Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lift Reserve Indicator (LRI)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Welch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Lift Reserve Indicator (LRI) Reply with quote

No, a blood pressure gauge would not likely work.  At least, I'd doubt it.  The gauge the inventor/seller uses is the Dwyer Minihelic II, model 2-5002.  0-2" w.c.  The commercially sold unit has a new red,yellow,green silk-screened face.  The pitot mast is a nice afternoon project.  See the gauge below.
Mike Welch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dwyer-Minihelic-II-Series-5000-Pressure-Gauge-Model-No-2-5002-0-2-w-c-/252075719317?hash=item3ab0e23a95:g:Pp4AAOSw3ydV5KFd

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 16, 2016, at 1:12 PM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Frugal Herb again....in the case of the LRI ..I think a throw away blood pressure gauges could work? 

On 01/16/2016 11:30 AM, Mike wrote:

Quote:
From the depth of lurking mode, I am inspired to comment.

Boyd,  
  The "moving arm" doesn't touch any solder blobs.  The device use a magnet flush mounted on the torpedo, and the circuitry detects the magnetism (without actually touching anything).  It's known as the Hall Effect.  If I'm correct, I rounded all of the electronic parts up about 4 years ago to build a few of these AOA indicators.

Regarding the small IC circuit with the 10 segment red/yellow/green LEDs, I have two of them, but on my AOA system I decided I wanted the visual impact MUCH more noticeable, so I built my own individual "10 red/yellow/green LEDs" using 5mm LEDs.
Bigger, longer, etc, etc.  (I get my AOA function from my Dynon D10A, which has an audio alarm that I have wired into my intercom, thus I have bright LEDs and audio notification for an impending stall.)

Although an AOA indicator is very useful, a lift reserve indicator(LRI) is more useful, and much less, okay some less, to build.  The LRI uses air pressure differential to determine when a wing is no longer flying.  The LRI is always accurate because it measures the point at which the still begins, and factors such as weight, wing incidence, whatever, have no effect on it's accuracy.

I have already built one (a copy of a store bought unit, which I also have).). I have the gages and supplies to build 3 more.

Mike Welch

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 16, 2016, at 10:18 AM, B Young < (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:

Moving An arm past a bunch of solder blobs sounds like a bunch of drag and sticking.
  Let the wind vain turn a pot. (Potentiometer)  It seems in the RC world there are progressive led lights that respond to changing voltage.   Run 12 v and ground to the sides of the pot.  And the center will vary from 0 to 12 volts when the pot is turned.    You could limit the travel of the wind vain to limit the possible output voltages,  or put resistors in series with the 12 v and or ground terminals of  the pot.  This would keep the center outlet of the pot voltages within limits of the led light bar voltage  indicator.
The total resistance  value of the pot would be determined in part by the max or min current requirements of the led voltage indicator.  IE: a 5 k ohm or a 10, 15, 50 k ohm pot.   The greater ohm value of the pot and still be able to drive the led volt indicator will consume the least amount of power.
Boyd young
--
Signature text; Add catchy phrase here..

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Herbgh(at)nctc.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Lift Reserve Indicator (LRI) Reply with quote

Yep...2 inches of water(used these  gauges with IBM and Storage Tech)  is equal to 3.73  mm of mercury...and blood pressure gauges start at 20 mm of hg... not sensitive enough... Herb

On 01/16/2016 01:50 PM, Mike wrote:

Quote:
No, a blood pressure gauge would not likely work.  At least, I'd doubt it.  The gauge the inventor/seller uses is the Dwyer Minihelic II, model 2-5002.  0-2" w.c.  The commercially sold unit has a new red,yellow,green silk-screened face.  The pitot mast is a nice afternoon project.  See the gauge below.

Mike Welch

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dwyer-Minihelic-II-Series-5000-Pressure-Gauge-Model-No-2-5002-0-2-w-c-/252075719317?hash=item3ab0e23a95:g:Pp4AAOSw3ydV5KFd

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 16, 2016, at 1:12 PM, Herb <Herbgh(at)nctc.com (Herbgh(at)nctc.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Frugal Herb again....in the case of the LRI ..I think a throw away blood pressure gauges could work? 

On 01/16/2016 11:30 AM, Mike wrote:

Quote:
From the depth of lurking mode, I am inspired to comment.

Boyd,  
  The "moving arm" doesn't touch any solder blobs.  The device use a magnet flush mounted on the torpedo, and the circuitry detects the magnetism (without actually touching anything).  It's known as the Hall Effect.  If I'm correct, I rounded all of the electronic parts up about 4 years ago to build a few of these AOA indicators.

Regarding the small IC circuit with the 10 segment red/yellow/green LEDs, I have two of them, but on my AOA system I decided I wanted the visual impact MUCH more noticeable, so I built my own individual "10 red/yellow/green LEDs" using 5mm LEDs.
Bigger, longer, etc, etc.  (I get my AOA function from my Dynon D10A, which has an audio alarm that I have wired into my intercom, thus I have bright LEDs and audio notification for an impending stall.)

Although an AOA indicator is very useful, a lift reserve indicator(LRI) is more useful, and much less, okay some less, to build.  The LRI uses air pressure differential to determine when a wing is no longer flying.  The LRI is always accurate because it measures the point at which the still begins, and factors such as weight, wing incidence, whatever, have no effect on it's accuracy.

I have already built one (a copy of a store bought unit, which I also have).). I have the gages and supplies to build 3 more.

Mike Welch

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 16, 2016, at 10:18 AM, B Young <[url=mailto:byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com]byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com (byoungplumbing(at)gmail.com)[/url]> wrote:

Quote:

Moving An arm past a bunch of solder blobs sounds like a bunch of drag and sticking.
  Let the wind vain turn a pot. (Potentiometer)  It seems in the RC world there are progressive led lights that respond to changing voltage.   Run 12 v and ground to the sides of the pot.  And the center will vary from 0 to 12 volts when the pot is turned.    You could limit the travel of the wind vain to limit the possible output voltages,  or put resistors in series with the 12 v and or ground terminals of  the pot.  This would keep the center outlet of the pot voltages within limits of the led light bar voltage  indicator.
The total resistance  value of the pot would be determined in part by the max or min current requirements of the led voltage indicator.  IE: a 5 k ohm or a 10, 15, 50 k ohm pot.   The greater ohm value of the pot and still be able to drive the led volt indicator will consume the least amount of power.
Boyd young
--

--

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: