Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AP Performance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klwerner(at)comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: AP Performance Reply with quote

Hey Wolfgang,

Sorry to hear about your AP Troubles. What did TruTrak have to say about your complaints to the malfunctioning of their unit(s)? Curious to find out what their position is...

Konrad
do not archive
[quote] ---

- The Matronics Rocket-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Rocket-List
cjensen(at)dts9000.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: AP Performance Reply with quote

TruTrak AP won't work....must be a Rocket thing??!!! Seriously, I take it you've talked to TruTrak and have sent the unit in for checkout? TruTrak is pretty diligent about customer support and there are a LOT of perfectly satisfied users, myself included, though with a TruTrak VGSV (or whatever) in a Velocity. After a couple months of original installation, it would wonder R/L at its pleasure. TT fixed it (an electronic gyro issue) by sending a new unit Next Day with the understanding that I would send my unit back when I got it removed from the plane--pretty trusting, I would say. Since then, it locks on altitude and lateral path like a bulldog and doesn't let go. Sound like your unit needs a little fixin' or, if the data stream is coming from an outside source, that that should be checked also.

I have absolutely no first hand familiarity with the Magician, errrr Sorcerer, but I, and most people I know, give TT the benefit of the doubt when it comes to AP design and service.

Chuck Jensen

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

f1rocket(at)telus.net

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: AP Performance Reply with quote

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm sure you've already checked the obvious (static source, wiring)? Will yours hold altitude once set?
I'm running the TruTrak with altitude hold, and GPSS coupled to a CNX80 (480 now). After initially tuning as per the manual, I just love my autopilot.
To make it work right, I did have to do some tuning, but the manual worked good here. I don't fly heading too much, but in the beginning, it would loose heading every now and then, but I think it was more because I was doing heavy banking just before I activated it. If I do a roll, and don't wait at least one minute, the AP is very confused.

Regards,
Jeff
[quote] --

smokyray(at)yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: AP Performance Reply with quote

Chuck,
I can't believe we are discussing the virtues of autopilots on the coolest personal fighter, acro machine, dogfighter ever designed, but here it goes. My 96' HR2 has a Navaid devices AP installed before I bought it and it will track a course and level the wings when I want it to. It's updates are primitive and somewhat ratchety compared to the 737-700 but it works and is a nice option if I'm in the goo and doubles as a T&B.
I also have a TruTrak ADI which gets it's data stream from an Apollo gps. The ADI works but the heading falls offline unless you scale the map down to 1 mile scope (higher baud rate). Additionally. the ADI precesses quite a bit after aerobatics so I pull it's CB unless I need it to fly IFR (which is rare). Pitch isn't actually pitch, it is vertical velocity which could be good or bad. Possibly the issues addressed are the pitch update rates on the TT. Maybe it can't hack the rapid changes presented by the Rocket inflight. Having seen the TT ADI in action, I wouldn't buy the AP. That's $3K worth of 100LL brother!
I have seen a Navaid Devices AP online selling for $400 complete. Not a bad price and it works. I don't use mine much as I have a tendency to roll upside down quite frequently and roll in on unsuspecting 421's, Baron's, King Airs, Navy T-34C's and even a few squadron mates in F16's...Smile That's what Rockets were designed for, right?

Rob Ray

Chuck Jensen <cjensen(at)dts9000.com> wrote:[quote]Message <![endif]--> 90 Clean Clean DocumentEmail false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--> <![endif]--> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} <![endif]--> TruTrak AP won't work....must be a Rocket thing??!!! Seriously, I take it you've talked to TruTrak and have sent the unit in for checkout? TruTrak is pretty diligent about customer support and there are a LOT of perfectly satisfied users, myself included, though with a TruTrak VGSV (or whatever) in a Velocity. After a couple months of original installation, it would wonder R/L at its pleasure. TT fixed it (an electronic gyro issue) by sending a new unit Next Day with the understanding that I would send my unit back when I got it removed from the plane--pretty trusting, I would say. Since then, it locks on altitude and lateral path like a bulldog and doesn't let go. Sound like your unit needs a little fixin' or, if the data stream is coming from an outside source, that that should be checked also.

I have absolutely no first hand familiarity with the Magician, errrr Sorcerer, but I, and most people I know, give TT the benefit of the doubt when it comes to AP design and service.

Chuck Jensen

--

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Rocket-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: