Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Hot Mic" CJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Linebaugh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: "Hot Mic" CJ Reply with quote

Val,
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
As the “previous owner”, I can assure you that there were plenty of high-pitched voices through your intercom with nary a problem… We also used several different types of headsets over the years, ANR and PNR, without a hitch. If you are having trouble with the intercom cutting you out, then it is not a hot-mic trouble but sounds more like a squelch adjustment problem.
Your intercom (PS Eng PMA 1000) is among the best around in attenuating the high M14P noise. Please remember there are two squelch (and volume) adjustments, one for each seat. The left outer knob controls the front seat squelch, the right outer knob adjusts the back seat. Volume is adjusted with the smaller inner knobs. If you are hearing a lot of background noise, it may be the rear seat squelch that is the culprit. Also, note that if you adjust the squelch on the ground, it is completely normal to need to increase the squelch after getting airborne (turn the outer knobs clockwise.) Most people choose to leave the squelch at a nominal value that works well while airborne, without having to yell on the ground to break squelch. By turning the squelch all the way clockwise, you should be able to completely squelch out the intercom positions. ATC will hear you regardless of the squelch position, if you push the PTT switch, If the intercom is cutting you out, then either turn the left squelch knob slightly counter-clockwise, or speak louder.
Could the new headsets be the source of trouble? What type are you using? Are you using the Oregon Aero Mic Muffs I suggested on the headsets? They are the ones with the leather outer cover over a foam inner filter. They do a lot to reduce the amount of background noise, reducing the squelch required…you used one when you came to fly with my the first time. I think most on this list would agree they work wonders; I’d try them to see if they help.
Hope this helped…
Jeff Linebaugh
jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net
“the previous owner”
Time: 07:57:23 AM PST US
Subject: Re: Yak-52 intercom
- A problem that I hope someone can help me to rectify before going up
again . . . My CJ has a hot-mic and an M14 engine. I don't know if
it's my high-pitch female voice, the new headsets, or operator error,
but ever since I've acquired the aircraft, I have problems with my
transmissions cutting out intermittently while I'm speaking on the
intercom. I don't know if it's doing the same with ATC or not. Any
ideas on this? (I've tried adjusting the squelch. Maybe I just need to
try harder, but it's really aggravating to me as well as the poor soul
sitting in back.)
Thanks,
-Val
AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: