Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barry Hancock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBernier(at)dart.org

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Barry Hancock Reply with quote

Your email address didn't work.
In response to your request for a Dallas plane.
I'm just outside the area in Granbury, about 30 miles southwest of Ft. Worth. I'd be glad to help. But I'm sure that there will be many others.
Let me know if I can assist.
I've attached a photo of my plane. I've altered many areas. Taylor wire, spark plugs, alternator, aux. fuel plug, pre-oiler, K&N air filters, on board charging system, 24 and 12 volt buss, and dropped the weight by 254 lbs.
Jim B

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

DSCF6351.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.49 KB
 Viewed:  171 Time(s)

DSCF6351.jpg

dstroud(at)storm.ca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Barry Hancock Reply with quote

Jim...any way you could elaborate on the benefits of 24 and 12 volt buss and how it
was achieved? If you were doing a straight homebuilt, would you go 12 or 24v ? Thanks..

David Stroud Ottawa, Canada
C-FDWS Christavia
Fairchild 51 early construction

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

N13472(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Barry Hancock Reply with quote

In a message dated 10/19/2006 3:44:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, dstroud(at)storm.ca writes:
Quote:
Jim...any way you could elaborate on the benefits of 24 and 12 volt buss and how it
was achieved? If you were doing a straight homebuilt, would you go 12 or 24v ? Thanks..

C-FDWS Christavia

I would advise on a home built to use a 24 / 28 Vdc system for several reasons

1. Wire size smaller, lighter,cheaper.

2. Used avionics are much cheaper in 28 Vdc i.e. a King KX 155 with G/S the difference
in price is about $1000.00 on the used market between a 12 Vdc and 28 Vdc.

3. Electric gyros as well.

4. Things like electric fuel pumps with 28 Vdc you can go with military surplus.

There is not the demand for 28 VDC stuff vers 12 VDC so most every thing used is cheaper.
Tom Elliott
CJ-6 NX63727
Sandy Valley NV
3L2
702-723-1223

[quote][b]

JBernier(at)dart.org

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Barry Hancock Reply with quote

Dave
The CJ uses a 24 volt system. Instead of reinventing the wheel I left it intact. I only removed those systems that I didn't need or wanted to upgrade. ADF out, radio replaced, AH kept. And so on. I decided to use two gel cell batteries. Doug Sapp suggested to use the Odyssey Batteries. Great choice. I hooked them up in series for the 24 volts. And drew off one for the 12 volts. This created an uneven draw between the two batteries. Brian Lloyd suggested using a battery balancer to solve the uneven draw. It works. I also placed a battery charger in the plane that charges 24 volts. And the balancer is working all of the time. Robbing Peter to pay Paul so to say. The batteries stay at the same level. I could have use the balancer to reduce the 24 VDC to 12 VDC, but if it went out I would lose my radio and GPS and strobe.
Selecting between 24 and 12 VDC is almost a personal choice. Select the radio, nav system, lighting etc., and see what you want. I understand that you are using the HS6. It starts on 24 VDC. You may want to use the coil and air start valve, that comes with the engine, instead of trying to change it to 12 VDC. Although the change isn't difficult. If you are concerned about weight, then go with a single volt system. If weight isn't a problem, then as a guy "the world is your toilet". Do what makes you smile. The best way is subjective.
Keep us informed of your progress.
Jim

Quote:
>> dstroud(at)storm.ca 10/19/2006 5:48 PM >>>

C-FDWS Christavia

---

PeteAbbott(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Barry Hancock Reply with quote

On this same thread, I am not familiar to a battery equalizer. Could you please lead me to a source. I have a Yak 52 and also multiple military vehicles. I would like to use a 12 volt winch on a 24 volt truck. Can the equalizer handle that much amp draw on one battery?

Pete

N852GC
[quote][b]

JBernier(at)dart.org

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Barry Hancock Reply with quote

Pete
Kansas Wind Power sold the unit to me some time back. Their web site is, http://www.kansaswindpower.net/dc_accessories.htm. They have two models, I use the 10/20 amp unit. It is a little pricey but worth the cost. It works. And easy to hook up.
Hope this helps.
Jim B

Quote:
>> PeteAbbott(at)aol.com 10/20/2006 5:28 PM >>>
On this same thread, I am not familiar to a battery equalizer. Could you

please lead me to a source. I have a Yak 52 and also multiple military vehicles.
I would like to use a 12 volt winch on a 24 volt truck. Can the equalizer
handle that much amp draw on one battery?

Pete

N852GC

PeteAbbott(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Barry Hancock Reply with quote

Thanks

Pete
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: