Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instrument rating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertrv6(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Instrument rating Reply with quote

Hi:

What is the opinion of the list, as to, getting IFR rating using my RV6a... Has any one done that..
I guess would be hard to find an Instructor, to do this....although, I think you should have at least the Nav Aid, and Alt. hold units installed.

Bert

rv6a

do not archive
[quote][b]

- The Matronics RVSouthEast-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?RVSouthEast-List
sportav8r(at)gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Instrument rating Reply with quote

Bert, within the next year I plan to find out, and I'll let you know Wink

-Stormy

On 1/14/07, Bert Murillo <bertrv6(at)gmail.com> wrote:
Quote:
Hi:
What is the opinion of the list, as to, getting IFR rating using my RV6a...
Has any one done that..
I guess would be hard to find an Instructor, to do this....although, I
think you should have at least the Nav Aid, and Alt. hold units installed.
Bert

rv6a

do not archive

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

flyguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Instrument rating Reply with quote

no reason you can't get ifr rating if equipment meets
stds. no different than a Grumman tiger or other
tricycle gear bird. no instructor should balk at an
RV.
--- Bert Murillo <bertrv6(at)gmail.com> wrote:

Quote:
Hi:

What is the opinion of the list, as to, getting IFR
rating using my RV6a...
Has any one done that..
I guess would be hard to find an Instructor, to do
this....although, I
think you should have at least the Nav Aid, and Alt.
hold units installed.

Bert

rv6a

do not archive

Cheap talk?

paulf(at)ncsu.edu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Instrument rating Reply with quote

There is no reason while you can't get your IFR rating in an RV but realize
that it will be harder and you will have to get to a higher skill level for
the check-ride than in a more stable aircraft. You most probably won't be
allowed to take the checkride with the AP on. IFR, especially in training,
there is a lot multi-tasking and you will have to spend a higher percentage
of your time flying the plane than in a Cessna.

I would suggest three things:
- Keeping the spam-can option in mind to get over certain humps and to take
the checkride earlier
- Once you have the basics down do a lot of flying with a safety pilot so
you can reach the required skill level and then go back to the CFII for the
check ride prep
- pass the written BEFORE you start the training.

Paul D. Franzon
Alumni Distinguished Professor of ECE
443 Monteith GRC
paulf(at)ncsu.edu 919.515.7351 fax. 919.515.2285
www.ece.ncsu.edu/erl/faculty/paulf.html
USPS : ECE Box 7911, NCSU, Raleigh NC 27695
FedEx: EGRC 419, 2410 Campus Shore Dr., Raleigh NC 27606

--

ddavenport5(at)nc.rr.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Instrument rating Reply with quote

Bert, a couple of opinions come to mind here. First, if you have the basic stick and rudder skills to do IFR levels of precision flying, then the RV's are easy airplanes to fly IFR. The caveat comes with the concept that they must be flown pretty much 100% of the time. If all you have to do is fly a simple ILS, then these airplanes are easy to fly at a wonderfully precise level. That's what makes these airplanes such good formation airplanes, but any formation pilot will tell you that the workload meter is pretty well pegged while flying in a tight group. Same goes for the IFR environment.
The first time you get a change in your routing from center and have to find an intersection on a chart that you have no idea how to spell, your nice quick little bird will wander away from you. A good autopilot takes all these concerns away, but make sure you have at least altitude hold on it. I have flown my -6 in a fair amount of IFR, have shot a couple of approaches down to true minimums, and the plane will absolutely do it. Just understand that the approach is ALL you will be able to do. You'll have time or attention span available for little else. That said, go find a good CFII & go for it. There's not a single rating out there that will advance your flying skills more than an instrument rating. Have fun!

David Davenport
RV-6 285 Hours
[quote] ---

rv8builder(at)earthlink.n

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Instrument rating Reply with quote

I fly Dehavilland Dash-8's for a living.

My definition of instrument flying is "constant but smooth recovery from error!". Remember there is no speed limit on instrument scan rate. Keep your nose up in the turns!

Dale, 43 days and a wake-up until retirement (the age 60 rule).
--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> RVSouthEast-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: