Continental IO240. Can anyone supply me with a wiring diagram for this configuration? It has to be plain to a 6 year old; I have all the installation manuals, and they are mostly Greek to the uninformed; I am floundering around like a beginner, which I am. I may have bitten off more that I can chew, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'll it give up.
>>> At least I'm learning a whole lot.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jim Gilliatt
>>> Rhode Island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: