Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aileron Hinges

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grabo172

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

So I got the plans for my Firestar that I bought used. While looking through them I noticed the aileron assembly section mentioned that they fold down against the wing bottom when folding the wings... as I was thinking about it I thought "my ailerons don't fold down that far?"

Went and checked the plans against my plane and it appears my hinges are installed upside down. The pin bump is on the top, when the plans show it being toward the bottom... that explains why they don't fold correctly.

So my question is... are the holes drilled in the hinges even on both sides so all I have to do is drill out the rivets and flip the hinges over?

I didn't look close when I went to check which way they were, and I just thought that I'd ask if anyone know off hand...

Secondly, do you think that may be why I've had to replace a bunch of rivets already (I've had the plane for 4 months and have replaced about 15 or so of the hinge rivets)

Thanks!

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List

biglar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

I would be seriously amazed if you could flip them and have the holes line
up. Hinges are inexpensive, and seems to me you could buy new hinges and
use the old ones back to back as templates to drill the new holes. No idea
how many hours on the plane, but if things are loosening up, new hinges may
just be a good idea. Lar.

Larry Bourne
Santa Fe, NM
www.gogittum.com

---

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

"Vamoose"
John Hauck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

| No idea
| how many hours on the plane, but if things are loosening up, new
hinges may
| just be a good idea. Lar.
Might be a good idea to determine why rivets are loosening on a
relatively new airplane licensed this year. That is not a normal
situation.

Never had to replace a hinge because of lose rivets.

Second thought, because the hinges are reversed, could it be possible
the hinge rivet line was stressed when attempts to fold the wings were
attempted?

john h
mkIII

Titus, Alabama
grabo172

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

John Hauck wrote:
|

Second thought, because the hinges are reversed, could it be possible
the hinge rivet line was stressed when attempts to fold the wings were
attempted?

john h
mkIII

That was my thought... I think since they are reversed there may be stresses that the hinges weren't designed for, pulling on the rivets.

Good Idea to used the old hinges for templates... that's exactly what I'll do...

I don't know why I don't think of these things myself Embarassed just loosing my mind in my old 33 years I guess... Very Happy

planecrazzzy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

I built my Firestar II aileron hinge area stock.....

But when I folded it up like the plans say , it was just too tight and if you trailer it like that , your gonna get some BAD hanger rash....

So instead , I made a simple bracket to slip into the aileron counter balance tubes , and it holds the ailerons straight up , no rubbing...

Also, I put a bungie cord between it and the tailwheel to keep it secure.

Here's a picture or two...

Gotta Fly...
Mike in MN

Aileron support.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.7 KB
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)

Aileron support.jpg

Aileron support tube.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.25 KB
 Viewed:  391 Time(s)

Aileron support tube.jpg

jbhart(at)onlyinternet.ne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

At 05:39 PM 12/2/06 -0800, you wrote:
Quote:

.....................................>

Quote:
Secondly, do you think that may be why I've had to replace a bunch of
rivets already (I've had the plane for 4 months and have replaced about 15

or so of the hinge rivets)
Quote:

Erik,

If aileron hinge rivets are coming loose, it would seem that it could be
caused by poor hinge alignment. This can be verified by removing the pin
from the push rod clevis and rotating the aileron by hand. If it is badly
misaligned the hinges will squawk. If only one hinge rivet set is becoming
loose that is a hint that, that hinge is out of alignment. This can be
verified by pulling the hinge pin and check to see how the two halves line
up to each other as the aileron is rotated.

For what it is worth.

Jack B. Hart FF004
Winchester, IN

jindoguy(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

Erik, You didn't say how you determined the rivets needed to be replaced, and whether you replaced them with the same size rivet or went oversize. There's a condition called "smoking rivets" in which the rivets begin to move in the holes creating an aluminum oxide dust ring around the head of the rivet. If you see evidence the rivets are smoking, going oversize to 5/32 is probably your only option to get a true fix to the problem.

Rick

On 12/3/06, Jack B. Hart <jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net (jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net)> wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "Jack B. Hart" <jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net (jbhart(at)onlyinternet.net)>

At 05:39 PM 12/2/06 -0800, you wrote:
Quote:
--> Kolb-List message posted by: "grabo172" < grabo172(at)sc.rr.com (grabo172(at)sc.rr.com)>

......................................>

Quote:
Secondly, do you think that may be why I've had to replace a bunch of
rivets already (I've had the plane for 4 months and have replaced about 15

or so of the hinge rivets)
Quote:

Erik,

If aileron hinge rivets are coming loose, it would seem that it could be
caused by poor hinge alignment. This can be verified by removing the pin
from the push rod clevis and rotating the aileron by hand. If it is badly
misaligned the hinges will squawk. If only one hinge rivet set is becoming
loose that is a hint that, that hinge is out of alignment. This can be
verified by pulling the hinge pin and check to see how the two halves line

--
Rick Girard
"Ya'll drop on in"
takes on a whole new meaning
when you live at the airport. [quote][b]

grabo172

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aileron Hinges Reply with quote

jindoguy(at)gmail.com wrote:
Erik, You didn't say how you determined the rivets needed to be replaced, and whether you replaced them with the same size rivet or went oversize.

The heads were just a bit pulled out from the hinge, not flush...

Not smoking at all thank goodness. I just drilled them out and replaced them with 1/8x 1/4 steel rivets. The ones I took out were 1/8 x 1/8. But the manual said that the larger grip is ok if needed.

But of course I'm going to drill them all out anyway and replace the hinges. Better safe than sorry.

On another note.. I passed my Light Sport Repairman - Inspector class today so I can legally sign off my own annual condition inspection...

So I have to replace those hinges anyway... as a maintenance man I have to say my "Inspector" (me) is a real tough cookie Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: