Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Engine Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernon.franklin(at)gmail.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone, hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
Our engine came in last week, and I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find answers to.
1) What torque should the Engine Mount Ears be attached with?  The closest I have found is in the Lycoming Service Table of Limits; and the best I can determine is 30 Ft.Lbs.  Can anyone verify?
2) The engine ships with preservation oil, and the procedure calls for you to tilt the engine side to side to drain the oil out of the bottom plugs.  Being as though it may be another year before I actually start the engine up, should I leave the preservation oil in and worry about emptying it closer to first start up?  Or should I empty it now where I do have the ability of tilting it side to side on the engine hoist, and put the first batch of lubrication oil in?  What have others done?
3) Van's sent me Lycoming Service Instruction 1435; conversion from fixed pitch to constant speed prop.  Am I correct to assume that the stock IO-540 from Lycoming is already set up for constant speed?  Or is this something we all have to do to convert it from fixed pitch?
4) Slick Start Magneto Booster - Is this thing really worth $800?  Anyone out there have experience with and without the booster?

5) A little off topic; but propellers.  I wanted to go 3 bladed, because I love the comfort and smoothness 3 blades gives you over 2 bladed props.  I chose the MT over the Hartzell propeller, mainly because it was $5k cheaper.  Is this a decision I am going to regret later?  Anyone have any experience with both MT and Hartzell, any input?

Thanks!

--
Vernon Franklin

[quote][b]

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

I'll reply below.

Jesse SaintI-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org (jesse(at)itecusa.org)
www.itecusa.org
www.mavericklsa.com
C: 352-427-0285
O: 352-465-4545
F: 815-377-3694
Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 30, 2014, at 6:02 PM, Vernon Franklin <vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Our engine came in last week, and I have a few questions that I cannot seem to find answers to.
1) What torque should the Engine Mount Ears be attached with? The closest I have found is in the Lycoming Service Table of Limits; and the best I can determine is 30 Ft.Lbs. Can anyone verify?
That sounds right, but go with the steel but to steel studs torque value. Some of those nuts are really hard to get a good grip on to tighten.
Quote:

2) The engine ships with preservation oil, and the procedure calls for you to tilt the engine side to side to drain the oil out of the bottom plugs. Being as though it may be another year before I actually start the engine up, should I leave the preservation oil in and worry about emptying it closer to first start up? Or should I empty it now where I do have the ability of tilting it side to side on the engine hoist, and put the first batch of lubrication oil in? What have others done?
I'd leave it. Make sure not to turn the crankshaft at all until you are close to being ready to run it. You don't absolutely need to get every drop of oil out. You can just drain it and add new oil to run. Also, you want to have a quickdrain on hand when you are ready to oil the engine so you can replace the plug with it.
Quote:

3) Van's sent me Lycoming Service Instruction 1435; conversion from fixed pitch to constant speed prop. Am I correct to assume that the stock IO-540 from Lycoming is already set up for constant speed? Or is this something we all have to do to convert it from fixed pitch?
It should be set up for constant speed, but will probably have a crankshaft front plug it to seal the steel. When you pull it out (later), make sure the aft plug is in (about 6 inches back from the front plug) and you're good to go.
Quote:

4) Slick Start Magneto Booster - Is this thing really worth $800? Anyone out there have experience with and without the booster?

If you don't have an impulse coupled mag, you need the slick start. For some reason engines from Van's don't come stock with impulse coupled mags.
Quote:

5) A little off topic; but propellers. I wanted to go 3 bladed, because I love the comfort and smoothness 3 blades gives you over 2 bladed props. I chose the MT over the Hartzell propeller, mainly because it was $5k cheaper. Is this a decision I am going to regret later? Anyone have any experience with both MT and Hartzell, any input?

The Hartzell composite prop is a little slower than the MT, although it is much sexier. The nicest looking 3-blade, IMHO, is the whirlwind. Next is the aero composite (not in production any more, but available used for good price, contact me off list about one). The Hartzell is nice, but the blades are really fat. The MT is, IMHO, the least desirable based on looks, and possibly based on durability. All 3-blade props are more work than the Hartzell 2-blade, mainly due to the difficulty of removing the bottom cowl. Also, the metal blades are more durable and nick-resistant than composite blades. The 2-blade is at least as fast as the fastest 3-blade, if not faster.
[quote]

Thanks!

--
Vernon Franklin

Quote:

D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ot;">www.aeroelectric.com
books.com"">www.buildersbooks.com
quot;">www.homebuilthelp.com
quot;">www.mypilotstore.com
">www.mrrace.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
//forums.matronics.com

[b]

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

1. I don't have my engine manual handy, cannot answer.
2. By all means, leave the preservation oil in. But the cylinders may be full of oil, do not rotate the prop/crankshaft. When ready to run, pull all plugs, rotate the crank, oil will come out the bottom plug holes and make a mess. Drain oil and add mineral oil.
3. My Vans engine came with the plug in the crank for fixed pitch, I had to pull it. Yours may be different. If you have it the plug is just an inch or two in from the flange
4. The standard engine from Vans does not have impulse mags. Just one with a retard mag. I would say the Slick start is necessary. With a good battery it might start without the Slickstart but you risk kickback if you don't use the retard feature.
5. Props. Well, you stated the reasons why you want to spend more to go slower (compared to a two blade). For sure, modify the lower cowl by extending the nose gear slot further forward (re-attachable with screws) so you can get the lower cowl off with a three blade in the way.

Leeverett

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

I have a comment about the prop. I have the 2 blade Hartzell and my friend Dan in the same hangar has the MT 3 blade. I have the stock IO 540 and he has the tuned air induction engine-probably 15 HP more. We have conducted non scientific tests. On a climb to 1000 feet he is a hundred feet ahead of me. In a cruise same mp and rpm I Am about 7 kts faster. The biggest problem I see with the 3 blade in that you have to pull the tail almost to the floor to remove the bottom cowl. Both good props though.
Leon Everett

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 17:02:05 -0600
Subject: RV10-List: New Engine Questions
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com

1) What torque should the Engine Mount Ears be attached with?  The closest I have found is in the Lycoming Service Table of Limits; and the best I can determine is 30 Ft.Lbs.  Can anyone verify?
2) The engine ships with preservation oil, and the procedure calls for you to tilt the engine side to side to drain the oil out of the bottom plugs.  Being as though it may be another year before I actually start the engine up, should I leave the preservation oil in and worry about emptying it closer to first start up?  Or should I empty it now where I do have the ability of tilting it side to side on the engine hoist, and put the first batch of lubrication oil in?  What have others done?
3) Van's sent me Lycoming Service Instruction 1435; conversion from fixed pitch to constant speed prop.  Am I correct to assume that the stock IO-540 from Lycoming is already set up for constant speed?  Or is this something we all have to do to convert it from fixed pitch?
4) Slick Start Magneto Booster - Is this thing really worth $800?  Anyone out there have experience with and without the booster?

5) A little off topic; but propellers.  I wanted to go 3 bladed, because I love the comfort and smoothness 3 blades gives you over 2 bladed props.  I chose the MT over the Hartzell propeller, mainly because it was $5k cheaper.  Is this a decision I am going to regret later?  Anyone have any experience with both MT and Hartzell, any input?

Thanks!

--
Vernon Franklin

[quote]

et=_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
ks.com" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
rget=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com
rget=_blank>www.mypilotstore.com
=_blank>www.mrrace.com
rget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
ist" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ank>http://forums.matronics.com

[b]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

See below.

Jesse Saint
I-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org
www.itecusa.org
www.mavericklsa.com

Sent from my iPhone

Quote:
On Nov 30, 2014, at 7:13 PM, Bob Turner <bobturner(at)alum.rpi.edu> wrote:

1. I don't have my engine manual handy, cannot answer.
2. By all means, leave the preservation oil in. But the cylinders may be full of oil, do not rotate the prop/crankshaft. When ready to run, pull all plugs, rotate the crank, oil will come out the bottom plug holes and make a mess.
Then fill with new oil and crank with the plugs out until you get oil pressure before going to fire the first time.

Quote:
3. My Vans engine came with the plug in the crank for fixed pitch, I had to pull it. Yours may be different. If you have it the plug is just an inch or two in from the flange
There are two plug locations, one for fixed pitch and one for constant speed. The Van's engine comes with both plugs in, so you pull the front one for constant speed. If you want fixed pitch, you have to pull the front plug, remove or punch a hole in the rear plug, the put a new front plug in.

Quote:
4. The standard engine from Vans does not have impulse mags. Just one with a retard mag. I would say the Slick start is necessary. With a good battery it might start without the Slickstart but you risk kickback if you don't use the retard feature.
It will start fine cold and with a great battery, but hot start will likely not fire. Ask me how I know.

Quote:
5. Props. Well, you stated the reasons why you want to spend more to go slower (compared to a two blade). For sure, modify the lower cowl by extending the nose gear slot further forward (re-attachable with screws) so you can get the lower cowl off with a three blade in the way.
Amen to the 2-blade, brother!

Quote:

--------
Bob Turner
RV-10 QB

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=435187#435187

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

The scientific way to test is to trade props and do the same test.

Jesse SaintI-TEC, Inc.
jesse(at)itecusa.org (jesse(at)itecusa.org)
www.itecusa.org
www.mavericklsa.com
Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 30, 2014, at 7:26 PM, LEON EVERETT <leeverett(at)msn.com (leeverett(at)msn.com)> wrote:
[quote] I have a comment about the prop. I have the 2 blade Hartzell and my friend Dan in the same hangar has the MT 3 blade. I have the stock IO 540 and he has the tuned air induction engine-probably 15 HP more. We have conducted non scientific tests. On a climb to 1000 feet he is a hundred feet ahead of me. In a cruise same mp and rpm I Am about 7 kts faster. The biggest problem I see with the 3 blade in that you have to pull the tail almost to the floor to remove the bottom cowl. Both good props though.
Leon Everett

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 17:02:05 -0600
Subject: RV10-List: New Engine Questions
From: vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com (vernon.franklin(at)gmail.com)
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)

1) What torque should the Engine Mount Ears be attached with? The closest I have found is in the Lycoming Service Table of Limits; and the best I can determine is 30 Ft.Lbs. Can anyone verify?
2) The engine ships with preservation oil, and the procedure calls for you to tilt the engine side to side to drain the oil out of the bottom plugs. Being as though it may be another year before I actually start the engine up, should I leave the preservation oil in and worry about emptying it closer to first start up? Or should I empty it now where I do have the ability of tilting it side to side on the engine hoist, and put the first batch of lubrication oil in? What have others done?
3) Van's sent me Lycoming Service Instruction 1435; conversion from fixed pitch to constant speed prop. Am I correct to assume that the stock IO-540 from Lycoming is already set up for constant speed? Or is this something we all have to do to convert it from fixed pitch?
4) Slick Start Magneto Booster - Is this thing really worth $800? Anyone out there have experience with and without the booster?

5) A little off topic; but propellers. I wanted to go 3 bladed, because I love the comfort and smoothness 3 blades gives you over 2 bladed props. I chose the MT over the Hartzell propeller, mainly because it was $5k cheaper. Is this a decision I am going to regret later? Anyone have any experience with both MT and Hartzell, any input?

Thanks!

--
Vernon Franklin

Quote:

et=_blank>www.aeroelectric.com
ks.com" target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com
rget=_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com
rget=_blank>www.mypilotstore.com
=_blank>www.mrrace.com
rget=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/contribution
ist" target=_blank>http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
ank>http://forums.matronics.com

ot;">www.aeroelectric.com
books.com"">www.buildersbooks.com
quot;">www.homebuilthelp.com
quot;">www.mypilotstore.com
">www.mrrace.com
ot;">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
List"">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
//forums.matronics.com

[b]

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

Jesse is correct, of course. I've read one A-B comparison here: RV10 owner had a 3 blade MT, had to send it back for repair (FOD), got a 2 blade loaner. 2 blade was faster (I forget the numbers) enough he was looking to sell the repaired MT.

rv10flyer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

I would go with the three blade Hartzell for less vibration if doing it over and I had plenty of money in the bank. Who cares about a few knots on a 3-4 hr trip. Just get to the airport 10 minutes earlier.

wgreenley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

Reports I have heard say that the two blade can be just as smooth if you get it dynamically balanced.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 11:54 PM, rv10flyer <wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com (wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> RV10-List message posted by: "rv10flyer" <wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com (wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com)>

I would go with the three blade Hartzell for less vibration if doing it over and I had plenty of money in the bank. Who cares about a few knots on a 3-4 hr trip. Just get to the airport 10 minutes earlier.

--------
Wayne G.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=436642#436642

===========
br> fts!)
r> > com" target="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
w.buildersbooks.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
p.com" target="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
e.com" target="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
" target="_blank">www.mrrace.com
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========

[b]

Kellym

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

A two blade can be made relatively smooth with dynamic balancing. It
will not be as smooth as a balanced 3 blade. Simple physics.
A six cylinder fires every 120 degrees. A three bladed prop has the
blades 120 degrees apart. Same reason a 2 blade is smoother on a 4 cyl
engine than a 3 blade, because a 4 cyl fires every 180 degrees.
A composite prop, whether carbon fiber, or fiberglass over wood will be
smoother than a metal blade, because the composite blades have some flex
and absorb vibration. Composite blades allow more optimization of blade
shape than is possible with metal, so they tend to have less speed
difference than a metal 3 blade. I've seen many reports of 3 bladed
composite giving up no detectable speed to a 2 blade metal prop.
However, blades cost money, composite costs money. So 2 blade aluminum
will always be your lowest cost if marketing doesn't play games.
On 1/5/2015 7:32 AM, William Greenley wrote:
Quote:
Reports I have heard say that the two blade can be just as smooth if
you get it dynamically balanced.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 11:54 PM, rv10flyer <wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com
<mailto:wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com>> wrote:

<wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com <mailto:wayne.gillispie(at)gmail.com>>

I would go with the three blade Hartzell for less vibration if
doing it over and I had plenty of money in the bank. Who cares
about a few knots on a 3-4 hr trip. Just get to the airport 10
minutes earlier.

--------
Wayne G.

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=436642#436642

===========
br> fts!)
r> > com" target="_blank">www.aeroelectric.com
w.buildersbooks.com" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
p.com" target="_blank">www.homebuilthelp.com
e.com" target="_blank">www.mypilotstore.com
" target="_blank">www.mrrace.com
target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========

rv10flyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Engine Questions Reply with quote

Mine has been dynamically balanced and I have flown behind both props. I just did not have the funds for the upgrade. We still love our family hauler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: