Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What I am doing with my Europa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary.Leinberger(at)miller

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: What I am doing with my Europa Reply with quote

Sent the last two weeks getting parts and machining work done so I can redo the brakes - problem at first was clicking due to loose bushings - I had the holes in the brake plate drilled out so it is round (was a bit oval - pre-2006 part). After disassembly I found the bearings had rotated and there were burn marks on both the bearings and the axles. Apparently I didn't tighten the bearing nut enough - talks with Bud and reading the instructions a bit more carefully from Matco should take care of this problem - plus I got the new style Matco nuts for the axle that incorporates a washer with the nut.

My secondary airspeed and TruTrak autopilot had too much leakage for my 2 year IFR cert. So time to buy some new instruments. I am installing a uAvionics AV-20A that does everything but pop corn. I wanted it for the attitude indicator and backup airspeed indicator for my GRT HX. My faithful 2 axis Trutrax autopilot also bit the dust on the last flight losing nav and track heading ability on my 10 year old system. I checked if they can be fixed but Trutrax has been purchased by Bendix which doesn't support any early TruTrax products. I am putting in the GRT autopilot servos (available in a few weeks - and no, the HX system doesn't work with the Trutrak servos but they should bolt right in - yes I also believe in the Easter Bunny). I do pick up another axis on the autopilot as the HX will pick up the glide slope as well as heading and altitude.

As the panel is out (mine comes out easily - about 20 minutes) I am also going to put in USB plugs (replacing the present cigarette lighter plugs for the IPAD and Stratus). I keep running into problems with the IPAD and Stratus running out of power due to the present cigarette lighter plugs vibrating and breaking the charging circuit. I am also going to replace the batteries in my IPAD and Stratus - I do carry a second IPAD and am thinking of buying a new Stratus. I am also going to install the cable and USB port for the AirMaster prop settings (labelled as such of course).

However, it is 28 degrees F at the airport so it may be a few days before I get to work.

Presently without an airplane - my backup club Mooney is sitting at Midway airport with a bent prop (not me, another club member)- we are waiting for a new prop and engine. Avemco paid out 70% of the value of our insurance (and offered to pay the entire $45,000 on the policy). We decided to keep the plane and put in a new engine and prop - the math worked out but of course they promptly cancelled our insurance and made it clear they don't want our business, at least with this plane (they are getting out of the club insurance business.) Engine is coming in about another two months and we have arranged with someone at Midway to install the new prop and engine.

Worse, I must go back to work next week - was on sabbatical for the fall of 2021 and was getting used to being paid with no work necessary. But another 3 semesters and I will bid goodbye to academia. Then I can get more serious about his flying stuff.

Dr. Gary Leinberger
Accounting and Finance Department
Lombardo College of Business
Millersville University
McComsey 340
gleinberger(at)millersville.edu

--

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
peterz(at)zutrasoft.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: What I am doing with my Europa Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Im not clear on what causes the clicking…..my mono does too, unless i apply a little brake, so i assumed its just the pads rattling around. Could you explain further?

Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

[quote] On Jan 10, 2022, at 3:08 PM, Gary Leinberger <Gary.Leinberger(at)millersville.edu> wrote:

Sent the last two weeks getting parts and machining work done so I can redo the brakes - problem at first was clicking due to loose bushings - I had the holes in the brake plate drilled out so it is round (was a bit oval - pre-2006 part). After disassembly I found the bearings had rotated and there were burn marks on both the bearings and the axles. Apparently I didn't tighten the bearing nut enough - talks with Bud and reading the instructions a bit more carefully from Matco should take care of this problem - plus I got the new style Matco nuts for the axle that incorporates a washer with the nut.

My secondary airspeed and TruTrak autopilot had too much leakage for my 2 year IFR cert. So time to buy some new instruments. I am installing a uAvionics AV-20A that does everything but pop corn. I wanted it for the attitude indicator and backup airspeed indicator for my GRT HX. My faithful 2 axis Trutrax autopilot also bit the dust on the last flight losing nav and track heading ability on my 10 year old system. I checked if they can be fixed but Trutrax has been purchased by Bendix which doesn't support any early TruTrax products. I am putting in the GRT autopilot servos (available in a few weeks - and no, the HX system doesn't work with the Trutrak servos but they should bolt right in - yes I also believe in the Easter Bunny). I do pick up another axis on the autopilot as the HX will pick up the glide slope as well as heading and altitude.

As the panel is out (mine comes out easily - about 20 minutes) I am also going to put in USB plugs (replacing the present cigarette lighter plugs for the IPAD and Stratus). I keep running into problems with the IPAD and Stratus running out of power due to the present cigarette lighter plugs vibrating and breaking the charging circuit. I am also going to replace the batteries in my IPAD and Stratus - I do carry a second IPAD and am thinking of buying a new Stratus. I am also going to install the cable and USB port for the AirMaster prop settings (labelled as such of course).

However, it is 28 degrees F at the airport so it may be a few days before I get to work.

Presently without an airplane - my backup club Mooney is sitting at Midway airport with a bent prop (not me, another club member)- we are waiting for a new prop and engine. Avemco paid out 70% of the value of our insurance (and offered to pay the entire $45,000 on the policy). We decided to keep the plane and put in a new engine and prop - the math worked out but of course they promptly cancelled our insurance and made it clear they don't want our business, at least with this plane (they are getting out of the club insurance business.) Engine is coming in about another two months and we have arranged with someone at Midway to install the new prop and engine.

Worse, I must go back to work next week - was on sabbatical for the fall of 2021 and was getting used to being paid with no work necessary. But another 3 semesters and I will bid goodbye to academia. Then I can get more serious about his flying stuff.

Dr. Gary Leinberger
Accounting and Finance Department
Lombardo College of Business
Millersville University
McComsey 340
gleinberger(at)millersville.edu

--

- The Matronics Europa-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Europa-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: