Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARS Photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btucke73(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: ARS Photos Reply with quote

Gents,

I have had a few inquiries about photos from ARS
2006. I recently bought a professional Epson printer
that prints photos up to 13" x 19". The print quality
is as good as I have seen from a printer. -Maybe
Blitz can comment on the quality next week after he
receives his (In the mail tomorrow). If anyone wants
prints, let me know. They will be $20 each including
shipping, and $10 for each additional print that I can
fit in the tube. Just look at this website:

http://www.mcgirt.net/~ars2006/ars2006

-let me know which pic you want. I can print matte or
glossy, but the color comes out much better with
matte. I am not looking to make money here, just
cover expenses...

VR/

Brandon Tucker
"GED"
btucke73(at)yahoo.com
(760)586-5757

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: ARS Photos Reply with quote

Brandon

20 bucks per print from an Epson printer plus shipping costs seems high. Why
so much for a single print?

Frank

Brandon wrote................
Gents,

I have had a few inquiries about photos from ARS 2006....... If anyone
wants prints, let me know. They will be $20 each including shipping, and
$10 for each additional print that I can fit in the tube. Just look at this

http://www.mcgirt.net/~ars2006/ars2006

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

btucke73(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: ARS Photos Reply with quote

Frank,

Good question. The professional printer I bought
costs about $600 new. The paper that I use ranges
from $1 a sheet for Matte, to over $2 a sheet for
glossy. I have already spent over $200 in print
cartridges. The cylinders I use to ship run $3 each,
and the slowest shipping option to a location only 400
miles away was $4. I just shipped 9 prints to the
Virgin Islands. That shipping was $8. It took me
about 3 hours to perform the photo shop touch-ups /
color adjustments, and to print them. Also, they are
not $20 each - only for the first (including shipping,
not plus shipping). I am only asking him for $80 for
his 9 prints. (some were only 6x8).

The only reason that I offered this service is
because Ray asked my permission a couple of months ago
to have prints made of the pictures that I took, and I
think he paid 3 or 4 times the amount, without any
shippng involved. I figure that if I sell a several
hundred prints, I might actually cover my costs. So
far I have sold 11. The first two I exchanged for 3
cold delicious beers.

If you ask anyone who attended Desert Thunder II,
where I had cold beer (that came out of my pocket)
waiting at my trailer on the flight line upon arrival
- or anyone who attended ARS, where I volunteered 14+
hours a day - they will tell you that I am not in this
to make money. I do it because I love being around
these amazing airplanes, the scent of 100LL, the low
frequency rumble of a radial, and the gathering of
some of the best aviators I have had the pleasure of
flying with. Besides, the military pays me such a
huge sum that I am already rich...

Respectfully,

Brandon Tucker
"GED"

DO NOT ARCHIVE

btucke73(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: ARS Photos Reply with quote

Gents,

I retract the original offer. It never dawned on
me that it would cause such issues. My pictures are
still up on the website in full resolution to do with
as you please, which I apparently did for my own
amusement and personal enrichment. My apologies to
everyone who wasted time reading about my price
gouging. I will make myself scarce for a while.

Frank, I look forward to meeting you at an ARS
event in the future. I'll be the young one with a
camera and a smile. Please let me know if there are
any prints you would like - free of charge.

Respectfully,

Brandon Tucker
GED

shinden33(at)earthlink.ne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: ARS Photos Reply with quote

Brandon,

I know I speak for several folks in saying thank you for your truely
excellent work. Your offer was good and fair. On behalf of myself and
others I ask that you don't let the few nay sayers discourage your
invaluable participation in this group. Looking forward to seeing you at
ARS!

Scott Glaser
Yak-52
N8252

--

HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: ARS Photos Reply with quote

Brandon,

This community is about sharing information and anything else that benefits the group. It does not include spending a ton of your own money so someone can get something for free. You may already know this, but pilots are some cheap SOB's. I commend you for your offer. I know the time it takes to get a good quality print out. I took a bunch of pics at DVT and sent out 3 or 4 CD's EACH to a few people and asked for nothing in return. It took a lot of time to clean them up and get them burned. CD's are cheap....ink and paper are not so I know your pain.

If you want to recoup some of your cost, ask folks to make a donation to help cover the cost. You may be surprised at the response.

Don't let one out of the bunch ruin your plan. Keep up the support and I think you will get your return.

ByronMFox(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: ARS Photos Reply with quote

What a pack of nonsense!

Brandon Tucker is one of the finest young men anyone might have the good0 fortune to meet. He's been an enthusiastic unpaid volunteer at both Desert0 Thunder events, and gleefully has passed on his tactical skills as a Navy F-180 pilot.

Shame on you for whining about $20. You burn through that in 20 minutes in0 your planes, or a not-so-good bottle of wine at0 dinner. ...Blitz

viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: ARS Photos Reply with quote

Blitz,
You are dead on. Frank, you blew it on this one. If you don't want to buy a picture don't buy a picture.
Never met the this young aviator, but to have a Hornet driver willing to volunteer his time to impart some of his Tacatical knowledge and fly in the trunks of your YAK's and CJ's so he can do some photos for you, well consider yourself lucky. The best pictures I have of my Aircraft were made by another fighter pilot. They know what you are looking for and are willing to go thru hundreds of shots to the that right one! They are willing to crank around in the trunk under G to get the right shot! They are not afraid to slide the canopy back to be able to get that shot without the glare of the sun's reflection on the plexiglass. Now I have also seen some really cool shots that have the reflections of the instruments in the plexiglass superimposed on the bird that is being photographed,.Again these were photos made by a pilot. The "Pro" I had in my trunk once complained the entire time about the subject would not stay in position, th e camera lens keep bumping the canopy, and the steep turns a;on with the G's were making them feel bad!
I'm surprised he was only asking 20 bucks for the shots. Try that with a "professional photographer" and see what he or she asked for just the proofs!
Roger, really now when you get tired of crashing on postage stamps come on over to the Guard. We'll let you fly a real 9+ g jet and land on true runways where we only have to use the "wire" when there is a real problem not because we are going to runoff the other end of the boat because some admiral made the runway to short!
Seirra Hotel dude...guess that's "Top Notch" for you Navy types! Keep shooting the photos, your price is cheap!
And I said I was not going to weigh in on this but after a nanosecond second though I could not pass this nonesense up! $20 is dirt ass cheap considering!
Roger "Doc" Kemp,
Vipers forever
If It Don't sound Round..why listen.. that's why I fly a YAK

[quote] ---

Barry Hancock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: ARS photos Reply with quote

On Aug 4, 2006, at 11:58 PM, Yak-List Digest Server wrote:
Quote:

Read between the lines, boys. All I'm saying is 20 bucks a picture is
excessive. I can get 36 exposures processed for less than that.
Frank

To argue with you or even to talk sense is fruitless, Frank.  It is apparent, however, that you do not take the time to read/understand the costs involved for Brandon.  For a guy as smart as you, your logic here is surprising.  However, your logic does allow you to arrive at the incorrect conclusion with confidence...even if 50 people tell you you're off base. You clearly don't know what printing high quality pictures on your home computer costs, forget about packaging and shipping.  I think you just like the attention that comes with being a prick...and for whatever reason, we give it to you....

Let me just add the Brandon is no only a "really good guy" - he's a *great* guy.   Someone who comes to two events (as his own expense) and volunteers his time and tactical experience for the betterment and enjoyment of the group and asks for nothing in return has a tremendous value to the community.  We were "roommates" at ARS and all I can say is that the community needs more guys like Brandon.  

Brandon, thank you for your tireless efforts and "value added" service of not only taking the pictures but making them available to those who want them....next time, ask me for an ARS email list so you don't have to deal with the Franks of the world...life's too short.

Cheers,

Barry
Event Director
All Red Star
ARS VI - May 2-6, 2007

www.cj6.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viperdoc(at)mindspring.co

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: ARS photos Reply with quote

Shack Berry.
For the interested or uninterested, Red Air II is on for 12-15 Oct 06 at the Old Craig AFB, Selma, Al. It will happen again in the May ~19th time frame at Fairhope, Al. Fairhope is on the Alabama gulf coast between Mobile and Pensacola, Fl. I personally missed it this year and regreted it from all I heard. Will be there next year though and at Selma, for this years repeat of last year's.
For the interested, go to the RPA website and sign up.
Doc

[quote] ---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: