Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Re Gross weight and Model

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexjan(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re Gross weight and Model Reply with quote

To all the Kitfox flyers...

My kitfox is registered as a model III-A. The serial # is 736. I was going
through some of the paper work the other day and noticed the original order
was for a model II.

I am wondering where I can go to find out what has to be done to the plane
to increase the MTOW from 950 to 1050 safely. Transport Canada has agreed
to bump it up if I really want it. I would like to do that only if it is
safe.

The question is this: Is my plane actually a model 2 1/2??? It has the
separate engine mount and the wing tanks with the small header tank under
the panel. The wings are concave on the bottoms. At the time the plane was
originally sold as a kit the Rotax 912 engine was an option.

I've checked with John McBean and he is as much in the dark as I am on this
one..... I guess this one is extra unique.... I don't suppose Dan Denney is
still around??

Noel

Hi ! Noel,
  according to Ed Downs "Kitfox Pilots Guide" Model 2 was serial numbers 258 to 448 and Model 3's are 749 to 1215.
Ed also states the changes between Models 2 and 3 as structural to improve flight characteristics and provide a platform for the more powerful 912 engine. A larger and more powerful vert stab and rudder were added as well as larger stronger lift struts and spar carry through tube in the fuselage.
As it happens I also find similar confusion with my plane. It was built by a mechanical engineeer and is his second effort. What happeneed is the first and original plane developed a huge fuel leak in flight over tiger country due to an aluminium wing tank splitting. He put it down basically wrecking it and writing it off. As this was not the first instance of aluminium tanks doing this sort of thing he had a good case and threatened to sue the factory. My understanding is they gave him a new kit for free, however the log book merely has an entry saying "fuselage replaced, same plane same numbers." The plane was always registerd General Aviation and I believe he did it this way to avoid a lot of beaurocratic paperwork etc. However when I bought it I changed it to Ultralight registration. I have no issues with all this but it is now hard also for me to say exactly what is what with my plane. A further interesting point is that the original plane that was put down in the scrub has apparently been rebuilt and is flying. So one question that arises is, is it using the same serial number as me ? What really are the specifications for both planes ? I don't think any of this affects me but it is interesting.
                          Rex.

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
jdmcbean(at)cableone.net

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re Gross weight and Model Reply with quote

The history page will give a little info.. http://kitfoxaircraft.com/KitfoxHistory.htm
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Fly Safe !!
John & Debra McBean
www.kitfoxaircraft.com
"It's not how Fast... It's how Fun!"
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com]On Behalf Of Rex Shaw
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 12:39 PM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re Gross weight and Model
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
To all the Kitfox flyers...

My kitfox is registered as a model III-A. The serial # is 736. I was going
through some of the paper work the other day and noticed the original order
was for a model II.

I am wondering where I can go to find out what has to be done to the plane
to increase the MTOW from 950 to 1050 safely. Transport Canada has agreed
to bump it up if I really want it. I would like to do that only if it is
safe.

The question is this: Is my plane actually a model 2 1/2??? It has the
separate engine mount and the wing tanks with the small header tank under
the panel. The wings are concave on the bottoms. At the time the plane was
originally sold as a kit the Rotax 912 engine was an option.

I've checked with John McBean and he is as much in the dark as I am on this
one..... I guess this one is extra unique.... I don't suppose Dan Denney is
still around??

Noel
Hi ! Noel,
    according to Ed Downs "Kitfox Pilots Guide" Model 2 was serial numbers 258 to 448 and Model 3's are 749 to 1215.
Ed also states the changes between Models 2 and 3 as structural to improve flight characteristics and provide a platform for the more powerful 912 engine. A larger and more powerful vert stab and rudder were added as well as larger stronger lift struts and spar carry through tube in the fuselage.
As it happens I also find similar confusion with my plane. It was built by a mechanical engineeer and is his second effort. What happeneed is the first and original plane developed a huge fuel leak in flight over tiger country due to an aluminium wing tank splitting. He put it down basically wrecking it and writing it off. As this was not the first instance of aluminium tanks doing this sort of thing he had a good case and threatened to sue the factory. My understanding is they gave him a new kit for free, however the log book merely has an entry saying "fuselage replaced, same plane same numbers." The plane was always registerd General Aviation and I believe he did it this way to avoid a lot of beaurocratic paperwork etc. However when I bought it I changed it to Ultralight registration. I have no issues with all this but it is now hard also for me to say exactly what is what with my plane. A further interesting point is that the original plane that was put down in the scrub has apparently been rebuilt and is flying. So one question that arises is, is it using the same serial number as me ? What really are the specifications for both planes ? I don't think any of this affects me but it is interesting.
                            Rex.
[quote]<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]> -- Please Support Your Lists This Month -- (And Get Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!) November is the Annual List Fund Raiser. Click on the Contribution link below to find out more about this year's Terrific Free Incentive Gifts provided by: * AeroElectric www.aeroelectric.com * The Builder's Bookstore www.buildersbooks.com * Aeroware Enterprises www.kitlog.com * HomebuiltHELP www.homebuilthelp.com List Contribution Web Site --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>[b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: