Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fwd: Re Mark IIIC roll issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank goodnight

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Fwd: Re Mark IIIC roll issue Reply with quote

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:
Quote:
From: Frank Goodnight <frank.goodnight(at)att.net (frank.goodnight(at)att.net)>
Date: September 2, 2014, 4:03:41 PM CDT
To: John Bickham <gearbender(at)bellsouth.net (gearbender(at)bellsouth.net)>
Subject: Re: Re Mark IIIC roll issue

[quote]John,
After reading your e-mail,I found the problem with Bruce's MK3. I decided I would jack up the
outboard ends of the horizontal stabilizers a couple of inches in order to simulate flight
loads and move the controls around. At first everything was normal then all a once the
stick locked up exactly as it does when entering a descending left turn.. Turns out that
at some time either duel sticks were added or the canopy /windshield was changed.
The windshield has 2 aluminum tubes that go from the instrument panel up to the fuselage
that are about 2 ft.apart and the side doors hinge onto them . I fly from the right seat
so when I entered a left descending turn , the top of the other -- the left hand-- stick would
get behind the aluminum tube and lock up the stick .The only way to get any Alieron action
to correct the left turn was to pull hard enough to get a little spring in the left stick. Witch is
why you and I both thought something was about to break. Bruce flew from the left seat
so his problem was getting out of a right turn. The cure --- I cut 1inch off the top of each
stick.Stick now isn't. long enough to get stuck behind the tube &the plane now flys normal. Hard problem to find cause when it locked up I was MUCH more interested in my stick than the other one, also it only locked up when in a desending left turn. Thanks again.
Frank Goodnight
Fayetteville, AR
MK3 classic
Rotax ULS

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 1, 2014, at 4:06 PM, John Bickham <gearbender(at)bellsouth.net (gearbender(at)bellsouth.net)> wrote:

Quote:
Hey Mr Frank,

John H tells me you looking for me. Understand you bought Bruce Chaisson's Mark IIIC and are having some roll/hard stick problems.

I met Bruce when he contacted me regarding the same issue. He wanted me to fly with him because he was having the same problem. I didn't appreciate it until we got in the air. It has been quite a few years and I honestly don't remember in was right or left turn that was difficult. I know I shared your concern about something breaking and asked to get back on the ground.

After investigating all the obvious stuff like wing incidence, aileron deflection, and angle, etc. Took a look at the tail. Found the tail wires to be pretty loose. Because of the folding design of the tail, any flex in the horizontal stabilizers will bind hinges and lock the stick. Partially fold the tail and try to move the stick to see what I'm talking about. On the ground, there are no forces on the tail and stick movement is normal. At flying speed, the lift forces can cause the tell to flex and bind the hinges.

Bruce told me tightening the wires improved things. Can't attest to that personally, never flew with him again. However, he did make the trip to MV and on to the Rock House with us.

Not sure if this is the problem you are having but I'm hoping it is this simple. Check the tail wires and make them as tight as banjo strings. If anything, eliminate this.

Call me if you need to discuss. Cell =225-505-4353
Apologize in advance if u may have to leave a message. I'll get back to you. Running pretty hard to get things done before leaving for the Rock House this Sunday.

Be safe. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks 2 much,
John Bickham

[b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: