Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Location of compass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Heykoop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Location of compass Reply with quote

When five or six years ago Andy Draper gave me a demonstration flight,0the0 compass fell off and rolled on the floor. It happened as we taxied back to the0 hangar, but had it happened during a critical stage of the flight0it0 could have been potentially dangerous.

In view of this experience my strong preference is to fit the compass on0 top of the instrument module, where it will be more secure. I know that some0 Europa owners have gone for this option, even though the standard advice is0to0 keep the compass as far away as possible from other instruments,0 particularly the tacho.

My question is this: have those builders who have fittted the compass on0 top of the instrument module experienced unacceptably large false readings0 caused by magnetic interference, or is the magnetic interference only0 a minor problem?

John
XS mono G-JHKP (2000 build hours to date, panel wiring 90% complete, engine0 installation next)

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
kheindl(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Location of compass Reply with quote

My compass on the instrument module gives accurate readings, but I have an
EIS instead of a tacho.
I also have a useless Avelec fuel gauge just below, and I had to modify the
mounting, because it contains iron, which was interfering with the compass.

Karl

Quote:
Reply-To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Location of compass
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:50:55 EDT

When five or six years ago Andy Draper gave me a demonstration flight, the
compass fell off and rolled on the floor. It happened as we taxied back to
the
hangar, but had it happened during a critical stage of the flight it could
have been potentially dangerous.

In view of this experience my strong preference is to fit the compass on
of the instrument module, where it will be more secure. I know that some
Europa owners have gone for this option, even though the standard advice is
to
keep the compass as far away as possible from other instruments,
particularly
the tacho.

My question is this: have those builders who have fittted the compass on
of the instrument module experienced unacceptably large false readings
caused by magnetic interference, or is the magnetic interference only a
minor
problem?

John
XS mono G-JHKP (2000 build hours to date, panel wiring 90% complete, engine
installation next)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

ptag.dev(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Location of compass Reply with quote

Hi ! John.
My compass is mounted on top of the panel on a/c centre line and I haven’t noticed any bad effect from instruments in 6 years.
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG

Robt.C.Harrison

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of JohnDHeykoop(at)aol.com
Sent: 03 August 2006 23:51
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Location of compass

When five or six years ago Andy Draper gave me a demonstration flight, the compass fell off and rolled on the floor. It happened as we taxied back to the hangar, but had it happened during a critical stage of the flight it could have been potentially dangerous.

In view of this experience my strong preference is to fit the compass on top of the instrument module, where it will be more secure. I know that some Europa owners have gone for this option, even though the standard advice is to keep the compass as far away as possible from other instruments, particularly the tacho.

My question is this: have those builders who have fittted the compass on top of the instrument module experienced unacceptably large false readings caused by magnetic interference, or is the magnetic interference only a minor problem?

John

XS mono G-JHKP (2000 build hours to date, panel wiring 90% complete, engine installation next)

nwcmc(at)tiscali.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Location of compass Reply with quote

I fitted a digital fluxgate compass to the front of the roof just aft of the windscreen. This is screwed to the roof having glassed in a plywood base and will certainly not come loose accidentally. Any analogue compass centrally mounted is difficult to read because of parallax errors. I use the digital compass as a reference to update a DG so it is only read occasionally. I also have a fluxgate feed to a RMI uEncoder. With this set up you can mount the fluxgate unit wherever you want. I put mine in the rear fuselage.

Nigel Charles

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: