Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kolb Tailwheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Kirby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Kolb Tailwheel Reply with quote

"Guideman" wrote: << I wanted to ask you where you got your larger tailwheel, mine is still the small one and I would like to put the larger one on , any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Keith >>

Keith -

Like you, I also wanted a tailwheel that was somewhat beefier that the stock "pizza cutter" wheel that comes with the Mark-3 kit. I bought a new full-swivel tailwheel assembly from Rans for about $250, and it uses a 3.5 inch diam solid rubber wheel. It has worked flawlessly for the past 250 hours of operation on my Kolb. The Rans unit is designed to attach to a 1-1/4 inch wide steel leaf spring. But Kolbs use a 3/4 inch diameter solid alum rod instead of a flat leaf spring. So ...

As John H described, I also had to fabricate an "interface" piece that attaches to the end of the stock tailwheel strut and fits right into to Rans assembly where the flat leaf spring would go.

Matco Mfg (in Salt Lake City) also makes a similar tailwheel assembly for $200 that uses a 6-inch pneumatic wheel. It's designed for a flat leaf spring, so you'd still have to make an interface part to fit on your Mark-3.

Not sure if Kolb Company makes a full-swiveling tailwheel assembly. Anyone know? Anyway, there ARE options available, if you want to upgrade your tailwheel.

Dennis Kirby
Mark-3 / 912ul

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Kolb Tailwheel Reply with quote

Kolb Aircraft has full swiveling tail wheels.

I flew my first flight to Alaska with a MATCO tail wheel. It was not
satisfactory. I got rid of it as soon as I got home.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Kolb Tailwheel Reply with quote

--

Titus, Alabama
neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Kolb Tailwheel Reply with quote

I have been using the Kolb full swiveling tail wheel for over ten years and it is great.

I did modify it a bit. The springs that came with it were too weak. When taxiing in a cross wind it would unlock way too easy. Very embarrassing and frustrating. Changed to compression springs but then it wouldn't unlock at all. Finally drilled new spring holes in the tail wheel bell crank the same spacing as the rudder. Now I get very positive control of the tail wheel and it doesn't unlock till I want it to. 
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:51 AM, John Hauck <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
[quote]--> Kolb-List message posted by: "John Hauck" <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>

--

lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Kolb Tailwheel Reply with quote

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Rick Neilsen <neilsenrm(at)gmail.com (neilsenrm(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I have been using the Kolb full swiveling tail wheel for over ten years and it is great.

I did modify it a bit. The springs that came with it were too weak. When taxiing in a cross wind it would unlock way too easy. Very embarrassing and frustrating. Changed to compression springs but then it wouldn't unlock at all. Finally drilled new spring holes in the tail wheel bell crank the same spacing as the rudder. Now I get very positive control of the tail wheel and it doesn't unlock till I want it to. 
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC
Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also use one of these tail wheels, but for me it released way too soon. I solved the problem by taking the assembly apart and "hogging" out some to the alum that caused it to break away. (there is a ball bearing that is released when the tail wheel is moved beyond about 20 degrees) In essence I modified it so that it would not release until I used full rudder. This is after trying to taxi on a high volume runway in a 15 MPH crosswind. The tail wheel broke loose and I ended up doing two "doughnuts" in the middle of the runway, much to the alarm of the tower personnel.  
Larry

--
If you forward this email, or any part of it, please remove my email address before sending.

[quote][b]

Guideman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Kolb Tailwheel Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks to all that reply to the new guys. Very helpful group. I can't believe how nice most everyone here is and willing to help everyone. It makes it fun to ask questions and not feel stupid.
I also will say , the pictures you add of you modifications you guys make are really helpful .
Great bunch of people.
Keith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: