Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aftermarket suggestions- was Aeroled Aerosun VX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rv10flyer(at)live.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Aftermarket suggestions- was Aeroled Aerosun VX Reply with quote

Patrick;
We are on this forum to help each other out. I was merely agreeing with Kelly because its been 5 years on my plane and the quality still shows. One just needs to do this once and know there is a difference.
Living in Southern California I have had the privilege of working with a few local companies creating parts for the RV-10, Anti-splat Aero gust lock; planeinnovations SS vents; and Cee Baileys Windscreen and lenses. In the case of Cee Baileys, I assisted with making recommendations for improvements. We used my warped (right bottom side did not fit well at all) Vans windscreen and tip lenses and spent months and about 10-12 windscreens assuring that what was finally used by Cee Baileys was indeed better in quality and final fit on two different canopies, we used two knowing that each canopy may be slightly different, it isn’t perfect but I assure you it is a better fit out of the box and there is far less work involved to completion. Cee Baileys quality is superior, not because of my involvement but because one can literally see the difference.
I gained the satisfaction of knowing that those after me have it easier with better parts available for their planes. I purchased, albeit at a discounted rate, the parts I helped with, I make nothing financial on others purchasing the products. I’ve used them and in some cases contacted the company and suggested improvements, just like anyone else can do. Although it wasn’t Cee Baileys, one company had the same passion for making the product right, we spent over a year working on a part until the fit was right. If I thought a product wasn’t fit for others I would say so. I am no expert, far from that, but I will give my agreement on parts, based on my experience, that may help others in their build process. This doesn’t mean having Vans parts isn’t fine, it is more than fine, and that is based on 5 years of confirming it.

Pascal

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2016 8:26 PM
To: rv10-list(at)matronics.com (rv10-list(at)matronics.com)
Subject: Re: RV10-List: Aeroled Aerosun VX

Ask Pascal...IIRC he had to replace his Vans windshield. Having done Vans winshield myself, it is nothing to write home about, having replaced a fair number of windows//windshields on certified aircraft.

Kelly

A&P/IA

-sent from the I-chip implanted in my forearm

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Patrick Thyssen <jump2(at)sbcglobal.net (jump2(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Really how many of vans wind screens and lens have you installed vs Dee bialys have you put in? What, you did one and now your an expert I think not.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 1, 2016, at 8:00 PM, P Reid <rv10flyer(at)live.com (rv10flyer(at)live.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I completely agree. The quality I also better. I have their lens and windscreen and in both cases it clearer and “feels” more solid. With the lenses and the windscreen they come slightly larger to allow for final trim. It minimal work compared to cutting lenses in half and trimming and way less than the windscreen. In general, I highly recommend the tires, tubes, (basically the RV-10 kit) from Desser and the windows and lenses from Cee baileys, all the same site by the way and skipping the parts sent by Vans in kits.
Equal or less in price than Vans and better quality- also shipping for everything except the windscreen is usually free.
There is a dedicated site for Vans-http://www.vansaircrafttires.com/categories/RV%252d10/

From: owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com) [mailto:owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com (owner-rv10-list-server(at)matronics.com)] On Behalf Of Kelly McMullen
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2016 5:05 PM

Sounds like you either did not have lens correctly oriented when you trimmed, or you haven't trimmed enough.

You can get higher quality, already mostly trimmed lens from Cee Bailey division of Desser Tire. They sell pre-trimmed replacement windows and windshield as well.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM, whodja <whodja(at)gmail.com (whodja(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "whodja" <whodja(at)gmail.com (whodja(at)gmail.com)>

Landing light lens installation kit needs to be modified so the lens fits tight. The edge of the lens tends to protrude and not fit flush on the wing rib side. The outside near the tip seam fits very well. It looks like the only we to make a nice smooth blend from the fiberglass to the lens is to build up the fiberglass. Has anyone had the same issue? Any recommendations on how best to fix the issue?

Working on QB wings

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=460100#460100

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
eferrer" target="_blank">http://forums.matronics.com
===========
WIKI -
errer" target="_blank">http://wiki.matronics.com
===========
b Site -
-Matt Dralle, List Admin.
rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

- The Matronics RV10-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
Tim Olson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Aftermarket suggestions- was Aeroled Aerosun VX Reply with quote

I can verify that the standard Van's windshield for the RV 10 doesn't fit correctly on the lower right corner. At first I thought it was just me. But it's happened to many people. I've never bought anything from Cee Bailey's, but, after my experience I would tend to trust what Pascal is saying. If I were doing it again I'd use that part instead.
In contrast, the back window and front windshield both fit real well on the RV 14 from Van's. So I do like sticking with the factory parts were possible, but when you can get a better part somewhere else, it's worthwhile. Big example: Matco front nose axle.
Even bigger example: aftermarket main gear axle extensions.
Tim

On Sep 2, 2016, at 11:52 AM, P Reid <rv10flyer(at)live.com (rv10flyer(at)live.com)> wrote:
Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Patrick;
We are on this forum to help each other out. I was merely agreeing with Kelly because its been 5 years on my plane and the quality still shows. One just needs to do this once and know there is a difference.
Living in Southern California I have had the privilege of working with a few local companies creating parts for the RV-10, Anti-splat Aero gust lock; planeinnovations SS vents; and Cee Baileys Windscreen and lenses. In the case of Cee Baileys, I assisted with making recommendations for improvements. We used my warped (right bottom side did not fit well at all) Vans windscreen and tip lenses and spent months and about 10-12 windscreens assuring that what was finally used by Cee Baileys was indeed better in quality and final fit on two different canopies, we used two knowing that each canopy may be slightly different, it isn’t perfect but I assure you it is a better fit out of the box and there is far less work involved to completion. Cee Baileys quality is superior, not because of my involvement but because one can literally see the difference.
I gained the satisfaction of knowing that those after me have it easier with better parts available for their planes. I purchased, albeit at a discounted rate, the parts I helped with, I make nothing financial on others purchasing the products. I’ve used them and in some cases contacted the company and suggested improvements, just like anyone else can do. Although it wasn’t Cee Baileys, one company had the same passion for making the product right, we spent over a year working on a part until the fit was right. If I thought a product wasn’t fit for others I would say so. I am no expert, far from that, but I will give my agreement on parts, based on my experience, that may help others in their build process. This doesn’t mean having Vans parts isn’t fine, it is more than fine, and that is based on 5 years of confirming it.

Pascal

Subject: Re: Aeroled Aerosun VX

Ask Pascal...IIRC he had to replace his Vans windshield. Having done Vans winshield myself, it is nothing to write home about, having replaced a fair number of windows//windshields on certified aircraft.

Kelly

A&P/IA

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Patrick Thyssen <jump2(at)sbcglobal.net (jump2(at)sbcglobal.net)> wrote:
Really how many of vans wind screens and lens have you installed vs Dee bialys have you put in? What, you did one and now your an expert I think not.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 1, 2016, at 8:00 PM, P Reid <rv10flyer(at)live.com (rv10flyer(at)live.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I completely agree. The quality I also better. I have their lens and windscreen and in both cases it clearer and “feels” more solid. With the lenses and the windscreen they come slightly larger to allow for final trim. It minimal work compared to cutting lenses in half and trimming and way less than the windscreen. In general, I highly recommend the tires, tubes, (basically the RV-10 kit) from Desser and the windows and lenses from Cee baileys, all the same site by the way and skipping the parts sent by Vans in kits.
Equal or less in price than Vans and better quality- also shipping for everything except the windscreen is usually free.
There is a dedicated site for Vans-http://www.vansaircrafttires.com/categories/RV%252d10/

Subject: Re: Aeroled Aerosun VX

Sounds like you either did not have lens correctly oriented when you trimmed, or you haven't trimmed enough.

You can get higher quality, already mostly trimmed lens from Cee Bailey division of Desser Tire. They sell pre-trimmed replacement windows and windshield as well.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM, whodja <whodja(at)gmail.com (whodja(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
--> RV10-List message posted by: "whodja" <whodja(at)gmail.com (whodja(at)gmail.com)>

Landing light lens installation kit needs to be modified so the lens fits tight. The edge of the lens tends to protrude and not fit flush on the wing rib side. The outside near the tip seam fits very well. It looks like the only we to make a nice smooth blend from the fiberglass to the lens is to build up the fiberglass. Has anyone had the same issue? Any recommendations on how best to fix the issue?

Working on QB wings

===========
-List" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RV10-List
===========
FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -
===========

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

jdriggs49(at)MSN.COM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Aftermarket suggestions- was Aeroled Aerosun VX Reply with quote

That is not only just a problem with the windows from Van's. I got an improperly welded nose gear to nose strut. Probably done by one of their outside vendors. (I hope!)
Landed on the mains and slowly lowered the nose. Nose wheel sheared off. Fortunately I had insurance as it cost $92k to repair. 😱
I had a certified welder look at it and they said it was a cold weld to start with and too small of a fillet. It wasn't all bad as they let me do the repairs myself and I used the money I saved on labor to buy a Garmin 750 GPS.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 2, 2016, at 12:20 PM, Tim Olson <Tim(at)MyRV10.com (Tim(at)myrv10.com)> wrote:

Quote:

I can verify that the standard Van's windshield for the RV 10 doesn't fit correctly on the lower right corner. At first I thought it was just me. But it's happened to many people. I've never bought anything from Cee Bailey's, but, after my experience I would tend to trust what Pascal is saying. If I were doing it again I'd use that part instead.

In contrast, the back window and front windshield both fit real well on the RV 14 from Van's. So I do like sticking with the factory parts were possible, but when you can get a better part somewhere else, it's worthwhile. Big example: Matco front nose axle.
Even bigger example: aftermarket main gear axle extensions.

Tim

On Sep 2, 2016, at 11:52 AM, P Reid <rv10flyer(at)live.com (rv10flyer(at)live.com)> wrote:

Quote:
<![endif]--> <![endif]-->
Patrick;

Pascal

Kelly

A&P/IA

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad

Quote:

Working on QB wings

===========
===========
FORUMS -
===========
WIKI -
===========
b Site -
===========

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RV10-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: