Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VGs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: VGs Reply with quote

Just read my Kolb List mail from the last 3 or 4 days. Wish I had been able to read and reply to several of the posts, but am on the road in the mountains of Tennessee and have little or no internet access. When I do have access I am can receive, but not transmit email. ;-( I have written a lot of replies and eventually deleted them because trying to transmit was screwing up my system and my day.

I have decided to install VGs on my MKIII. Experience I gained from flying Larry Cottrell's FS powered by a strong, reliable HKS engine, has convinced me I can make better landings with them. They will also reduce my stall and landing speeds, and that should be fun to play with. At 77, I don't fly nor land as well as I did 10 or 20 years ago. The VGs should take the edge off some of those "sharp" touch downs. The funny thing is, I grease the MKIII in on grass, and usually break a tad high and drop it in on pavement. I don't like flying off pavement. Maybe I have a psychological hang up. Wink

Never had anything against VGs, did not dislike them, just did not need them on my MKIII until now. I was also afraid I would lose cruise speed on my long cross country flights, and I didn't need that. Now I understand they probable will not affect airspeed.

Right now I am using web mail, which is a pain in the butt, but it will get this email out and maybe a couple more before my fingers get too cold to type. I'm sitting on a mountain near Oliver Springs, TN, on the front porch of the camp ground office. The best I can do for the moment.

Got to get back home next week and install a new WARP Drive prop that should be there when I return. I've flown WARP Drive props for 23 years, and all but two cross country flights with them pushing my MKIII. I am experimenting with a 68" 3 blade. Previous WARPs were 70, 72, and 71 (current). I think I can get as good performance out of the 68" and reduce some of the noise produced by the prop tips as they zip by the tail boom, which in turn amplifies the noise. We'll see when I test it next week. Noise is the major fatigue factor of flying my airplane cross country. In the early days I flew 8 to 10 hour flight days, but now my average day is 6 flight hours. By then I am bushed. If I can get a little quieter, I'll be a safer more comfortable pilot.

john h
mkIII
Oliver Springs, TN

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

Titus, Alabama
neilsenrm(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: VGs Reply with quote

John
I have mentioned it before but I use a set of Bose QC-20 noise canceling headphones under my Sigtronics headset with a installed noise canceling kit. They work extremely good. I plug the Bose headsets into my intercom with a adapter for hearing and the Sigtronics for the microphone. If there is a problem it is that the impedance is lower than aviation headset so I have to turn the volume down on the intercom and radio. The voice feedback of my voice when I transmit is still a bit loud on the ground. In the air with my VW at cruise power it is just about right. When receiving radio calls I can recognise every word and even recognise voices. I played with turning off the different noise canceling units individually while flying. If I turn off the kit noise canceling in my Sigtronics I can just barely hear the difference. If I turn off the Bose noise canceling units there is a big difference. I normally fly with both on. I take the Bose headsets just about everywhere. Flying commercial (I can actually hear the movies, screaming babies-wow, on my last 6 hour flight it was much less tiring), walking the beach listening to music, even used them on a tour of a ship engine room. I try to protect my old ears as much as I can to slow my hearing loss.
The list price is $300 but got one and later one for my wife on Ebay for around $220-240. I will bring them to Sun N Funds. Hope to see everyone there. I have clear skies, no wind or rain on order.
Rick Neilsen
Redrive VW Powered MKIIIC
On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 8:13 PM, <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: <jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com (jhauck(at)elmore.rr.com)>

Just read my Kolb List mail from the last 3 or 4 days.  Wish I had been able to read and reply to several of the posts, but am on the road in the mountains of Tennessee and have little or no internet access.  When I do have access I am can receive, but not transmit email.  ;-(  I have written a lot of replies and eventually deleted them because trying to transmit was screwing up my system and my day.

I have decided to install VGs on my MKIII.  Experience I gained from flying Larry Cottrell's FS powered by a strong, reliable HKS engine, has convinced me I can make better landings with them.  They will also reduce my stall and landing speeds, and that should be fun to play with.  At 77, I don't fly nor land as well as I did 10 or 20 years ago.  The VGs should take the edge off some of those "sharp" touch downs.  The funny thing is, I grease the MKIII in on grass, and usually break a tad high and drop it in on pavement.  I don't like flying off pavement.  Maybe I have a psychological hang up.  Wink

Never had anything against VGs, did not dislike them, just did not need them on my MKIII until now.  I was also afraid I would lose cruise speed on my long cross country flights, and I didn't need that.  Now I understand they probable will not affect airspeed.

Right now I am using web mail, which is a pain in the butt, but it will get this email out and maybe a couple more before my fingers get too cold to type.  I'm sitting on a mountain near Oliver Springs, TN, on the front porch of the camp ground office.  The best I can do for the moment.

Got to get back home next week and install a new WARP Drive prop that should be there when I return.  I've flown WARP Drive props for 23 years, and all but two cross country flights with them pushing my MKIII.  I am experimenting with a 68" 3 blade.  Previous WARPs were 70, 72, and 71 (current).  I think I can get as good performance out of the 68" and reduce some of the noise produced by the prop tips as they zip by the tail boom, which in turn amplifies the noise.  We'll see when I test it next week.  Noise is the major fatigue factor of flying my airplane cross country.  In the early days I flew 8 to 10 hour flight days, but now my average day is 6 flight hours.  By then I am bushed.  If I can get a little quieter, I'll be a safer more comfortable pilot.

john h
mkIII
Oliver Springs, TN

===========
br> fts!)
r> > w.buildersbooks.com" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">www.buildersbooks.com
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
          -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: