Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milreed(at)directcon.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Please advise what GPS I should buy to use here on the ranch
[url=]http://www.directcon.net/reedranch/[/url]
on the ground as well as later in my 701 when I get it built? How do you correlate Latitude and Longitude with township and range ? 
Mil Reed

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
jpellien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Milburn,

396 with weather overlay  $2495.  Can buy a cradle for it in your airplane and another for your car.  Plop it into your aircraft to see aviation information (moving map), as well as weather conditions via satellite,…you can also see the locations of other nearby aircraft, just like what the controllers see,  for all aircraft that are using a transponder, provided you also have the GTX-330 Transponder with Traffic Information Service (TIS).

Then take the 396 out of the aircraft after your flight and put it into the automobile cradle and see a moving map of roadways, interstates, restaurant locations and stores.

There are many less capable GPS systems from Garmin starting at about $400.  Just do a google search on “Aviation GPS” and have fund learning about all of the new GPS offerings.  The 396 is probably the best price/performance Portable GPS on the market as I speak.

Jim

Jim Pellien
Mid-Atlantic Sports Planes
Sky Bryce Airport (VG18)
Basye, VA
www.MASPL.com
703-313-4818

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Milburn Reed
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 8:08 PM
To: zenith-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: GPS

http://www.directcon.net/reedranch/

on the ground as well as later in my 701 when I get it built? How do you correlate Latitude and Longitude with township and range ? 

Mil Reed

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

703-851-9375
www.MASPL.com
"Learn-2-Fly-in-1-Week"
frank.hinde(at)hp.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

And then come back to your car to fin the windows smashed and your 396 GONE!...Assuming you forgot and left it in your car of course...Smile

Frank

Do not archive

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Pellien
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 6:59 PM
Subject: RE: Zenith-List: GPS

Milburn,

396 with weather overlay  $2495.  Can buy a cradle for it in your airplane and another for your car.  Plop it into your aircraft to see aviation information (moving map), as well as weather conditions via satellite,…you can also see the locations of other nearby aircraft, just like what the controllers see,  for all aircraft that are using a transponder, provided you also have the GTX-330 Transponder with Traffic Information Service (TIS).

Then take the 396 out of the aircraft after your flight and put it into the automobile cradle and see a moving map of roadways, interstates, restaurant locations and stores.

There are many less capable GPS systems from Garmin starting at about $400.  Just do a google search on “Aviation GPS” and have fund learning about all of the new GPS offerings.  The 396 is probably the best price/performance Portable GPS on the market as I speak.

Jim

Jim Pellien
Sky Bryce Airport (VG18)
Basye, VA
www.MASPL.com
703-313-4818

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Milburn Reed
Subject: Zenith-List: GPS

Mil Reed

bjohnson(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

That transponder is almost FOUR GRAND!!!!

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Jim Pellien
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 8:59 PM
Subject: RE: GPS

Milburn,

Jim

Jim Pellien
Sky Bryce Airport (VG18)
Basye, VA
www.MASPL.com
703-313-4818

Mil Reed

jpellien

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. A little under $4000 for the Garmin GTX 330.   Do you know of a less expensive way to get transponder operating air traffic info into the cockpit and displayed on a moving map?  I’d like to hear about it, if there is a better, cheaper alternative.  

Jim

Jim Pellien
Sky Bryce Airport (VG18)
Basye, VA
www.MASPL.com
703-313-4818

From: owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-zenith-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of B Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:57 AM

That transponder is almost FOUR GRAND!!!!

Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 8:59 PM

Milburn,

Jim

Jim Pellien
Sky Bryce Airport (VG18)
Basye, VA
www.MASPL.com
703-313-4818

Mil Reed

703-851-9375
www.MASPL.com
"Learn-2-Fly-in-1-Week"
p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I am sure you are right that the Garmin equipment is very good if the buyer wants all that fancy stuff.  On the other hand, I believe the original question was about GPS. 

You can get a quite functional GPS for under $500 if that is what you want.  I bought a Lowrance Airmap 500 about a year ago on special for a little over $300.  It is a quite functional aviation GPS.  It has a small black and white screen and doesn't do any of the really fancy stuff like displaying  terrain, satellite weather, or radar transponder stuff.  On the other hand It knows where all the airports are and can easily help any pilot stay oriented and on the proper path to his destination.  It is a very sophisticated navigation device that anyone would have killed for 20 years ago.  Now it is just entry level electronic wizardry.

I am sure there are many choices in between these extremes.  I bought the Airmap 500 since it was inexpensive and I wanted to learn how to use a GPS.  I had read articles pointing out that many pilots couldn't figure out how to operate these gizmos.  After months of using it in my car I can understand why it takes a considerable amount of practice and not a few mistakes to get this technology to work for you.  If you only have one (with all the extra bells and whistles) in a rental plane to play with then I can imagine you will never get it figured out.

I will probably buy a larger GPS with a color screen to go in my plane when it is at that stage.  For now, the low end unit is just fine for me.  Another possibility is I will buy an EFIS system with built in GPS.  I hope the experience I had with the low end unit will make learning the more sophisticated equipment easier.

Paul
XL fuselage

At 05:15 PM 7/18/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. A little under $4000 for the Garmin GTX 330.   Do you know of a less expensive way to get transponder operating air traffic info into the cockpit and displayed on a moving map?  I’d like to hear about it, if there is a better, cheaper alternative. 

Jim

-

milreed(at)directcon.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Thank you [url=mailto:p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net------]p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)------[/url] good advise to us po fok building a ch 701----- I can use that low cost unit (have seen on sale for 299 and a Garmin already),until I sell a 160 acre parcel, then will probably need something else (bigger tractor?)
Milburn Reed  

ggower_99(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Hello Milburn,

I think that more important that getting a GPS (and learning all his "goodies") is to learn to navigate with the charts (the old way)  this needs a little study from your old private pilot school books Smile   and lots of practice (is also fun)  my last cross country was planned and I used the  compas, windows (not the computer one Smile, chart, plotter rule, computer rule, watch and pencil...   Was lots of fun,

Even flying over known  area,  is easy to get lost, not that you dont know where you are, BUT to find your actual position with accuracy in the chart  Smile

Fly for fun and practice the basics,  the GPS is a very good backup instrument...

Sorry, forgot firstto look at the satelite weather page at home before any flight,  dont fly in marginal weather.  Too risky to smash that expensive GPS Smile

Saludos
Gary Gower.
Flying from Chapala, Mexico.
701 912S.
Building a 601 XL.

Milburn Reed <milreed(at)directcon.net> wrote:
Quote:
Thank you (p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net)p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net ([email]p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net------[/email]) ([email]p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net------[/email]) ([email]p.mulwitz(at)worldnet.att.net------[/email])------ good advise to us po fok building a ch 701----- I can use that low cost unit (have seen on sale for 299 and a Garmin already),until I sell a 160 acre parcel, then will probably need something else (bigger tractor?)
Milburn Reed  

Larry Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Why dig with a shovel, when you got a backhoe?  Do not archive, Larry
[quote] ---

Dusty(at)promiserock.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

When the backhoe busts a hydraulic line and the sh*t is overflowing into your basement,  you best know how to use the shovel.....

Dusty
[quote] ---

hrs1(at)frontiernet.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
[quote] *Why dig with a shovel, when you got a backhoe? Do not archive, Larry*

---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: