Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Essential Bus Switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billhuntersemail(at)gmail

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

What would be a good choice for a switch (and vendor) to use for the essential bus? My avionics bus will only have a transponder, ADS-B, GNS-650,and SL-15.
should this switch be a simple toggle or should it be a Kaliko circuit breaker switch?

THANKS!!!
Bill Hunter

Bill Hunter
+1 408-464-1902

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

It's more an 'endurance bus' than an 'essential bus'.
It was designed to conserve energy and used to
power devices most useful to sustaining comfortable
en-route phase of flight.

I am curious. There are hundreds of thousands of
light aircraft manufactured and, I presume, successfully
flown without benefit of protected switches of any
kind.

What is so different about the OBAM aviation aircraft,
the designers, builders and users of these aircraft
that make protected switches so attractive . . . or
even a good idea?

Bob . . .

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

More “Stuff”, more changes, and less ergonomic design and testing. I know in my airplane I have switches on everything…..I could live without some of them. But then I would have to use the breaker as a switch if I really needed to turn items off.

Rene'
801-721-6080

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert L. Nuckolls, III
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 2:17 PM
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Essential Bus Switch

It's more an 'endurance bus' than an 'essential bus'.
It was designed to conserve energy and used to
power devices most useful to sustaining comfortable
en-route phase of flight.

I am curious. There are hundreds of thousands of
light aircraft manufactured and, I presume, successfully
flown without benefit of protected switches of any
kind.

What is so different about the OBAM aviation aircraft,
the designers, builders and users of these aircraft
that make protected switches so attractive . . . or
even a good idea?

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

At 01:11 PM 4/7/2016, you wrote:

Quote:
What would be a good choice for a switch (and vendor) to use for the essential bus? My avionics bus will only have a transponder, ADS-B, GNS-650,and SL-15.

should this switch be a simple toggle or should it be a Kaliko circuit breaker switch?

THANKS!!!

Bill Hunter

Bill Hunter
+1 408-464-1902

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

Quote:

breaker/switches are expensive, seldom compatible
with the styling of other switches and generally
serve no useful purpose in the artfully crafted
architecture . . . Do your FMEA, under what
conditions would that breaker be called upon to
do its job? How to do craft the system such that
no such condition is likely to occur . . . i.e.
as reliable as prop bolts?

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

Quote:

You have both an endurance bus -AND- and avionics
bus?

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

Quote:
 bus?

Thanks for helping!
I do not want to fool with an avionics Master relay and the switch does not have to be a circuit breaker.
The airplane will have two completely independent electrical systems with the ability to bus tie.
The pilot side bus will have a dynon SV1000 and Dynon radio.
The copilot's bus will also have a Dynon SV1000 and the copilot system will also power the Avionics bus that will power only a Garmin G650, Garmin SL 15, Dynon transponder, and a Dynon ADS-B.
So I need to find a good quality toggle switch that has the capability to power only these five items and none of them use their complete power all of the time. 
THANKS AGAIN!!!
Bill Hunter On Apr 8, 2016 8:08 AM, "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

bus?

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

At 10:20 AM 4/8/2016, you wrote:

Quote:
>You have both an endurance bus -AND- and avionics
 bus?

Thanks for helping!

I do not want to fool with an avionics Master relay and the
switch does not have to be a circuit breaker.

Correct. The AV-master . . . when used . . . is part
of a bus feeder. It doesn't get 'protected'.

Quote:
The airplane will have two completely independent electrical systems with the ability to bus tie.

The copilot's bus will also have a Dynon SV1000 and the copilot system will also power the Avionics bus that will power only a Garmin G650, Garmin SL 15, Dynon transponder, and a Dynon ADS-B.

So I need to find a good quality toggle switch that has the capability to power only these five items and none of them use their complete power all of the time.Â

ANY toggle switch will carry that current. There
is no value to be secured by purchasing a 'military',
'aviation' or otherwise holy-watered switch.

Assuming that switch is situated in the ONLY source
of power to the bus . . . then why not power these
devices from the ENDURANCE bus which classically
enjoys two feeders?

The value of an 'avionics bus' was ill-conceived
from the get-go. Given modern application of DO-160 design
protocols . . . an avionics bus is totally unnecessary.
If you have dual, independent main busses with cross-feed
capability, then 'endurance' bus adds no value.

See: http://tinyurl.com/jqgndsx

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for your time!!!

Quote:
If you have dual, independent main busses with cross-feed capability, then 'endurance' bus adds no value.

The only reason why I want an Avionics bus is to turn off unnecessary electrical loads on the system during starting.  I presume the Garmin 650 and the Dynon ADS-B and transponder are not susceptible to power surge issues during engine start and since I will have two Optima batteries this is all way overkill.

The left bus is powered by the SD-20 and it has a Dynon SV-1000 with its own GPS and Dynon radio and the right side bus will be powered by a SD-60 and it will power the Avionics bus with a Garmin 650 (radio and nav).

Here is the anointed military switch I am going with…only $14.00.

http://www.skygeek.com/honeywell-micro-switch-1tl1-3-switch.html

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill  Hunter

From: owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-aeroelectric-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Robert L. Nuckolls, III
Sent: Saturday, April 9, 2016 3:36 PM
Subject: Re: Essential Bus Switch

At 10:20 AM 4/8/2016, you wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
 bus?

Thanks for helping!

I do not want to fool with an avionics Master relay and the
switch does not have to be a circuit breaker.

Correct. The AV-master . . . when used . . . is part
of a bus feeder. It doesn't get 'protected'.
Quote:

So I need to find a good quality toggle switch that has the capability to power only these five items and none of them use their complete power all of the time.Â

ANY toggle switch will carry that current. There
is no value to be secured by purchasing a 'military',
'aviation' or otherwise holy-watered switch.

Assuming that switch is situated in the ONLY source
of power to the bus . . . then why not power these
devices from the ENDURANCE bus which classically
enjoys two feeders?

The value of an 'avionics bus' was ill-conceived
from the get-go. Given modern application of DO-160 design
protocols . . . an avionics bus is totally unnecessary.
If you have dual, independent main busses with cross-feed
capability, then 'endurance' bus adds no value.

See: http://tinyurl.com/jqgndsx
Bob . . .

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

-------- Original message --------
Date:04/09/2016 7:15 PM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: RE: AeroElectric-List: Essential Bus Switch

Thanks Bob for your time!!!

Quote:
If you have dual, independent main busses with cross-feed capability, then 'endurance' bus adds no value.

The only reason why I want an Avionics bus is to turn off unnecessary electrical loads on the system during starting.  I presume the Garmin 650 and the Dynon ADS-B and transponder are not susceptible to power surge issues during engine start and since I will have two Optima batteries this is all way overkill.

The left bus is powered by the SD-20 and it has a Dynon SV-1000 with its own GPS and Dynon radio and the right side bus will be powered by a SD-60 and it will power the Avionics bus with a Garmin 650 (radio and nav).

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill  Hunter

You'll cuss yourself for using screw terminals the 1st time you're forced to do electrical work after you're flying. Smile
Charlie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

I've been cussing myself for starting this project
Bill Hunter
+1 408-464-1902 On Apr 9, 2016 6:06 PM, "Charlie England" <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

-------- Original message --------
Date:04/09/2016 7:15 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com (aeroelectric-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: RE: Essential Bus S7471149003873957878__MailEndCompose">Thanks Bob for your time!!!

Quote:

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill  Hunter

You'll cuss yourself for using screw terminals the 1st time you're forced to do electrical work after you're flying. Smile
Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

Quote:

The only reason why I want an Avionics bus is to turn off unnecessary electrical loads on the system during starting. I presume the Garmin 650 and the Dynon ADS-B and transponder are not susceptible to power surge issues during engine start and since I will have two Optima batteries this is all way overkill.

There are no 'surges' during engine cranking . . .
if your battery(ies) are soggy, then there will
be a brown-out condition . . . and engine cranking
will be noticeably labored. If an RG battery is
so used up that it no longer smartly cranks the
engine, then its serviceability as a reserve of
energy is suspect.

No electronic device is at-risk for damage due
to cranking brown-out. SOME software driven devices
may initiate a reset operation . . . but it is
not damaged in any way. See:

http://tinyurl.com/jb3mgh5

and

http://tinyurl.com/j2jt5ul

I've been herding electrons in aircraft and
ground-based vehicles for a long time. I've never
encountered a device that ran off the rails
due to any excursions of bus voltage . . . that's
because its a trivial design goal to make our
electro-whizzies immune to anything the airplane
throws at it plus a lightning bolt or two from
mother nature.

Relieving a battery of 'unnecessary loads' during
cranking is another artifact of yesteryear when
radios drew a lot more current and poorly maintained
flooded batteries were routinely taxed beyond
their physical limits.

But today, a hand full of amps 'unnecessary load'
during the 200amps plus cranking event grunted by
a modern battery, the value of load shedding
during cranking.

Quote:

Any devices powered from these busses are at no
risk for either -damage- or -overtaxing- a
battery during cranking.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

Good info Bob. I REALLY want to thank you and the other guys on the AeroElectric forum for you time, effort, and experience in helping me during this project…GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 7:58 AM
Subject: RE: Essential Bus Switch
Quote:

The only reason why I want an Avionics bus is to turn off unnecessary electrical loads on the system during starting. I presume the Garmin 650 and the Dynon ADS-B and transponder are not susceptible to power surge issues during engine start and since I will have two Optima batteries this is all way overkill.

There are no 'surges' during engine cranking . . .
if your battery(ies) are soggy, then there will
be a brown-out condition . . . and engine cranking
will be noticeably labored. If an RG battery is
so used up that it no longer smartly cranks the
engine, then its serviceability as a reserve of
energy is suspect.

No electronic device is at-risk for damage due
to cranking brown-out. SOME software driven devices
may initiate a reset operation . . . but it is
not damaged in any way. See:

http://tinyurl.com/jb3mgh5

and

http://tinyurl.com/j2jt5ul

I've been herding electrons in aircraft and
ground-based vehicles for a long time. I've never
encountered a device that ran off the rails
due to any excursions of bus voltage . . . that's
because its a trivial design goal to make our
electro-whizzies immune to anything the airplane
throws at it plus a lightning bolt or two from
mother nature.

Relieving a battery of 'unnecessary loads' during
cranking is another artifact of yesteryear when
radios drew a lot more current and poorly maintained
flooded batteries were routinely taxed beyond
their physical limits.

But today, a hand full of amps 'unnecessary load'
during the 200amps plus cranking event grunted by
a modern battery, the value of load shedding
during cranking.

Quote:

Any devices powered from these busses are at no
risk for either -damage- or -overtaxing- a
battery during cranking.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

At 10:19 AM 4/10/2016, you wrote:
Quote:
Good info Bob. I REALLY want to thank you and the other guys on the AeroElectric forum for you time, effort, and experience in helping me during this project…GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

You are most welcome sir but you have
come to the right place. This is what
we do here.

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Essential Bus Switch Reply with quote

Yes I know this is what you (all) do…however…this is an amazing “service” to the experimental aircraft community and it is important for me to voice (type) my gratitude!!!

Cheers!!!

Bill Hunter

Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2016 12:30 PM
Subject: RE: Essential Bus Switch

At 10:19 AM 4/10/2016, you wrote:

Quote:

You are most welcome sir but you have
come to the right place. This is what
we do here.

Bob . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: