Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting my MK3 to Dual Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chasfwhite(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Converting my MK3 to Dual Control Reply with quote

​For about 20 yrs. I have been looking at my MK 3-912's single center control and wondering / wishing it was dual control. It's not so much that I want another control on the passenger side, I just want to be able to control the plane with my left hand and a stick between my legs and my right had on the throttle... like most planes.
I looked back in the archives and found a few pros/cons and how it's difficult for us "big boys 6'2"-240... to crawl in & out with  stick in your way, but nothing about the process or difficulty of the conversion itself.
I met John H. yrs. ago at Sun'nFun and thought his and a few other planes were configured that way and have had that project in my mind ever since.
I'm right in the middle of changing the gear legs to spring steel and adding bigger tires, so maybe it's time to make that control change too.
I sent the Kolb folks a note requesting information on the parts required, but would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the dual control set-up?
Thanks...
Charles White
Rollins,,Montana

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Converting my MK3 to Dual Control Reply with quote

Well, I am proud to say my Brother Jim and good friend Seth Mathews, RIP, designed and built the first set of dual controls for a Kolb MKIII back in 1991.  After 25 years and 3,300+ hours, they still work like brand new.

I fly from the right seat, so I was able to use the throttle in its normal MKIII position between the seats.  Left hand on the throttle and right hand on the stick.

I normally do not fly with the left stick installed.  This facilitates loading and unloading passengers. 

As I get older it is a little more difficult to get the left foot over the stick, but I can still do it without too much hassle.

Nothing wrong with the center mounted single stick.  The geometry is just right and has a good control feel.  Was a little awkward at first, but became normal very quickly.  Used to fly all day to get to Sun and Fun in my MKIII with the stick between my legs, then get out and get in the factory MKIII and fly side stick and arm crossed across my belly to control throttle.  My big problem was reaching up with my left hand to pull flaps on final.

Good luck with you dual controls.

I landed at Polson, MT, in 2004, on the way to Alaska.  Flew right over Rollins on the way north.

john h
mkIII
Titus, Alabama

From: owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kolb-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of C. White
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2016 6:39 PM
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Converting my MK3 to Dual Control

​For about 20 yrs. I have been looking at my MK 3-912's single center control and wondering / wishing it was dual control. It's not so much that I want another control on the passenger side, I just want to be able to control the plane with my left hand and a stick between my legs and my right had on the throttle... like most planes.

I looked back in the archives and found a few pros/cons and how it's difficult for us "big boys 6'2"-240... to crawl in & out with stick in your way, but nothing about the process or difficulty of the conversion itself.

I met John H. yrs. ago at Sun'nFun and thought his and a few other planes were configured that way and have had that project in my mind ever since.

I'm right in the middle of changing the gear legs to spring steel and adding bigger tires, so maybe it's time to make that control change too.

I sent the Kolb folks a note requesting information on the parts required, but would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the dual control set-up?

Thanks...

Charles White

Rollins,,Montana

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
byoungplumbing(at)gmail.c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Converting my MK3 to Dual Control Reply with quote

Instead of dual controls. I modified my center control.  I made a sleeve that slides over the top of the stick,    Then welded a  tube to the top of the sleeve at a 90 deg pointing to the left.  drilled and secured it  on the stick with a couple screws.
  I can fly  left or right handed,  while flying left handed I can reach both throttle and flaps with right hand.  With the right hand on the stick it is like a conventional mkiii
Boyd Young
Mkiii
Utah On Mar 13, 2016 5:43 PM, "C. White" <chasfwhite(at)gmail.com (chasfwhite(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
I looked back in the archives and found a few pros/cons and how it's difficult for us "big boys 6'2"-240... to crawl in & out with  stick in your way, but nothing about the process or difficulty of the conversion itself.
I met John H. yrs. ago at Sun'nFun and thought his and a few other planes were configured that way and have had that project in my mind ever since.
I'm right in the middle of changing the gear legs to spring steel and adding bigger tires, so maybe it's time to make that control change too.
I sent the Kolb folks a note requesting information on the parts required, but would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the dual control set-up?
Thanks...
Charles White
Rollins,,Montana

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Converting my MK3 to Dual Control Reply with quote

Sounds like what I was about to suggest. Try to find a pic of a Whitman Tailwind stick.

-------- Original message --------
Date:03/13/2016 7:58 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: kolb-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Kolb-List: Converting my MK3 to Dual Control

Instead of dual controls. I modified my center control.  I made a sleeve that slides over the top of the stick,    Then welded a  tube to the top of the sleeve at a 90 deg pointing to the left.  drilled and secured it  on the stick with a couple screws.
  I can fly  left or right handed,  while flying left handed I can reach both throttle and flaps with right hand.  With the right hand on the stick it is like a conventional mkiii
Boyd Young
Mkiii
Utah On Mar 13, 2016 5:43 PM, "C. White" <chasfwhite(at)gmail.com (chasfwhite(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Thanks...
Charles White
Rollins,,Montana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: