Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spitfire flight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrickjladd(at)hotmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Spitfire flight Reply with quote

Here it is for the benefit of those interested. My Spitfire Flight. John and those others who consider that this has no place on a Kolb list (and they may be right) look away now or hit delete. For those who have expressed interest, here it is, an experience which very few have had since 1940.

I went to Biggin Hill, kown as Biggin on the Bump from the steeple chase type runway, where I FLEW A SPITFIRE ON Wednesday. 28th Oct. Wx was awful.Spent the night in digs nearby listening to the rain. Morning was overcast with heavy rain forecast. Turned up at Biggin at 8.30 fully expecting to have a cancellation. However around 10 a clearance came through.Cloudbase above 4/5000 with just a little light scud around 1200 ft. A long and boring talk to cover all the Health and Safety aspects which surrounds everything we do today in case I break a nail and decide to sue somebody.This was followed by a very good talk about actual safety procedures in the case of having to bale out etc. Decide that unless the wing falls off I shall stay in the a/c. Got tucked in the rear cockpit which was comfortable but narrow. My pilot taxied and we took off. Great surge of power as the throttle opened and the tail came up. Climbed out of the pattern and the pilot handed over control to me. 2500ft lid as we were under the approach into Gatwick. No room between my legs for the stick to move sideways, so it was fixed vertically from the cockpit floor to above knee height with no lateral movement but with a swivelling handle on the top which gave the left to right movement. Controls were very light. Laterally just light, fore and aft, like balancing on a pin. I remembered during helicopter training being told to rest the wrist on the knee and keep it there. All stick movement to be done with the fingers. The Spit. was just like that. Wings seemed very small and the whole thing had a light aircraft feel about like flying my Extra but with much lighter control inputs.I am used to steep turns from my gliding days and have no problem in putting a wing down. Did what I thought were steep turns,, until the pilot stood us absolutely vertically on one wingtip. The steepest I have ever been except during aerobatics. Flew around the area and could see down the Thames to Gravesend, Rochester airport, Brands Hatch circuit, .Kenley, another famous B of B station.Very nostalgic to be flying in the same airspace that the Battle of Britain was fought in and it was easy to imagine some young guy, less than a quarter my age, with only a couple of hundred flying hours flying over that same counrtryside after maybe the fourth climb of the day to 20,000feet, perhaps just a boring patrol, perhaps shot up from fight, nursing a damaged plane back into Biggin with the prospect of doing it all again, soon.
Enough day dreaming. Did I want to do a victory roll? You bet. When I did this in the Mustang, about 40 years ago, we barrel rolled and had time for discussion while it happened, More stick, more, hard over. I can hear the pilots voice now. In the Spit we wound her up to about 280 and pulled into a very steep climb and FLICKED. I have never been spun so fast. Faster than any fairground ride. We had spun through 360 degrees before I could blink. No need to be strapped in. I was plastered against the side of the cockpit. Slowly lost height as we flew back towards Biggin. Entered circuit at 1000ft, thump as the wheel came down on downwind leg, slowed as the flaps were deployed and a nice curving approach right onto the numbers. Love to do it again when I had more idea what to expect.
The local pub for Biggin pilots during the war was The White Hart at the village of Brasted. There they preserve behind glass the old wooden blackout shutters from the pub. These are signed in chalk by the many of the pilots who used the bar. Paddy Barthrop, Peter Townsend, Screwball Buerling, Neville Duke etc. An amazing relic to have survived. I have had a drink there a few times and although the place has been tarted up it does not need much imagination to see it filled with young guys in uniform, drinking and smoking as though it was there last day on earth. Which for many, of course, it was.

Pat
[quote][b] [quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
williamtsullivan(at)att.n

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Spitfire flight Reply with quote

Pat- Thank you! It's something lots of us either can't afford, or will never have the opportunity to do. Great write up.

do not archive

Bill Sullivan

-------------------------------------------
On Sun, 11/1/15, Patrick Ladd <patrickjladd(at)hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Spitfire flight
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Date: Sunday, November 1, 2015, 7:40 AM

Here it is for  the benefit of those interested.
My Spitfire Flight.
John and those others who consider that this has no place on
a Kolb list (and
they may be right) look away now or hit delete. For those
who have expressed
interest, here it is, an experience which very few have had
since 1940.

I went to  Biggin Hill, kown as Biggin on the Bump
from the steeple
chase type runway, where I FLEW A SPITFIRE ON Wednesday.
28th Oct. Wx was
awful.Spent the night in digs nearby listening to the rain.
Morning was overcast
with heavy rain forecast. Turned up at Biggin at 8.30 fully
expecting to have a
cancellation. However around 10 a clearance came
through.Cloudbase above 4/5000
with just a little light scud around 1200 ft. A long and
boring talk to cover
all the Health and Safety aspects which surrounds everything
we do today in case
I break a nail and decide to sue somebody.This was followed
by a very good talk
about actual safety procedures in the case of having to bale
out etc. Decide
that unless the wing falls off I shall stay in the a/c. Got
tucked in the rear
cockpit which was comfortable but narrow. My pilot taxied
and we  took off.
Great surge of power as the throttle opened and the tail
came up. Climbed out of
the pattern and the pilot handed over control to me. 2500ft
lid as we were under
the approach into Gatwick. No room between my legs for the
stick to move
sideways, so it was fixed vertically from the cockpit floor
to above knee height
with no lateral movement but with a swivelling handle on the
top which gave the
left to right movement. Controls were very light. Laterally
just light, fore and
aft, like balancing on a pin. I remembered during helicopter
training being told
to rest the wrist on the knee and keep it there. All stick
movement to be done
with the fingers. The Spit. was just like that. Wings seemed
very small and the
whole thing had a light aircraft feel about like flying my
Extra but with much
lighter control inputs.I am used to steep turns from my
gliding days and have no
problem in putting a wing down.  Did what I thought
were steep turns,,
until the pilot stood us absolutely vertically on one
wingtip. The steepest I
have ever been except during aerobatics. Flew around the
area and could see down
the Thames to Gravesend, Rochester airport, Brands Hatch
circuit, .Kenley,
another famous B of B station.Very nostalgic to be flying in
the same airspace
that the Battle of Britain was fought in and it was easy to
imagine some young
guy, less than  a quarter my age, with only a couple of
hundred 
flying hours flying over that same counrtryside after 
maybe the fourth
climb of the day to 20,000feet, perhaps just a boring
patrol, perhaps shot up
from fight, nursing a damaged plane back into Biggin with
the prospect of doing
it all again, soon.
Enough day dreaming. Did I want to do a victory roll?
You bet. When I did
this in the Mustang, about 40 years ago, we barrel rolled
and had time for
discussion while it happened, More stick, more, hard over. I
can hear the pilots
voice now. In the Spit we wound her up to about 280 and
pulled into a very 
steep climb and FLICKED. I have never been spun so fast.
Faster than any
fairground ride. We had spun through 360 degrees before I
could blink. No need
to be strapped in. I was plastered against the side of the
cockpit. Slowly lost
height as we flew back towards Biggin. Entered circuit at
1000ft, thump as the
wheel came down on downwind leg, slowed as the flaps were
deployed and a nice
curving approach right onto the numbers. Love to do it again
when I had more
idea what to expect.
The local pub for Biggin pilots during the war was The
White Hart at the
village of Brasted. There they preserve behind glass the old
wooden blackout
shutters from the pub. These are signed in chalk by the many
of the pilots who
used the bar. Paddy Barthrop, Peter Townsend, Screwball
Buerling, Neville Duke
etc. An amazing relic to have survived. I have had a drink
there a few times and
although the place has been tarted up it does not need much
imagination to see
it filled with young guys in uniform, drinking and smoking
as though it was
there last day on earth. Which for many, of course, it
was.

Pat

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Rex Rodebush

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spitfire flight Reply with quote

I envy you. Thanks for sharing.

Tom O'Hara

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Spitfire flight Reply with quote

Wow-- what an experience. Thanks for the flight debriefing.

Frankd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Spitfire flight Reply with quote

Hey Pat,
that was AWESOME, I felt like I was there with you..
having done some Acro in a Citrabria your FLICK and turn on a wingtip sounded wonderful.
Now I have another bucket list item... Darn that list is getting big..
My uncles flew in Lancaster tail gunner positions and my first model as a kid was a spitfire and my Granddad took me to see the Battle of Britain movie when I was very small.
I think all that made me want to fly.

I am still in awe with aircraft in general and our KOLB's allow us to fly low and slow and safe and also tell folks "I built that!"
Fantastic!!
Thanks for sharing.

Do not Archive

FrankD
MkIII Xtra
1014S.

brubakermal(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Spitfire flight Reply with quote

I met a guy lastv month e fromTexas that clamed tobe the owner and manufacture of the spitfire back in the day Dell was his name anywon have any idea about the companies early days?

Malcolm & Jeanne Brubaker
Michigan Sport Pilot Repair
http://michigansportpilotrepair.com
LSRM-A, PPC, WS
Great Sails - Sailmaker
for Ultralight & Light Sport
(989)513-3022

To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Sent: Sunday, November 1, 2015 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Spitfire flight

--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Tom O'Hara" <tohara(at)alphagraphics.com (tohara(at)alphagraphics.com)>

Wow-- what an experience. Thanks for the flight debriefing.

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics. http:/ -Mattlb-List" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-Lista href="http://forums.matronics.com/" target="_blank">http://forums.mat &nbs//www.matronics.com/contribution" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.co==================

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: