Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EFB's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgroote1(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: EFB's Reply with quote

I haven't heard much lately on the list about EFB comparisons - FF, WingX, FlyQ, etc. I'd like to get traffic on my iPad from my NavWorx ADS600B but Foreflight (which I've used for a number of years, and like) doesn't support it. Any suggestions?
Curtis Groote

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
jesse(at)saintaviation.co

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: EFB's Reply with quote

Curtis,

Foreflight doesn't support Navworx yet, but I have it on good authority that this should change by Oshkosh. If you are comfortable with Foreflight and can wait another couple of months, then it may be worth waiting.

Jesse Saint
Saint Aviation, Inc.
352-427-0285
jesse(at)saintaviation.com

Sent from my iPad

Quote:
On Apr 30, 2016, at 10:10 PM, Curtis Groote <cgroote1(at)yahoo.com> wrote:

I haven't heard much lately on the list about EFB comparisons - FF, WingX, FlyQ, etc. I'd like to get traffic on my iPad from my NavWorx ADS600B but Foreflight (which I've used for a number of years, and like) doesn't support it. Any suggestions?

Curtis Groote

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Mauledriver(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: EFB's Reply with quote

I have a Navworx box and use FF so I'm looking forward to support of
traffic and weather on the iPad as well.

However, I've been flying with Navworx traffic and weather displayed on
my GRT EFIS's. Given close to 5 years of experience with this setup, I
doubt whether I will spend another $$ on getting the information on my
iPad. Why? Traffic and weather, especially traffic, is something I
want to primarily see on my EFIS map and PFD display. That's where I
do my actually flying and it's closer to my out the window view where
I'm trying to cross check both traffic and wx. Of course, sometimes
that view outside is somewhat limited....

OTOH, I completely depend on my FF iPad for charts, plates and
planning. I made a significant effort to mount it right under my right
hand. I even use it to copy clearances. I have no desire to see
traffic on it. Nexrad imagery would be nice for planning purposes but
I'm able to do that by cross referencing with my EFIS map. Having
Nexrad imagery and the rest of the wx on the iPad would be nice but at
this point, it's not worth $2 more than I've already spent.

Don't know your panel setup but just another experience to consider.

Bill "wondering if FF's Navworx support will include my ADS600-EXP box"
Watson
On 4/30/2016 10:10 PM, Curtis Groote wrote:
Quote:

Curtis Groote

rene(at)felker.com

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: EFB's Reply with quote

Not to start a fight.........but Wing X connected to Navworx is my go to in
flight. Weather, traffic, and all the other data at your finger tip. I
love all the data on my GRT, but when I am in the air I like to use the
EFFIS to fly the airplane and the IPAD to look out beyond what is next to
me.......

I was already a Wing X user.......

--

Tim Olson

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: EFB's Reply with quote

I basically agree with Bill Watson, myself. I think WX and traffic are important to have available on the MFD, so I have them there, you don't want to have to look down or away to deal with traffic, and having the WX display on your MFD allows you to deviate around it with vectors from ATC and see it all happen. I think you can get by without it on the iPad though...but you don't have to, so why not have it both places. With the current NavWorX software you have two serial outputs, so one goes to the EFIS and one to a wifi adapter, and that gives you both. It's very simple to wire up.

When it comes to apps, I have WingX, Foreflight, and FlyQ. With FlyQ I have a lifetime subscription...so I would love it if I could say they are as stable and good as the others....but they aren't. They were doing well until their last version upgrade. It crashes too much (I think due to some NavWorX data stream info) for me to recommend it right now. WingX is easily my favorite for in flight and approach use. Foreflight is easily my favorite for pre-flight planning. If you have to have just one app, I would lean towards Foreflight because it is so good at preflight planning and plan filing. But if you are mainly concerned with flying approaches I would use wingX. I like it enough that I recently paid another 3 year subscription for it, as it is very handy for inflight use.
Hopefully by the time the subscription is up, FlyQ will be all working perfectly.

ForeFlights biggest problem is its "closed-ness" in not supporting all ADS-B systems. If they support them all, it would be much harder to pick a different software, as at that point it's just the fact that for in flight approach loading it would be slower and more clumsy...but do-able.
Tim

[quote] On May 1, 2016, at 8:18 AM, Rene <rene(at)felker.com> wrote:

Not to start a fight.........but Wing X connected to Navworx is my go to in
flight. Weather, traffic, and all the other data at your finger tip. I
love all the data on my GRT, but when I am in the air I like to use the
EFFIS to fly the airplane and the IPAD to look out beyond what is next to
me.......

I was already a Wing X user.......

--

Bob Turner

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EFB's Reply with quote

Another vote for Bill.
I use a Skyradar D2 which sends traffic and weather to both my GRT HX (usually I split the screen) and iPad with WingX. I only use the iPad if someone else is flying and I want to play around with it. Great backup, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: