Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fastener removal,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tryon(at)aviator.org

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: fastener removal, Reply with quote

I'll second what doug say's about the side cutters that works ok, but it's a little time conusming..

For the panel's that are easily removed and can be worked on the bench, I found the Dzus removal tool to work the best , cleanest and fastest.

They make a cutting tool that is basically a round bushing with a sharp point that fits a certain way over the Dzus.. Can be bought for the various sized from "Mil-Spec Products" .. They are in Fla. I think..

They have the fasteners in Stainless also, in the various sizes, types, and lengths.

but for the big one's like on the side panels, that are hard to remove, Dougs way is the best.
but you still need the mandrels to reinstall the new fasteners..

Goodluck,,

R. Wilson

---- Forwarded Message
Reply-To: <yak-list(at)matronics.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:10:29 -0700
To: Subject: RE: Dzus Removal

Craig,
The only way I have been able to do the job is to buy a pair of side cutters that has enough meat in the jaws to grind one side perfectly flat so that you end up with a very fine flat (and very sharp) edge. Place the cutters flat edge down and allow the sharp edges to go under the soft alu collar. Next work around the Duz, pinching off the alu collar as you go around.

I do have the proper Chinese Duz fasteners if you need them. When restoring the Miniyak I noticed the all the slots on the stock aircraft were in line with the slip stream. When I attempted to replace the rusted Duz fasteners with US fasteners I found that now all the slots were 90 degrees to the slip stream. A very small point that I am sure no one would notice, but I wanted it to be "as per".

Always Yakin,
Doug Sapp

Quote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com] ([email]owner-yak-list-server(at)matronics.com][/email])On Behalf Of Craig Payne
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 4:17 AM
To: yak-list
Subject: Dzus Removal

I hate to interrupt all the fun on the 'list lately but does anyone have a slick way of removing Dzus grommets that crimp the studs? Looks like a hacksaw job otherwise.

Craig Payne

cpayne(at)joimail.com

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: