Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

two point landings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrysfork1(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: two point landings Reply with quote

<?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]--> I am a low time pilot and like most learned the 3 point landings in my training. The airport I fly from is very narrow with poor visibility. When winter comes and the snow gets deep there is little room for error. I never liked the three point on this strip so I decided to try the wheel landings. It didn't take long and was pretty easy to learn. I usually come in under partial power and once the mains touch give it some forward stick and cut the power. Its important when you touch down to plant the mains and hold them until the tail is ready to drop. I never learned this from an instructor and it may not be the best choice for others but worked for me.

Dee Young
Model II

Do not archive

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
ddsyverson(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: two point landings Reply with quote

Dee,

Guess what? the procedure you are using: "once the mains touch give it some
forward stick and cut the power. Its important when you touch down to plant
the mains and hold them until the tail is ready to drop." is EXACTLY what the
correct procedure is - that is what an instructor should be teaching -
however you arrived at doing it - take some pleasure in the fact that you are
doing it correctly.

Dave S

Do Not Archive

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 6:28 pm, Dee Young wrote:
Quote:
I am a low time pilot and like most learned the 3 point landings in my
training. The airport I fly from is very narrow with poor visibility. When

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jose_m_toro(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: two point landings Reply with quote

Dee:

I learned to fly taildraggers by myself, no instructor. At that time I had a single seater Rans S-4 and there was not TD instructor nor TD trainer available in the surroundings. I read the book "The Compleat Taildragger Pilot" twice. Then, I placed two concrete briks in front of the main tires, started the engine, and applied power until I was able to raise the tail. In that way, I got used to the plane attitude during take off and wheel landings. After that, I started performing speed taxi until I did the first take off. The first landing was a wheel landing.

This is not by any means the right way to learn to fly taildraggers. Beside that, it is illegal unless your plane is an ultralight. I mentioned it just because that is my story. I did more than one ground loop before I learned to apply what I read on the book. I recommend every TD pilot candidate to get training!

Jose
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: