Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Redundant Fuel Supply

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Hoover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Redundant Fuel Supply Reply with quote

THird time! Some reason, it will not reduce the pictures to little ones. Anyone with dial-up, look out. I tried.
I have enclosed the pictures of the duel fuel supply system I and several others are using at our field. If you need more details, let me know. No fuel related problems on any of the planes to date.

It contains:
1 aluminum mounting plate whcih mounts using existing engine screws.
2 bottom outlets on the new Kolb 6 gal. fuel tank.
2 Fuel filters with glass visual.
1 Facet fuel pump.
2 Check valves.
1 Manifold with pressure gauge inlet (no gauge installed as yet).
An easy access panel to see and correct any fuel related problems in the rear of my KXP Firestar with 503 DCDI.

The idea here was to have a back-up fuel system in case the mechanical pump mounted on the engine quite. Incorporating this idea was the need to NOT create another potential problem, leak path, or in flight worry. Using this approach, the fuel cannot "loop" back through the system if one half of the duel gave out or leaked. The other is to make sure that there was a way to "check" both halfs of the duel fuel supply system. Electric fuel switch on, pump (electric) pumps. Feel bowls full, start engine. Turn off electric fuel pump, now system is reliant on machanical fuel pump. Run through check list, enter field. Throtle up full, check mags. Throtle down, turn on electric fuel pump and "Bob's your Uncle"!

Oh, In order to use this approach as I have it noted above, you need at least a 5 amp battery for the system. I do not use an electric start, but do use back-up electric with my glass instruments. No info is not a nice place to be in an airplane. The battery cost $ 24.00 and weighs very little. It is mounted directly under my seat on the right side.

Any suggestions, recomemdations or questions?

Ohio Ralph

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

DSCF1173 (Small).JPG
 Description:
Another view of the manifold and associated hoses and mount.
 Filesize:  55.94 KB
 Viewed:  177 Time(s)

DSCF1173 (Small).JPG

DSCF1172 (Small).JPG
 Description:
Looking at the mount and the manifold on the 503.
 Filesize:  49.96 KB
 Viewed:  182 Time(s)

DSCF1172 (Small).JPG

DSCF1174 (Small) (Small).JPG
 Description:
Looking into the area behind the fuel tank.
 Filesize:  56.46 KB
 Viewed:  180 Time(s)

DSCF1174 (Small) (Small).JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: