Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aircraft Paint Shops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
threein60(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Paint Shops Reply with quote

I wasn't going to post this message then after hearing I wasn't the only one with this experience I thought I should in fact share my experience so others may learn. Again, this is my experience and personal opinion (Just so happens to be supported by others).

I had my aircraft (CJ6) painted a few weeks ago by Masters Aircraft Services in Wickenburg AZ. I know there have been a small hand full of yak and CJ owners that have had their aircraft painted there as well. Some of you may remember they did the AOPA project aircraft last year. I relied on their past examples and never really talked to the owners.. bad mistake. Let me first say, from what I seen, it appeared they did a top notch paint job. The problem started when the Masters painted my aircraft the wrong color. He admitted it was a mistake by either, the main who mixed the paint, the mixer it self or the manufactures code. Either way it wasn't the color we had agreed upon and not my fault. One of the owners Gus, stated to me if I could live with it he would knock a little off and if not he would repaint it. After thinking about it for two days, I decided there was no way I could live with that color. It was an expensive paint job and I wanted the colors we had agreed upon. He said that he would repaint the aircraft and that's when the relationship turned south. He charged me an additional $1000 to repaint the aircraft the correct color. Again it wasn't my fault the aircraft was painted the wrong color! Since the whole aircraft had to be repainted I wanted to change one of the shades to a darker color. Another $1000, because he stated, I got unfair advantage of his screw up and he had to charge me extra. Then he informed me he did 60hrs of body work. He provided no pictures and according to contract all extra work needed to be agreed upon by both parties. My airframe was staight and didn't need anything close to 60 hrs. That never happened. Then I noticed all small upgrades that were verbally agreed on, all were raised in price about 40%. I asked many times for an updated price as the project went on but only a week before it's completion he offered an updated Price sheet. By then all work was done. When I questioned him about all these off the wall charges, there was no explanation, just that it is what it is. When I pushed the issue it lead to him having a tantrum similar to my 6 year old nephew. I had two chooses in his eyes, pay the amount he stated or the aircraft was going to be pushed in the street. At this time Wickenburg runways were under construction and there were no taxi ways or runways to fly out with. In my eyes the chooses were, get the plane out with a trailer and take him to court for clear violation of contract. In the end he screwed me for about $1500 more then we agreed. $1500 is not worth my time chasing this Thur court and eating up the next 6 months of my life. This management style is nothing short of extortion as well as very poor business practices. I would have gotten a great paint job for the contracted price but in stead over paid for what I got.

I hope anyone willing to have their aircraft painted and wishes to use Master Aircraft in Wickenburg AZ to clearly consider other options. Even is you have a fortified contract, is it worth the time you will spend in court??? In my opinion Gus and Masters Aircraft are un-ethical and shouldn't be used.
Larry Pine

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List
HawkerPilot2015

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Aircraft Paint Shops Reply with quote

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau....

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

cpayne(at)joimail.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Paint Shops Reply with quote

Too bad it ended up like that. I'll still re-assembling mine from the shop just on the other side of the airport. The owner does not advertise and only has a simple listing in the Yellow Pages, just a small sign on one door. With a constant stream of mid-size jets at $60K per job, and spam of all sizes coming through the door, ad monies would be a waste.

We sat in the shade under the wing one hot summer day (in Florida no less) and negotiated a deal. Just a handshake agreement and a generalized target date. Half up front when the airplane came in and the other half with sales tax on the way out. The deal was that I worked there in his shop on my airplane, laying out the markings, taking it apart and putting it back together. I also did the stripping and some prep work in my own hanger.

One tip, get test panels made up, 18" wide by however long it takes to view colors side by side. However, at $51/qt for each sample, I decided to make up my mind at the $300 level.

I cannot imagine 60 hours of body work. I did most of mine but the pros in the shop worked some other spots in the fraction of the time it took me. I wasn't charged extra but was gently reminded that they could not let an airplane out of THEIR shop with highly visible dings.

In all, it was an interesting experience and I learned a lot about what it takes to process an airplane through a shop.

Craig Payne
cpayne(at)joimail.com (cpayne(at)joimail.com)

[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: