Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb to be burned at end of flying season

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bczygan(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Listers,
  I have met a gentleman who has a Kolb, I believe it is a Firestar. He is a longtime UL pilot who is disgusted with SP, tired of flying alone as the only UL pilot in his area, and has another hobby to replace flying. He is wary of other peoples intentions and afraid of the liability of selling the aircraft. He has decided that burning the aircraft at the end of this flying season is the best course of action. Now, obviously I can not, and will not reveal his name to protect his anonymity, but I need well reasoned and heartfelt entreaties to help him find a better way out of his difficulties. I am not a Kolb owner but see this as a needless waste. Any suggestions?

Bill Czygan 

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com. [url=http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40762/*http://www.yahoo.com/preview] Check it out.[/url]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
APilot(at)webtv.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Any lawyer can sue anybody for anything. I have sold quite a few
ultralights, but never one that was flying. If it was flying, I tore it
down to kit form and then had any buyer sign an agreement to the effect
that the kit would be completed by the buyer and the buyer would assure
the airworthiness of the aircraft before flight. Nothing is fool proof,
but this the precaution that I have used and, of course, the agreement
must be signed by a witnness with contact information as a part of the
agreement. It is a shame to burn a airplane, but it looks like I am
about to burn my Mitchell B-10 because I can find nobody who wants to
complete it. My Kolb is flying so nice now that finishing that project
would waste good flying time.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

dhkey(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Tell him to get out of the plane before he starts the fire.
Quote:
Reply-To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 21:11:08 -0700 (PDT)

Listers,
I have met a gentleman who has a Kolb, I believe it is a Firestar. He
is a longtime UL pilot who is disgusted with SP, tired of flying alone as
the only UL pilot in his area, and has another hobby to replace flying. He
is wary of other peoples intentions and afraid of the liability of selling
the aircraft. He has decided that burning the aircraft at the end of this
flying season is the best course of action. Now, obviously I can not, and
will not reveal his name to protect his anonymity, but I need well reasoned
and heartfelt entreaties to help him find a better way out of his
difficulties. I am not a Kolb owner but see this as a needless waste. Any
suggestions?

Bill Czygan
---------------------------------
See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com. Check it out.

biglar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Naw, tell the idiot to stay in it. (joke) It won't burn anyway, if it's
covered with Stits. Lar. Do not
Archive.
+
---

"Vamoose"
Thom Riddle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Bill,

Is the guy you refer to the builder? Based on your statements, I assume
it is not n-numbered. If he is not the builder, what is he worried
about?

If I were paranoid like him, I would probably take off some major
component (engine, wings, etc.) and sell it separately from the rest of
it. It is not a flying airplane then. Or he could donate it as a
collection of parts to an EAA chapter that wants/needs a project. If
that is not good enough, then rip some holes in the wing fabric so it
must be recovered by its new owner.

Please don't let him destroy the airplane.

Thom in Buffalo

Don't worry about old age... it doesn't last very long.
- Anonymous
N111KX (Kip)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

There are a bunch of museums that would love to have it. Problem solved with dignity to boot...
Kip

Quickie 1, N111QX
Atlanta
Snoopy Baxley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

--> Kolb list posted by : " Stephen Baxley " flycrazy8(at)aol.com (flycrazy8(at)aol.com)

Heck guys !  Give us his address... tell him to fold the wings up and leave it beside the road and it will like magic disappear over night Smile

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Larry Bourne" <biglar(at)gogittum.com>

Naw, tell the idiot to stay in it. (joke)  It won't burn anyway, if it's
covered with Stits.                    Lar.                    Do not
Archive.
+
---

Dave Pelletier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Quote:
>He is wary of other peoples intentions and afraid of the liability of selling the aircraft. He has decided that burning the aircraft at >the end of this flying season is the best course of action. 

There is one guy in our club who also told me he was going to burn his aircraft because he was afraid of the liability if he sold it.  I couldn't believe he was actually serious.  Now here's someone else who is saying the same thing.

HUMBLE OPINION:

It seems to me that this is a whole lot unrealistic.  Yes, there are a lot of lawyers out there waiting for a chance to sue and a lot of people who look at any kind of accident as potentially hitting the lottery.  But think about it.  If some precautions are taken, then the chance of getting sued is pretty slim.  If you sell the "bird" with some kind of agreement that makes sense and that the buyer and his/her heirs forever "hold harmless" and if it is sold as an incomplete kit, then that causes problems for the "suer" or whatever the hell they're called.  (Even ripping holes in the wing as Thom says would probably help.)

Consider these points:  First, there has to be an accident and the person who has the accident has to want to sue (we've all had "accidents" of some kind - did we sue?).  Second, in some way (and I know the point is stretched) it has to be shown that it is the builder's (or sellers) fault.  Third, the lawyer has to somehow overcome the "hold harmless" agreements that were signed.  Fourth, the lawyer has to overcome the "sold as a kit" thingy.  Fifth, if this was such a concern, then how come you can go to Barnstormers and ultralighthomepage.com and find hundreds of ultralights for sale?  I've never heard of any builder being sued, has anyone???  And if this is so much of a liability, then it would seem to me that Kolb, Quicksilver, etc., would be sued every time one of their planes go down.  (Don't get any ideas Pat.) 

Finally, it's wise to have a liability "umbrella" policy for about $1 mil.  Doesn't cost much.  And finally #2, if he's that worried about being sued, then what the hell is he doing driving a car?  Seems to me he's much more at risk driving a car than selling a collection of parts.  (No these arguments didn't work with the guy in our club - but he hasn't burned his airplane yet.)

....And I'm not a lawyer, this is just my humble opinion.

AzDave

pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

would seem to me that Kolb, Quicksilver, etc., would be sued every time one of their planes go down.  (Don't get any ideas Pat.) >>

Hi Dave,
I was thinking of sueing the idiot who built the barn in such a stupid place. It was obvious that a plane would run into it!

Cheers

Pat

Signing off for a week as I am off to College summer school.

do not archive

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

You can't fix stupid!
Larry, Oregon
[quote] ---

FlyColt45(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Bill & all,
My 2 cents:
I know of an instance where a gentleman got to the end of his flying days and didn't want to sell his Kolb for fear of liability.  He donated it to Homer Kolb.  It is in like new condition, never again flown - and hanging in the Kolb Co hanger for all to see, along side other models of the past.

Jim Cote

Do not archive

a58r(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

At my semi-advanced age, one tends to consider The Final Approach.
Here's scenario: find a buddy who will donate about 6" off the ends
of one of his deer head's horns. Epoxy them to yer flight helmet.
Take a coupla good belts (no, not seat belts!) and launch out inta
The Blue. Do all the crazy stuff you've always wanted to do, but were
afraid. See how low you can fly inverted, do a coupla Down Wind
Turns, etc. Now squirm around, take off gas cap, wait for a stream of
fuel, then Light Off, You'll be the Viking God, going out in a blaze
of Glory to Valhalla!

Probably make the evening papers.

regards,
Bob N.
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/ronoy/
do nor archive

dhkey(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

you could also "ghost ride" it, like when we'd jump off our bikes and see
how far they would go without a driver.

Michael Sharp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Dave,

I much prefer humble opinions than a lawyer’s opinion any day!!!

Mike
Do Not Archive

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Dave & Eve Pelletier
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 10:29 AM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season

Quote:

Quote:
He is wary of other peoples intentions and afraid of the liability of selling the aircraft. He has decided that burning the aircraft at >the end of this flying season is the best course of action. 

There is one guy in our club who also told me he was going to burn his aircraft because he was afraid of the liability if he sold it.  I couldn't believe he was actually serious.  Now here's someone else who is saying the same thing.

[b]HUMBLE OPINION:[/b]

It seems to me that this is a whole lot unrealistic.  Yes, there are a lot of lawyers out there waiting for a chance to sue and a lot of people who look at any kind of accident as potentially hitting the lottery.  But think about it.  If some precautions are taken, then the chance of getting sued is pretty slim.  If you sell the "bird" with some kind of agreement that makes sense and that the buyer and his/her heirs forever "hold harmless" and if it is sold as an incomplete kit, then that causes problems for the "suer" or whatever the hell they're called.  (Even ripping holes in the wing as Thom says would probably help.)

Consider these points:  First, there has to be an accident and the person who has the accident has to want to sue (we've all had "accidents" of some kind - did we sue?).  Second, in some way (and I know the point is stretched) it has to be shown that it is the builder's (or sellers) fault.  Third, the lawyer has to somehow overcome the "hold harmless" agreements that were signed.  Fourth, the lawyer has to overcome the "sold as a kit" thingy.  Fifth, if this was such a concern, then how come you can go to Barnstormers and ultralighthomepage.com and find hundreds of ultralights for sale?  I've never heard of any builder being sued, has anyone???  And if this is so much of a liability, then it would seem to me that Kolb, Quicksilver, etc., would be sued every time one of their planes go down.  (Don't get any ideas Pat.) 

Finally, it's wise to have a liability "umbrella" policy for about $1 mil.  Doesn't cost much.  And finally #2, if he's that worried about being sued, then what the hell is he doing driving a car?  Seems to me he's much more at risk driving a car than selling a collection of parts.  (No these arguments didn't work with the guy in our club - but he hasn't burned his airplane yet.)

....And I'm not a lawyer, this is just my humble opinion.

AzDave

Roughing it' 1886

Mike
pj.ladd(at)btinternet.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

you could also "ghost ride" it, like when we'd jump off our bikes and see
how far they would go without a driver.>>

Hi, that brings back old memories. A friend and I used to take his old flat
tank Sunbeam motorbike, which was old even in those days and start the
engine and set it off down the runway of a disused airfield. It would slowly
turn and take off across the grass, wobbling and eventually fall over,
usually on the runway. Crunch. Straighten things out and do it again!

When I think what that bike would be worth today.......

Pat

do not archive

--

John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

It won't burn anyway, if it's
| covered with Stits. Lar.

Larry/Gang:

Disregard, if you were joking about Stits fabric not burning.

If you were serious, you might want to test out some Stits (Polyfiber)
fabric that has been processed through finish paint, or bare polyester
dacron. It is very flamable.

Having had the opportunity to recover or dispose of parts and complete
airplanes, over the years, I have also had a lot of experience burning
polyester dacron in the finished mode. For that matter, I helped burn
the fabric we pulled from Larry Cottrell's FSII last May. Burns very
well.

Take care,

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
biglar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

Hmmm........interesting, and good to know. I was told by several people
that it wouldn't support combustion by itself. Calls for more caution, eh
?? Lar.

---

"Vamoose"
HShack(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

In a message dated 7/30/2006 6:48:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, biglar(at)gogittum.com writes:
Quote:
Hmmm........interesting, and good to know.  I was told by several people
that it wouldn't support combustion by itself. Calls for more caution, eh
??   Lar.

When we rebuilt my FS II, we did the full Stits process & finished0with Aerothane. When we tried to burn a sample, it would NOT self sustain.

Howard Shackleford
FS II
SC

cstonex(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Kolb to be burned at end of flying season Reply with quote

I'm wondering why your going to burn the Kolb?? I must of missed0 something.
[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: