Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight West 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Flight West 2014 Reply with quote

Hi Folks:

Miracles never cease to amaze me. I found a computer that works at the airport in Ely, Nevada.

Decided to celebrate my 75th year with another round trip across CONUS. Haven't been through Monument Valley in 5 years, so decided to take the long way to the next Kolb/Rock House Flyin near Burns Junction, Oregon. Departed Gantt International Airport, Titus, Alabama, Sunday morning at 0800. After 8 hours of flying, landed at Sherman, Texax, where I spent the night in the FOB. Another 8 hours of flying got me to Los Lunas, New Mexico, where I spent the night with friends at Midland Airpark. They are also flying to the Rock House, Friday. Yesterday I flew 4 hours and after the third attempt, got the Kolb MKIII on the ground. Wished I had had a video camera. It was exciting. Landed in a rain storm, unusual for MV, with extreme cross wind. Velocity, I do not know, but don't want to do it again. Today I have flown 4 hours. I have another 2 hours to make Elko, Nevada, where I will dine at the Star Hotel, enjoy some wonderful Basque food (I've been here before), and spend the night with friends. Tomorrow will be an easy 2 hour flight across the mountains to the Rock House. If I deviate to the east a little, there is a gravel strip at Owyhee, NV. Other than that, it is high desert wilderness and mountains with pointy tops.

Wish you all were here.

john hauck
Ely, NV

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Titus, Alabama
capedavis(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Flight West 2014 Reply with quote

John,I wish """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Iwas there also !jjust had my 42nd anniversary and my 63 birthday got married the day i turned 21.WHAT A WOMAN .Have a great trip . your friend Chris

Chris Davis
KXP 503 492 hrs
Glider Pilot
Disabled from crash building Firefly

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:45 PM, "jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com> wrote:

[quote]

--> Kolb-List message posted by: <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>
Hi Folks:

Miracles never cease to amaze me. I found a computer that works at the airport in Ely, Nevada.

Decided to celebrate my 75th year with another round trip across CONUS. Haven't been through Monument Valley in 5 years, so decided to take the long way to the next Kolb/Rock House Flyin near Burns Junction, Oregon. Departed Gantt International Airport, Titus, Alabama, Sunday morning at 0800. After 8 hours of flying, landed at Sherman, Texax, where I spent the night in the FOB. Another 8 hours of flying got me to Los Lunas, New Mexico, where I spent the night with friends at Midland Airpark. They are also flying to the Rock House, Friday. Yesterday I flew 4 hours and after the third attempt, got the Kolb MKIII on the ground. Wished I had had a video camera. It was exciting. Landed in a rain storm, unusual for MV, with extreme cross wind. Velocity, I do not know, but don't want to do it again. Today I have flown 4 hours. I have another 2 hours to make Elko, Nevada, where I will dine at the Star Hotel, enjoy some wonderful Basque food (I've been here before), and sp!
end the night with friends. Tomorrow will be an easy 2 hour flight across the mountains to the Rock House. If I deviate to the east a little, there is a gravel strip at Owyhee, NV. Other than that, it is high desert wilderness and mountains with pointy tops.

Wish you all were here.

john hauck
Ely, [quote][b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

kolbaircraft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Flight West 2014 Reply with quote

MR John Hauck called yesterday morning from Monument Valley Utah . He had landed there Tuesday the 9TH.He said the rest of the day he just relaxed and enjoyed his time there. He was having a cup of coffee waiting for daylight to fly over to Bryce Canyon for some fuel. Than he is on To Elko, NV and to The Rock House for today the 11TH.. The trip is going great. The Kolb MIII is doing beautiful. He flew 8 hours Sunday and another 8 hours Monday ,4 hours Tuesday . He is having a wonderful trip in all aspects . He ask me to share this update with the Kolb group, family,friends.
Travis

Frankd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Flight West 2014 Reply with quote

Hi John/kolbers,

Way to go, John!!!
I am amazed... you are truly taking the saying "live life to the fullest" and making it happen..
A few 8 hour days of flying is no small feat, I find I'm tired after flying my kolb around for an hour or so... A long cross country would be a huge effort for me but you just jump in and go!! Well done..

And I'm only 55.. OK I have a hip implant but still...

I think this is a testament to your continual improvement of your bird, you have kept working on it to make it better and I am inspired to do the same, always think of ways to improve and keep it in tip-top condition.

I carefully read all of your recommendations and think how I can use that information. Thank you.

And thanks Homer, I am happy I have a KOLB which gives me the opportunity to experiment and fly LSA, inexpensively, at the same time.. its a GREAT aircraft for lots of things.

Have a great time and a safe trip home.
If you come by San Jose/Hollister in California you are welcome at my place anytime.

FrankD
Mk III Xtra,
N1014S

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Flight West 2014 Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments, Frank D.

This flight has been one of the best. The MKIII was absolutely flawless. I did have to tighten one radiator clamp that I failed to snug up when I replaced the radiator hoses prior to this trip. The Rotax 912ULS never missed a beat. I believe they get better after a few long flight days. Cleans them out and loosens them up.

I have had an electrical problem bugging me for a few years now. Engine oil temp and oil pressure gauges had a mind of their own. The bad thing was the oil temp would read high and the pressure low after takeoff. I've had the instrument panel off several times. Removed and replaced connections, checked wiring, but never could get them to read correctly. Always....first thought is an engine problem. After about the second day of this trip I noticed the gauges were all pointing where they were supposed to be pointing, and they continued to indicate as they should. Go figure...

Our Kolb group is getting larger at the Rock House. Most folks that are attending will be arriving this week. Wish you all could be here to share the fun.

john h
mkIII
Rock House, Oregon

Quote:
Way to go, John!!!

Quote:
And thanks Homer, I am happy I have a KOLB which gives me the opportunity to experiment and fly LSA, inexpensively, at the same time.. its a GREAT aircraft for lots of things.

Have a great time and a safe trip home.
If you come by San Jose/Hollister in California you are welcome at my place anytime.

FrankD
Mk III Xtra,
N1014S

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=430463#430463

Titus, Alabama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: