Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil injection problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdoud(at)satx.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing an oil injection pump and reservoir on my model 4, with a 582 Blue Head engine. Just getting tired of mixing oil and gas and thought I'd let Rotax do it.

I have everything hooked up and put oil in the tank.........but, can't get the oil to pass, past the vent screw in the intake side of the oil injection pump. When I take out the vent screw, oil comes out. (all over the place and makes a terrible mess. Never can get the screw back into the hole) But that's as far as the oil will go. I have loosened the 2 allen screws holding the pump onto the housing which contains the white plastic gear, which runs the pump, but no oil will pass into the "white gear housing", so that it can transfer into the small tubes going to the intake manifold. I have also loosened the bolts that fasten the "white gear housing", thinking that there might be an air block. Since the oil won't transfer past the pump and into the larger housing, I assume that there must be a worm, drive type of screw pump to bring the oil down into the "main" housing, where the white gear lives and the oil won't pass the worm drive (?) into the "main" pump housing.

I''m "chicken" to try and start the engine with no oil supply ready to feed the darn thing, so how can I prime the injection supply and make certain that it's feeding the proper amount into the intake mamifold? Everything that I can read, tells me that oil inection is the way to go, as problems with the pump and pump failure are almost non-existant. (?) Yuh can't see anythin goin' on.........Wonder if we could cut a window, so we could see?

I'll bet that I've confused the situation, beyond confusion and I'm sure the foregoing makes dry reading.........but.................

Anybody out there knowledgeable in this situation?

Help Herb

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
dave

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

I would mix up five gallons gas at 50 to 1 with oil and run it.

You should see the oil coming past the pump in the first few minutes.

What kind of oil do you have in injectdion bottle ? And is the bottom of bottle higher than the oil pump port ?
Also what colour oil is it ? It will be easier to see if darker.
That bleeder screw has a washer under it as well.

Dave

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Most viewed Kitfox on youtube
Most popular on youtube
Highest rated on youtube
Guy Buchanan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

At 03:51 PM 9/24/2006, you wrote:
Quote:
I''m "chicken" to try and start the engine with no oil supply ready to
feed the darn thing, so how can I prime the injection supply and make
certain that it's feeding the proper amount into the intake
mamifold? Everything that I can read, tells me that oil inection is the
way to go, as problems with the pump and pump failure are almost
non-existant. (?) Yuh can't see anythin goin' on.........Wonder if we
could cut a window, so we could see?

It's easy to run the engine with "no" oil supply. Simply pre-mix a gallon
or two at 50:1 and start the engine with that. Get everything primed and
pumping, then drain the mixed gas, dilute it to 100:1, then run it through,
confirming the oil level in the reservoir is going down. I never tried to
get oil to the intake manifold before I ran the engine. I cleared oil to
the vent screw per the manual and then started it. After a few minutes of
running I shut it down and confirmed oil in the feed lines to the intake
manifold. It's been working ever since.

If it still doesn't feed you'll have to bring in some more eyes. Where are you?
Guy Buchanan
K-IV 1200 / 582-C / Warp / 100% done, thanks mostly to Bob Ducar.

shilocom(at)mcmsys.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

I couldn't read the small print,,,,smile.. Continue to use mixed gas and oil in addition to the oil injection until you are sure you are feeding oil. One common problem seems to be air getting trapped in the oil screen. I solved this by backfeeding oil from the pump side back into the tank with a temporary tank held above he regular oil tank. You should also wire the pump lever full open for the first few minutes of running. If that doesn't pas oil then the pump isn't turning and maybe something is put together wrong. Bob U.
[quote] ---

tc9008(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

I would put the correct amount of oil in my gas and then crank it let it run. Be sure to mark your oil tank so you can tell if it is mixing . it will cause it to run rich but will save an engine if your pump is not working. Let it idle at 2000 rpm.
Travis

-

aerocontrols(at)clearwave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

Can you enlarge the text so it can be read...

regards

Bob Robertson
Light Engine Services Ltd.
Rotax Service Center
Aero Control Enterprises, Inc.
St. Albert, Ab. T8N 1M8
Ph: (Tech Support) 1-780-418-4164
Ph: (Order Line) 1-866-418-4164 (TOLL FREE)
www.rtx-av-engines.ca
www.aerocontrols.net
---

dosmythe(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

What's the matter Bob, you getting old?

Don Smythe
Do Not Archive
---

Malcolmbru(at)AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

You should put 50 to 1 mix in the gas tank . only about 1 gallon or so then fill up the oil tank and idel the engin till the pump filles the tubes. then fill the gass tank and the over all ratio will be slightly over 50 to one for a little while .do not run the moter over idel till all air bubles are out of the system . this is the way rotax prescribes to do it . malcolm 582 blue head
[quote][b]

aerocontrols(at)clearwave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Oil injection problems Reply with quote

Hi Don,

Yup!.....Gone from no glasses to reading glasses to bi-focals.
The text , on my PC at least, was soooooo tiny. I'm not so computer
literate that
I could increase the size.
regards

Bob
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: