Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TSU'd Usb charger??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mullokintyre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Hello Electrical Gurus.
I recently got an email from Aircraft Spruce advertising Appeareo stratus dual power usb charging port which was TSO’d.
I am aware that TSO defines technical standards to which each device must conform.
But I am wondering just what is in a TSO’d version of a USB charger port versus a non TSO’d one.
Especially given the price quoted on the Spruce website is $399.95.
For that money, I would want it gold plated at least.
Mick building an RV9A.

- The Matronics AeroElectric-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?AeroElectric-List
alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

What is included for the price is FAA permission to hardwire it to a type-certificates aircraft without invalidating the certificate of airworthiness.

If you have such an airplane and want legally to install a USB charger that's worth 10x any amount of gold plating.

Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 5:45 AM, MICK MULLER bigpond <mmul6471(at)bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Hello Electrical Gurus.
I recently got an email from Aircraft Spruce advertising Appeareo stratus dual power usb charging port which was TSO’d.
I am aware that TSO defines technical standards to which each device must conform.
But I am wondering just what is in a TSO’d version of a USB charger port versus a non TSO’d one.
For that money, I would want it gold plated at least.
Mick building an RV9A.

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

user9253

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

The Appareo Stratus ESG already has two of 5 VDC outputs. All you have to do is buy the USB ports from eBay for about $2 and connect the wires.

rlborger(at)mac.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Aero Folks,
And if you happen to need one in your Experimental OBAM aircraft where the TSO isn’t necessary there’s a nice unit available for $75 from:

http://commitlift.com

Blue skies & tailwinds,Bob BorgerEuropa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP3705 Lynchburg Dr.Corinth, TX 76208-5331Cel: 817-992-1117rlborger(at)mac.com (rlborger(at)mac.com)

Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 4:45 AM, MICK MULLER bigpond <mmul6471(at)bigpond.net.au (mmul6471(at)bigpond.net.au)> wrote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: MICK MULLER bigpond <mmul6471(at)bigpond.net.au (mmul6471(at)bigpond.net.au)>Hello Electrical Gurus.I recently got an email from Aircraft Spruce advertising Appeareo stratus dual power usb charging port which was TSO’d.I am aware that TSO defines technical standards to which each device must conform.But I am wondering just what is in a TSO’d version of a USB charger port versus a non TSO’d one.Especially given the price quoted on the Spruce website is $399.95.For that money, I would want it gold plated at least.Mick building an RV9A.http://wiki.matronics.com

nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

At 04:45 AM 4/25/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: MICK MULLER bigpond <mmul6471(at)bigpond.net.au>

Hello Electrical Gurus.
For that money, I would want it gold plated at least

or perhaps platinum plated . . .

Try any usb power port product you like. It's
an experimental airplane . . . this means you
can try things that may be discarded for one
reason or another later.

Risks for incorporation of jelly-bean usb
power products include noise in radios
and/or perhaps simple lack of robustness for
the aviation environment. Just be aware
of the potential risks and explore them
under comfortable, low risk flying conditions.

If you plan to run some appliance that is
extraordinarily useful/necessary for comfortable
conduct of your flight, consider building your
own usb power port. It's just a 5v power source.
A linear regulator generates no noise and is
only a little larger/heavier.

But yeah, give me a break. . . . 'TSO' in
this case is a license to extort . . .

Bob . . .

alec(at)alecmyers.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Quote:
>But yeah, give me a break. . . . 'TSO' in

Bob, I think that's a little harsh. If you own a TC aircraft - which can be anything up to a multi-million dollar business jet, remember, and you want a USB socket, you need something TSO'd. You yourself probably know better than anyone the cost of pushing the paperwork through on that, versus the number of units likely to be sold.

If there's any "extortion" going on it's by the FAA and the ICAO - it seems unfair to single out this product for criticism.

ceengland7(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

On 4/25/2017 8:35 AM, Alec Myers wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com> (alec(at)alecmyers.com)
Quote:
Quote:

Bob, I think that's a little harsh. If you own a TC aircraft - which can be anything up to a multi-million dollar business jet, remember, and you want a USB socket, you need something TSO'd. You yourself probably know better than anyone the cost of pushing the paperwork through on that, versus the number of units likely to be sold.

If there's any "extortion" going on it's by the FAA and the ICAO - it seems unfair to single out this product for criticism.

People seem to almost always blame regulations on the regulator (government). It's rarely that simple a case.

Example from one of my past lives:
One aspect of my former business was installing and maintaining security systems (burglar/fire alarms). At the time, there were 2 or 3 big companies in my area, and me (much smaller, but I was probably the only one who would service 'orphaned' systems). As fear of crime heated up, demand went up and new players appeared on the supply side. One day I got a call from one of the big companies, inviting me to help form a new local organization of alarm companies so that we could lobby the legislature for regulations requiring any new companies to be 'certified' and licensed.  Got to protect those consumers from those inexperienced, incompetent new companies, right? Existing companies would be grandfathered in, of course...

For an example closer to home, look at the most common a/c carburetor. Do some historical research, tracking the dates of ownership changes (remembering that typically, big money changes hands) of the carb design, and overlay the dates of the series of AD's on the float. Correlation? Causation? You decide.

We get the government we lobby for. Or we get the government that someone else lobbies for, while we do nothing.

Charlie

Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

enginerdy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Some of these USB chargers out there are utter crap though!

I’ve now racked up a handful of reported instances where people (temporarily) wire in some sort of 5V converter for their flight computers or other electronics and end up with ‘terrible screeching’ on the radio.

For a guy flying around in a mid-6-figure airplane, a $400 USB jack is a no-brainer. For the rest of us, be careful what you buy. That $12 USB charger from Walmart may not be very good.
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 9:52 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Alec Myers <alec(at)alecmyers.com> (alec(at)alecmyers.com)
Quote:
Quote:

People seem to almost always blame regulations on the regulator (government). It's rarely that simple a case. Example from one of my past lives: One aspect of my former business was installing and maintaining security systems (burglar/fire alarms). At the time, there were 2 or 3 big companies in my area, and me (much smaller, but I was probably the only one who would service 'orphaned' systems). As fear of crime heated up, demand went up and new players appeared on the supply side. One day I got a call from one of the big companies, inviting me to help form a new local organization of alarm companies so that we could lobby the legislature for regulations requiring any new companies to be 'certified' and licensed. Got to protect those consumers from those inexperienced, incompetent new companies, right? Existing companies would be grandfathered in, of course... For an example closer to home, look at the most common a/c carburetor. Do some historical research, tracking the dates of ownership changes (remembering that typically, big money changes hands) of the carb design, and overlay the dates of the series of AD's on the float. Correlation? Causation? You decide. We get the government we lobby for. Or we get the government that someone else lobbies for, while we do nothing. Charlie Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=x-msg://52/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

arcticarrow(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Bob
Could you right up the details on building our own Quiet USB charger?
Thanks
Bernie Willis

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Daniel Hooper <enginerdy(at)gmail.com (enginerdy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I’ve now racked up a handful of reported instances where people (temporarily) wire in some sort of 5V converter for their flight computers or other electronics and end up with ‘terrible screeching’ on the radio.

For a guy flying around in a mid-6-figure airplane, a $400 USB jack is a no-brainer. For the rest of us, be careful what you buy. That $12 USB charger from Walmart may not be very good.
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 9:52 AM, Charlie England <ceengland7(at)gmail.com (ceengland7(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

People seem to almost always blame regulations on the regulator (government). It's rarely that simple a case. Example from one of my past lives: One aspect of my former business was installing and maintaining security systems (burglar/fire alarms). At the time, there were 2 or 3 big companies in my area, and me (much smaller, but I was probably the only one who would service 'orphaned' systems). As fear of crime heated up, demand went up and new players appeared on the supply side. One day I got a call from one of the big companies, inviting me to help form a new local organization of alarm companies so that we could lobby the legislature for regulations requiring any new companies to be 'certified' and licensed. Got to protect those consumers from those inexperienced, incompetent new companies, right? Existing companies would be grandfathered in, of course... For an example closer to home, look at the most common a/c carburetor. Do some historical research, tracking the dates of ownership changes (remembering that typically, big money changes hands) of the carb design, and overlay the dates of the series of AD's on the float. Correlation? Causation? You decide. We get the government we lobby for. Or we get the government that someone else lobbies for, while we do nothing. Charlie Virus-free. www.avast.com [url=x-msg://52/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2] [/url]

enginerdy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

I did all the background research necessary to do a fully-protected and whisper-quiet (and probably TSO-able) one a while back, but then Commit Lift and a few others came along and it wasn’t really worth it anymore.

My chip-level design was going to be a minimum of $100 a unit to sell anyway, and it’s hard to compete when people don’t understand the difference between your $100 product and a $10 product.

Just my 0.02.. : /
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Bernie <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com (arcticarrow(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Bob

Thanks
Bernie WillisSent from my iPhone
On Apr 25, 2017, at 7:07 AM, Daniel Hooper <enginerdy(at)gmail.com (enginerdy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

arcticarrow(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Bob,
Found Committ Lift.

Thanks,
Bernie
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Daniel Hooper <enginerdy(at)gmail.com (enginerdy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
I did all the background research necessary to do a fully-protected and whisper-quiet (and probably TSO-able) one a while back, but then Commit Lift and a few others came along and it wasn’t really worth it anymore.

My chip-level design was going to be a minimum of $100 a unit to sell anyway, and it’s hard to compete when people don’t understand the difference between your $100 product and a $10 product.

Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Bernie <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com (arcticarrow(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Bob

Thanks
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

enginerdy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Just for clarity’s sake, I am not Bob.
—Daniel
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Bernie Willis <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com (arcticarrow(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Bob,
Found Committ Lift.

Thanks,
Bernie
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 9:00 AM, Daniel Hooper <enginerdy(at)gmail.com (enginerdy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:

Quote:
Bob

Thanks
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Eric Page

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

My experience was virtually identical to Daniel's. I spent several months and a several $hundred$ on prototypes of a ground-up design to get a charger that worked well and -- with some guidance from our mentor here -- was electrically quiet. Then I sat down and figured out what I would have to charge for it to make it worth my trouble. When I considered what would be involved (form an LLC; get panels of PCBs fabricated and robotically assembled; stock shipping supplies; build a website; set up payment acceptance; handle federal, state and local tax reporting; traipse to the post office to fulfill orders; deal with tech support requests; handle the inevitable returns -- and after all that, make a reasonable profit), in the end, it just didn't make any sense.

For an existing company with engineers on staff, an established supply chain and a dealer network, it's feasible; for an electronics and aviation hobbyist, not so much.

Eric
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Daniel Hooper <enginerdy(at)gmail.com> wrote:

arcticarrow(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Thanks, Daniel
Bernie
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 9:54 AM, Daniel Hooper <enginerdy(at)gmail.com (enginerdy(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Just for clarity’s sake, I am not Bob.
—Daniel
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Bernie Willis <arcticarrow(at)gmail.com (arcticarrow(at)gmail.com)> wrote:
Bob,
Found Committ Lift.

Thanks,
Bernie
Quote:

Quote:
Bob

Thanks
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

At 09:52 AM 4/25/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Alec Myers
<alec(at)alecmyers.com> (alec(at)alecmyers.com)
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bob, I think that's a little harsh. If you own a TC aircraft - which can
be anything up to a multi-million dollar business jet, remember, and you
want a USB socket, you need something TSO'd. You yourself probably know
better than anyone the cost of pushing the paperwork through on that,
versus the number of units likely to be sold.

If there's any "extortion" going on it's by the FAA and the
ICAO - it seems unfair to single out this product for criticism.

You are right of course . . . I wasn't clear. It's the
primary reason I have departed the TC aircraft
scene professionally. Back about 1980, I proposed,
prototyped, submitted samples, reworked to customer
desires, did a production drawing package, built
qual test articles, wrote the test plan, did all
but EMC testing in our labs, wrote the test report,
got it bought off by FAA, wrote the acceptance test
procedure and coordinated with the production line
to put a new, all electronic stall and gear warning
horn on the Bonanza and Baron lines at Beech.

Did it all by myself in about 90 days start to finish. To
get that SAME exact product on an airplane today would
probably command a 'team' of a half dozen specialists
and take 6 months to a year to wind it's way through
the ISO9000 policies and procedures mine-field.

I had similar successes with a constant speed pitch
trim system for the Lears and a sprinkling of other
devices at Cessna, Lear and Beech.

My last exertions in TC aircraft were expended about two
years ago. The goal was to convince Beech DERs that we
could take the guts out of a Cessna regulator (made by Lamar)
and put them inside the housing for a Beech regulator (also built
by Lamar). The Beech regulator had been a pain the
the arse for about 30 years. The Cessna regulator had
a flawless field history for about 20 years. Since
both Beech and Cessna were now the same company, you'd
think it was a no-brainer . . . BOTH products were qualified
and had been in production for decades.

Fortunately, my consulting contract ran out about three
weeks into this 'simple fix' . . . and I did not have to
hang around and watch the various 'teams' turn a little
problem into a huge one . . . that took about a year
to get resolved. In the mean time, Bonanza and Baron owners
were suffering the consequences of 'our' inadequacies.

So yes Alec, you're point is well taken . . . to which
I will add the idea that (1) nobody sets out to build a
marginal product and (2) the path to perfection is paved
with spontaneous order, the collegial cooperation of
all interested parties to do the best we know how to do
today and improve on it tomorrow. Improvements that
are now burdened with tons of regulatory mill stones.

Thanks for calling me out on it!

Bob . . .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

At 12:00 PM 4/25/2017, you wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, didn't we have some conversation about
noise filters on that project? I fully understand
and empathize with the go/no-go decision to
go toe-to-toe with the competition . . . ESPECIALLY
in a market like OBAM aircraft where volumes
will be agonizingly low unless you spend kilobux
promoting the product . . . which drives up the
selling price . . .

Been there, done that . . .

Bob . . .

enginerdy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

Quote:
On Apr 25, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Robert L. Nuckolls, III <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com (nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com)> wrote:
Yeah, didn't we have some conversation about noise filters on that project?

I don’t believe that was me. Once I got a prototype I was going to talk to you about your testing fee, but my filter was going to be baked into the converter circuit design. I mostly got hung up on packaging, since it needed some kind of nice enclosure that isn’t available off the shelf.

Quote:
I fully understand and empathize with the go/no-go decision to go toe-to-toe with the competition . . . ESPECIALLY in a market like OBAM aircraft where volumes will be agonizingly low unless you spend kilobux promoting the product . . . which drives up the selling price . . .

Yup!

—Daniel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

At 11:30 AM 4/25/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
Bob

The task is four-fold.

(1) You need a quiet 5v source.

Easy to get with an number of linear regulator
devices. Assuming you want to craft a "high power"
source (2A) you'll need a device rated for that
kind of current or more. There are dozens of
suitable candidates. Here is but one

http://tinyurl.com/l227b8c

http://tinyurl.com/k37l6kz

(2) Then you need to mount it to a heatsink that will
keep it operably cool while dissipating (14-5)x2
or 14 watts. This will look something like this:

[img]cid:.0[/img]

(3) Then you need to wire a USB connector with the
appropriate resistor network that tells your
portable appliance that this is a high current
USB power source and it's okay to load it
accordingly. I'm not cognizant of the details
for selecting these 'configuration telltale'
resistors . . . perhaps someone on the List has
researched this.

(4) then you need to package all this stuff
in a manner that offers some aviation grade
robustness.

Perhaps I need to qualify my suggestion that a DIY
USB power source is 'easy' . . . it is if you've
been there, done that . . . or perhaps have explicit
instructions along with a bill of materials.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother to build one. I've got
a number of cigar lighter, USB power sources in
4 different vehicles ranging from 500mA to 2A
in charging capacity. One is a 4-port device good
for 2A per port that I think I got at Walmart.

I can recall having pitched a couple such devices into
the refuse barrel at my local gas-and-wienies mart
after discovering that they interfered with the
car radio or my EMS/Fire services radios. But those
instances are rare.

Right now, my biggest victim/antagonist issue is
a JVC panel mounted AM/FM radio in my Sedona has
a spur right on the EMS repeater output frequency.
Can't listen to audio files on the JVC while I'm
on call.

Got a new Kenwood on the floor at my desk right
now that will be rotated into the Sedona as soon
as I have time.

If you REALLY want to build one, I and others here
on the List will endeavor to assist but I think you'll
find the return on $time$ to be of poor value. You
can experiment with a lot of commercial off the shelf
offerings for peanuts.

Here's the one I think I bought for the truck . . .

http://tinyurl.com/kujga3t

This one has coexisted with the compliment of electronics
in my car.

I've got a digital broadband receiver on the shelf
that's been there for about a year. I think it will
let me 'sniff' the environment around various electro
whizzies to explore for potential conflicts . . . but
that project is way on the back burners.

Bob . . .

28b1f1b3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.8 KB
 Viewed:  16407 Time(s)

28b1f1b3.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

At 01:16 PM 4/25/2017, you wrote:
Quote:
--> AeroElectric-List message posted by: Eric Page <edpav8r(at)yahoo.com>

My experience was virtually identical to Daniel's. I spent several months and a several $hundred$ on prototypes of a ground-up design to get a charger that worked well and -- with some guidance from our mentor here -- was electrically quiet.

Oh yeah, it was a gleam in Eric's eye
that we tried to nurture . . .

Nothing ventured, nothing gained but I'm
pleased that he made the go/no-go decision
before tooling up and building inventory
that wouldn't/couldn't move . . .

I've had a couple of those projects . . .

Bob . . .

Eric Page

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: TSU'd Usb charger?? Reply with quote

On Apr 25, 2017, at 5:09 PM, "Robert L. Nuckolls, III" <nuckolls.bob(at)aeroelectric.com> wrote:
Quote:
(3) Then you need to wire a USB connector with the appropriate resistor network that tells your portable appliance that this is a high current USB power source and it's okay to load it accordingly. I'm not cognizant of the details for selecting these 'configuration telltale' resistors . . . perhaps someone on the List has researched this.

I've spent an embarrassing amount of time researching it. I'll see if I can write something up that will help to clarify it for everyone. I have a few days off this week; I should have the time.

Eric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> AeroElectric-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: