Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tail Dragger Endorsement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexjan(at)bigpond.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Tail Dragger Endorsement Reply with quote

From: "Noel Loveys" <noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca (noelloveys(at)yahoo.ca)>
Subject: RE: Re: Taildraggers
I'm not saying the FAA is wrong on this one... In fact they are probably
right. However in other countries around the world there is no tail wheel
endorsement.

Noel,
in Australia most of us fly our Kitfox's under RAAus [ Recreational Aviation Australia --- used to be AUF, Australian Ultralight Federation ] and under that these days you automatically get a certificate for tricycle only and have to then earn a tail dragger endorsement that in actual fact just wipes the "T" for tricycle only.
I'm not sure if one can train in a tai dragger in the first place and avoid ever getting the "T" Actually it can be a bit hard getting tail wheel training here. I did my original training in the club tricycle Jabiru then my tail dragger endorsement in my Kitfox per favour my friend who is our club CFI. Our rules allow this in our Technical Manual section 3.3 clauses 2&3 but a few months ago our magazine said we could not train in our own planes. I wrote in pointing out you could and got an answer back that they would probably interperet it differently. However that's rubbish it really is very clear. I think the problem is it kind of puts pressure on Intructors to train in any plane someone fronts up with and they may not be comfortable in some.
If you get your licence under General Aviation I'm not sure how it all goes. We all chose RAAus though because we can do our own maintainence and get cheap 3rd party insurance. It's about $150/yr for licence and insurance. Now $5 million.
                          Rex.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List
Float Flyr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Tail Dragger Endorsement Reply with quote

I have a friend who is an UL instructor. I was talking to him the other day about float training. Apparently it is difficult if not impossible for an instructor to get insurance to teach ultralight flight on floats. He has to personally check he is insured on each and every plane to instruct on that plane. Then he will do a pretty in depth inspection of the plane before he starts instructing.

The major problem he has is, in this neck of the woods there are virtually no wheeled ultralight planes. Everybody wants to fly floats... There are a few who have the Full Lotus floats and fly them year round. they work pretty good on ice, snow and, I've been told wet grass in a pinch.

When I did my training the flight school wouldn't allow me to fly my 'Fox. I had to do all my training on a C172... I found that plane to be a lot more demanding than the 'Fox. In hindsight it would have been an improvement to have been able to do at least some of my solo time in the Kitfox. More fut too!! That decision was made entirely by the flight school and many UL pilots do all their training on their own planes.

I checked with the grand Pu-bah at Transport Canada (east) this morning... There is definitely on tail wheel endorsement in Canada. We also don't have an endorsement for in flight adjustable props. I believe the basic Ultralight Pilot Permit (UL-PP) can be achieved in as low as fifteen hours on your own plane. Also there is no requirement for a UL-PP to have a float endorsement. A UL-PP may also fly any two place aircraft that is less than 1200lb. MTOW and has a Vso of 39 kt. ( 45mph ) or less.

Noel [quote]
--

- The Matronics Kitfox-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kitfox-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kitfox-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: