Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy Independance Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Schnabel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Happy Independance Day Reply with quote

Kolber's, today another American Holiday is upon us, and I hope most of you are able to spend some Quality time with your family and friends in celebration. And that many hours of safe fun flying will be logged today. And for our friends abroad, even without the holiday, many hours of safe fun flying all the same!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To keep this Kolb related, I have plans today for the first engine run up, and maybe even some taxi practice on my grass strip (weather permitting).

Standing at the end of the strip last evening talking with some family members about how amazing it is that we have the freedom to enjoy whatever activity it is we choose to pursue, I thought it was ironic I received an email from a long lost friend, whose text was sparse, but included a poem that I have not seen since reading it on a wall somewhere at Lackland AFB during basic training...

Freedom Is Not Free
I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Marine saluted it,
And then he stood at ease.

I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
With hair cut square and eyes alert,
He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him,
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil,
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom is not free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still.
I listened to the bugler play,
And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant "Amen,"
When a flag had draped a coffin.
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands,
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea,
Of unmarked graves in Arlington,
No, freedom is not free.

Enjoy Your Freedom & God Bless Our Troops

Everyone have a great, fun and safe day!

Mike S
Manchester TN
Firestar 2 503

do not archive

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Independance Day Reply with quote

Thank you for rembering and your Poem. They each and everyone deserve our Prayers and respect. Both to them and their sacrafice!

And for their families, Our appreciation should also go.

Yesterday, here in Ohio on the Ohio State University TV Channel, I was again reminded of both Germany and Japan. And the sacrafices that our Nation made as a people, along with the soldiers. they were times unlike any other and created a bond among a people that lasted long into the 70's and 80's.

I think many if not most may have forgotten the price that freedom really costs when someone in the world wants a piece of ya! Probably every life in some way was effected by loss in some form or another by the inability of people to agree and get along. Oh, the ways of man!

Ohio Ralph

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: