Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: 503 Reply with quote

Hi,
It appears that the list is quiet, so I guess I can at least make a contribution.

I moved this year after retirement and got a fair amount of money for my old house and decided that I would buy a new 503 to replace the 447 that I have 260 hours on rather than do a rebuild. Through an astounding amount of circumstances the engine arrived with the crate damaged, and since my normal UPS lady was on vacation it was dumped off when I was not aware of its arrival. The damage appeared to be superficial and the fill in UPS guy was unhelpful in what my options were. The damage appeared to be only the air filters so I decided that I wanted the engine badly enough that I wasn't going to give it up just for a couple of filters. So the engine sat there until August when I got the plane rebuilt and was ready for the engine. I mounted it on the plane and then found that it would not turn over. I have to admit that I am not a mechanical type guy. If I have to get greasy, I feel that my day has been a failure. So I took it off and put my 447 back on. I flew it for 13 hours. Terry Davis and his wife came down for a visit, and he wanted to look at the engine to see if he could figure out what was wrong. It turned out that the fan shroud was bent into the fan and stopping it from turning over. So I ordered new parts and Terry graciously agreed to come back down and help me put it back together. (I watched) Then it was only a matter of redoing the wiring, mounting the muffler, welding on thermocouple bosses so that I could use the sensors that I had on my EIS. I have to admit that I didn't get in a hurry as it has been in the single digits for temps for quite a while. I finally got it all done yesterday, (it is surprising how much time it seems to take to do anything with that blasted plane) The weather finally warmed up to freezing so I put it back together and pushed it outside. My old battery didn't hold enough power to turn over the starter, so I hooked it to my quad for a jump start. It just didn't want to start, but I finally got it to fire. It ran for a bit then all of a sudden it started revving faster and faster. I was standing outside blocking it with my leg. Well at 5400 rpm's it got pretty hard to hold. I was able to reach over and turn off the key and kill the motor. Thank goodness I had the wires hooked properly. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I checked to make sure that the throttle was off. So I start with the carb, thinking that the splitters weren't adjusted properly. I finally found that when I had zip tied the cable to the cage, I had inadvertently pulled the cables, opening the carbs. After that it ran quite nicely. I then tied it to the truck to make sure that it was going to run correctly.(the engine only has about four hours on it, but it dates back to the early 90's and I wanted to make sure that there were no leaks or other problems.) Every thing was just fine and the engine was as smooth as silk, so I untied it and went flying. It was nice to get back in the air, and it flew very well. The only thing of consequence was that the idle was down to 1400 rpms.

Today I rolled it back out and repaired a few of the things that needed attention, filled her full of gas, turned the idle screws a half a turn, and fired it up. Actually the battery was to weak to turn it over again. So I began to hand prop it to see if it could actually be done. To my surprise it wasn't that hard to do and it fired fairly quickly. I then allowed it to die by turning off the enrichner and had to do it again. I was also surprised that the engine was now showing 2100 rpms. (I rarely get things right the first time) After warm up I took off and began to do some landings and to also get some test time on the engine to make sure that every thing was right and going to keep running. I then found that the RPM's were fluctuating. I had two choices on the wires coming out of the rectifier and of course chose the wrong one. (story of my life) That took care of the problem. I flew for 72 minutes total today at 27 degrees and burned 3 gal of gas. Its nice to be back in the air again, and it is very nice to have 295 hours left on a new motor.
Larry, Oregon

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Kolb-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Kolb-List
John Hauck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: 503 Reply with quote

Its nice to be back in the air again, and it is very nice to have 295
hours left on a new motor.
Larry, Oregon
Hi Larry C/Gang:

Almost as cold at hauck's holler.

Keep that 503 running til we get back up your way one of these days.

Glad the engine is working out for you. Engine seems fine. Might
need to tune up the pilot a tad.

Regards to Karen, the dogs, the birds, the horses. Who did I leave
out? Wink

john h
mkIII (no engine)

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

Titus, Alabama
lcottrell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: 503 Reply with quote

only the cat, but he is used to it.

do not archive
---

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Kolb-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: