Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canopy Glass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wild.blue(at)verizon.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Canopy Glass Reply with quote

Gents (and you, too, Frank--just kidding),

Instead of using rubber to seal the glass to the frame get some zinc chromate "putty tape." Doug? Rubber will bunch up in the frame and distort it. Use screws, not rivets, to attach and nice big holes like Doug sez--don't put any stress on the glass or it will crack.  Carefully "de-burring" the holes to provide nice smooth edges will help, too. The glass needs to be able move in the frame, so leave your cheater bar in its box when you tighten those screws. I've seen lots of CJ's arriving here with glass installed in China using US (!) rivets (AD rivets no less) with a big hammer and a rock for a bucking bar--apparently done by the same guys who use tin cans and steel rivets (or are those roofing nails?) for sheet metal repairs--they also use old bicycle inner tubes for sealing the glass. Usually the glass arrives cracked, but if not, will be soon. The factory screws have a slight dome on the head and are countersunk. They're available here somewhere but I can't remember where just now--try the usual sources. Doug? Hardware store (er, True Value Airmotive) "sticky back fuzzy door weather seal strips" (sorry for the technical terminology) works great for sealing between the front slider and center fixed panel. A "sticky back foam weather seal strip" at the rear of the rear slider will seal things up nicely there. No secrets here, I'm sure. Clean those tracks real good and lube the bearings (not the tracks) with a dry spray lube (LPS or similar) at annual time so the tracks won't fill up with oily dirt again and you'll have a really nice, smooth opening canopy.

Great photos, Brandon. And the new Red Alert is terrific, too. Super job, guys! Wow! What a great cover photo!

BTW, Dennis et al, I take it all back! Been flying a couple of airplanes with your lead/spark plug setup--works great and those buck plugs make the $10 special Autolite (via AirPower) deal look silly. Have you figured out a way to adapt an electronic box like Sevier or some of the others use? See the latest Aerobatics magazine for an interesting article.

Also, while I was towing gliders last Sunday, somebody arrived here at KAWO (Arlington, WA, Muni to any pedestrians in the crowd) in a very pretty red CJ with "NOTAYAK" on the tail and, speaking of canopies, two (count 'em!), two, tinted Malcolm hoods! Looks great!  As I was walking over to introduce myself and welcome you and eyeball your airplane, you hopped in your van and drove away. Sorry I missed you! Saw you fly away (love that sound!) so I guess I missed my chance. Did I notice electric aileron and rudder trim?

Jerry Painter
Wild Blue Aviation
425-876-0865
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0cs5r/index.html but changing soon--stand by for news!

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
yakjock(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Canopy Glass Reply with quote

Jerry,

That was Tom Elliott with the red “notayak”. He, Gary Bunn and John Crothers have been vacationing in the NW. Nice to have them up here as they have participated in several events.

Hal

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: