Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finishing/ painting touchup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonSmith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Finishing/ painting touchup? Reply with quote

As a winter job I'd like to improve a few small surface areas on my classic that have needed filling, for example the area surrounding the new XS fuel filler cap when I installed the extended baggage bay mod and the area where I subsequently removed and covered in the old classic fuel filler cap etc. Plus the odd ding or two encountered in the finish over the years.
In each case I've completed the layups where required, did a rough and ready fill and sand with expancel then covered the areas temporarily with white self adhesive vinyl to get flying again asap! Now some years later I'd like to remove be the vinyl and make good the paint!

My question is - for the small jobs needed it's absolutely not worth the time, effort and cost of going to a professional painter - I'd like to do it at home in my garage. My machine although reasonable will never win awards for appearances without a complete makeover. Therefore can anyone recommend any home-use products such as aerosols or hand applied products that I can use for all the finishing stages to make good my patches? Also any useful techniques would be appreciated.
As I mentioned I've done the first fill with epoxy/expancel and nothing else yet.

The final colour I believe is Ford Diamond White! Is an aerosol from Halfords any good for this purpose? I was thinking about UV protection requirements - does that matter for small patches?

Cheers, Jon

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List

kheindl(at)msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Finishing/ painting touchup? Reply with quote

Hi Jon,
It is easier to use an HVLP spray gun for all paint or primer jobs, if available, but
I have used aerosols for the speed kit and don't see any reason why it shouldn't be used on other parts. The importance of UV protection is overrated in my opinion, unless your aircraft is parked all year round in a place like Arizona. The best way to protect the fibreglass from UV is to use a dark
primer. I originally used an expensive 2-part epoxy primer and paint, but now feel that a regular basecoat with a clear lacquer on top, just like on millions of cars, is adequate, and easy to repair.
Cars retain their finish for many many years.
Talking about cars, I have ordered a paint kit for mine, as I want to take care of a rusty area. You can get these kits on ebay.co.uk, and they consist of 400 ml aerosol basecoat, mixed to any colour code,
plus 400 ml of clear lacquer, at very reasonable cost. Of course for your Ford white Halfords should be good enough.
Karl

From: owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com <owner-europa-list-server(at)matronics.com> on behalf of JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa(at)tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: 03 February 2017 18:36:21
To: europa-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Finishing/ painting touchup?

--> Europa-List message posted by: "JonSmith" <jonsmitheuropa(at)tiscali.co.uk>

As a winter job I'd like to improve a few small surface areas on my classic that have needed filling, for example the area surrounding the new XS fuel filler cap when I installed the extended baggage bay mod and the area where I subsequently removed and covered in the old classic fuel filler cap etc. Plus the odd ding or two encountered in the finish over the years.
In each case I've completed the layups where required, did a rough and ready fill and sand with expancel then covered the areas temporarily with white self adhesive vinyl to get flying again asap! Now some years later I'd like to remove be the vinyl and make good the paint!

My question is - for the small jobs needed it's absolutely not worth the time, effort and cost of going to a professional painter - I'd like to do it at home in my garage. My machine although reasonable will never win awards for appearances without a complete makeover. Therefore can anyone recommend any home-use products such as aerosols or hand applied products that I can use for all the finishing stages to make good my patches? Also any useful techniques would be appreciated.
As I mentioned I've done the first fill with epoxy/expancel and nothing else yet.

The final colour I believe is Ford Diamond White! Is an aerosol from Halfords any good for this purpose? I was thinking about UV protection requirements - does that matter for small patches?

Cheers, Jon

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono

Read this topic online here:

http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=465716#465716

===========
st Email Forum -
pa-List">http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
===========
p; - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -
ums.matronics.com
===========
p; - NEW MATRONICS LIST WIKI -
matronics.com
===========
p; - List Contribution Web Site -
p;   -Matt Dralle, List Admin.
http://www.matronics.com/contribution
===========

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

JonSmith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Finishing/ painting touchup? Reply with quote

Hi Karl, many thanks for your reply and advice. Aerosol cans I think it will be.....!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: