Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AKZO primer question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: AKZO primer question Reply with quote

Listers,

No, I don't want to start a war.

I have 2 one gallon cans (base and curing solution) of Dexter (AKZO) 2 part epoxy primer that are now 5 years old.  The label  says the maximum shelf life is 2 years -- mil spec, etc.  They have been kept at room temperature the whole time (air conditioned in summer, greater than 60 degrees in winter).  The contents look good after stirring the base for about 5 minutes.

I mixed some up and waited 1/2 hour and sprayed it on a piece of scotch-bright scuffed aluminum.  After curing it seems to be very hard and works like new as far as I can tell.

Here is the question:  what would be the failure mode of using this old primer?  I hate to throw away $130 plus shipping if it is actually OK to use.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

- The Matronics RV-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV-List
klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: AKZO primer question Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
Don't have an answer in regards to the failure mode for you, but if it checks out O.K. on a test piece then I would definitely use it up...
do not archive
[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

deruiteraircraftservices(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: AKZO primer question Reply with quote

Hi,

Subject to certain conditions the aircraft factories re-life paint related materials if they have their own labs.

Do a tape test on your test piece. Use a good quality masking tape(3M) press it onto the piece with a spreader and then pull off without doubling over.(yank it off) if the primer stays on the adhesion is still reasonable good.
The problem of using expired parimer/paint is usually adhesion. Some two packs sometimes don't harden out.
[quote] ---

seiders(at)bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: AKZO primer question Reply with quote

Dan, I spoke with a friend who operates an auto body and paint shop (he painted my RV6A doing a beautiful job) and he says primer should be ok but check hardener and if yellowed replace it.
Dick

At 09:12 AM 7/10/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
Listers,

I have 2 one gallon cans (base and curing solution) of Dexter (AKZO) 2 part epoxy primer that are now 5 years old.  The label  says the maximum shelf life is 2 years -- mil spec, etc.  They have been kept at room temperature the whole time (air conditioned in summer, greater than 60 degrees in winter).  The contents look good after stirring the base for about 5 minutes.

I mixed some up and waited 1/2 hour and sprayed it on a piece of scotch-bright scuffed aluminum.  After curing it seems to be very hard and works like new as far as I can tell.

Here is the question:  what would be the failure mode of using this old primer?  I hate to throw away $130 plus shipping if it is actually OK to use.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

Hopperdhh(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: AKZO primer question Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Richard, it is slightly amber colored -- kind of like the color of auto gas.  Does anyone know if it had any color to start with.  I don't remember.  The primer sprays and cures OK.  It is as hard as nails just like it was 4 or 5 years ago.  Its amazing stuff for those of you who haven't used it.

How would I replace the hardener?  Is it cheaper than the base?  I bought them both from Aircraft Spruce together.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

In a message dated 7/10/2006 1:12:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, seiders(at)bellsouth.net writes:
[quote]--> RV-List message posted by: Richard Seiders Dan, I spoke with a friend who operates an auto body and paint shop (he painted my RV6A doing a beautiful job) and he says primer should be ok but check hardener and if yellowed replace it.
Dick

Quote:
Listers,

I have 2 one gallon cans (base and curing solution) of Dexter (AKZO) 2 part epoxy primer that are now 5 years old.  The label  says the maximum shelf life is 2 years -- mil spec, etc.  They have been kept at room temperature the whole time (air conditioned in summer, greater than 60 degrees in winter).  The contents look good after stirring the base for about 5 minutes.

I mixed some up and waited 1/2 hour and sprayed it on a piece of scotch-bright scuffed aluminum.  After curing it seems to be very hard and works like new as far as I can tell.

Dan ==================================================== vigator = and ist ==================================================Matt =====================================

Tim(at)MyRV10.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: AKZO primer question Reply with quote

That's the right color. If it were me, I'd just use it.
If your quick test shows it's tough, then I'm betting you'll
be just fine, and richer for not spending more cash.

Tim Olson - RV-10 N104CD - Flying
do not archive
Hopperdhh(at)aol.com wrote:
Quote:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Richard, it is slightly amber colored -- kind of like the color of auto
gas. Does anyone know if it had any color to start with. I don't
remember. The primer sprays and cures OK. It is as hard as nails just
like it was 4 or 5 years ago. Its amazing stuff for those of you who
haven't used it.

How would I replace the hardener? Is it cheaper than the base? I
bought them both from Aircraft Spruce together.

Dan Hopper
RV-7A

In a message dated 7/10/2006 1:12:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
seiders(at)bellsouth.net writes:

friend who operates an auto body and paint shop (he painted my RV6A
doing a beautiful job) and he says primer should be ok but check
hardener and if yellowed replace it.
Dick

> Listers,
>
> No, I don't want to start a war.
>
> I have 2 one gallon cans (base and curing solution) of Dexter
> (AKZO) 2 part epoxy primer that are now 5 years old. The label
> says the maximum shelf life is 2 years -- mil spec, etc. They
> have been kept at room temperature the whole time (air conditioned
> in summer, greater than 60 degrees in winter). The contents look
> good after stirring the base for about 5 minutes.
>
> I mixed some up and waited 1/2 hour and sprayed it on a piece of
> scotch-bright scuffed aluminum. After curing it seems to be very
> hard and works like new as far as I can tell.
>
> Here is the question: what would be the failure mode of using
> this old primer? I hate to throw away $130 plus shipping if it is
> actually OK to use.
>
> Dan ==================================================== vigator =
> and ist ==================================================Matt
> =====================================

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: