Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme Toft

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Trailer. Reply with quote

[img]cid:image001.gif(at)01C70626.0CB39C90[/img]
Hi guys, I know this one has been thrown around the paddock many times before but my situation is that I am able to get a trailer made at my work site as our boiler makers are sitting around with nothing to do. I have the steel and am ready to go but I do not have any plans or dimentions for them to work off. Can anyone send me either specs or a plan with dimentions that will allow us to get a start. Like many others, I file information like this for safe keeping on my home computer but as Im working away at the moment I don’t have access to the info. Any assistance would be great. Thanks guys.
Cheers
Graeme

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

image001.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  145 Bytes
 Viewed:  1158 Time(s)

image001.gif

Fox5flyer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Trailer. Reply with quote

Graeme, there have been many very nice trailers built and owned by the Kitfox Listers. I'm sure you'll get several replies. You might take a look at the link below for a few that can give you ideas. These are on our Kitfox Photo Archive that is on the www.sportflight.com site that is maintained by Don Pearsall, the co-administrator for the Kitfox List. Please feel free to browse around through all of the categories.
Not having owned or built one I can't give much advice other than to avoid stiff springs. Try to modify the suspension so that it is suitable for the weight of your aircraft so that it gets the smoothest ride possible to avoid damage to the aircraft. Some people have fuel tanks installed on the trailer to offload fuel prior to mounting the aircraft. Modified boat trailers are very popular. You might also do a Google search for "Kitfox trailer" that should bring up some hits.

http://www.sportflight.com/cgi-bin/uploader.pl?action=main&category=Trailers/Towing

Good Luck,
Deke

[quote] ---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

image001.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  145 Bytes
 Viewed:  1136 Time(s)

image001.gif

dosmythe(at)cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Trailer. Reply with quote

[quote]
Quote:
Jraeme,
Here are my personal thoughts on a Kitfox trailer. Trailer must have:
1. dual axles to help bridge pot holes. (large tires for softer ride)
2. light suspension to carry intended load without being too stiff.
3. elevated tail ramp that will support the tail end of the fuselage and not the tail wheel. (keep weight off tail spring while towing)
4. Consider designing independent suspension for the tail ramp which is seperate from the main trailer. (softer ride)
5. imbeded fuel tank in trailer to support wing tank capacity (12VDC fuel transfer pump for refueling)
6. Winch for loading.
Sorry, no plans just thoughts. There have been a couple cases of damaged fuselage from trailering.

Don Smythe

Hi guys, I know this one has been thrown around the paddock many times before but my situation is that I am able to get a trailer made at my work site as our boiler makers are sitting around with nothing to do. I have the steel and am ready to go but I do not have any plans or dimentions for them to work off. Can anyone send me either specs or a plan with dimentions that will allow us to get a start. Like many others, I file information like this for safe keeping on my home computer but as Im working away at the moment I don’t have access to the info. Any assistance would be great. Thanks guys.

Cheers
Graeme

--
27/10/2006

[b]

Graeme Toft

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Trailer. Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies Guys, I had forgotten about the Sportflight web site Deke so thanks for that. Jon, your trailer is simple and well designed . I would appreciate your offer of measurements if you have time. Good comments also Don. I realize the suspension will be a critical consideration as G loading will be a real issue on our poorly serviced roads.

Regards
Graeme Toft

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-kitfox-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Don Smythe
Sent: Monday, 13 November 2006 12:09 AM
To: kitfox-list(at)matronics.com
Subject: Re: Trailer.
Quote:
Quote:

Jraeme,

Here are my personal thoughts on a Kitfox trailer. Trailer must have:

1. dual axles to help bridge pot holes. (large tires for softer ride)

2. light suspension to carry intended load without being too stiff.

3. elevated tail ramp that will support the tail end of the fuselage and not the tail wheel. (keep weight off tail spring while towing)

4. Consider designing independent suspension for the tail ramp which is seperate from the main trailer. (softer ride)

5. imbeded fuel tank in trailer to support wing tank capacity (12VDC fuel transfer pump for refueling)

6. Winch for loading.

Sorry, no plans just thoughts. There have been a couple cases of damaged fuselage from trailering.

Don Smythe

Cheers
Graeme

--
27/10/2006
-- Please Support Your Lists This Month --   (And Get Some AWESOME FREE Gifts!) November is the Annual List Fund Raiser. Click on the Contribution link below to find out more about this year's Terrific Free Incentive Gifts provided by: * AeroElectric www.aeroelectric.com * The Builder's Bookstore www.buildersbooks.com * Aeroware Enterprises www.kitlog.com * HomebuiltHELP www.homebuilthelp.com List Contribution Web Site --> http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

--
27/10/2006

--
27/10/2006
[quote][b]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: