Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking Airplanes...a follow-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Linebaugh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Smoking Airplanes...a follow-up Reply with quote

Guys,
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
A few months ago, I posted concerning troubles I had with a Smoking Airplanes smoke system in my new “red star” mount. I had a split in a “plastic” fitting resulting in a large leak of smoke oil in the guts of my brand new airplane. At the time, I didn’t get much satisfaction from the owner on a remedy to the plastic parts in the kit.
Well, I must report that I received a call from John last week. To his credit, he offered to replace all fittings with AN fittings upgrading the kit to what I would consider “aircraft grade”! It took a while, but he followed up. I wouldn’t feel right about not reporting this to the group… I am once again a happy smoker…

AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" <![endif]-->Jeff Linebaugh
jefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net
<![endif]--><![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Original Message:
Quote:
Doc and all,<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>I know some people dont care for smoke (Dennis!), but I cant live withoutit. I cant tell you how many times it has come in essential to either avoidother aircraft, or have someone find me to effect a rejoin.<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>I had a great smoke system in the CJ that Val is now care takingthe bestaround. I just put a smoke system in my new airplane and I would not,repeat NOT, recommend it to anyone. It was a smokingairplanes.com system.It was touted as easy to install (it was) and convenient since it is acomplete kit (it is.) Having said that, IMHO, I found that the systemcomponents were not aviation gradelots of cheap plastic parts. I was veryreluctant to tighten down the fittings much for fear they would crackandthat is exactly what they did after my first flight I had a quart of smokeoil in the belly of the new airplane due to a cracked plastic fitting. (andyes it was leak tested on the ground prior to the first flight). This systemhas easily cost me twice the purchase price already. When I told the ownerthat we were going to have to re-plumb the whole system, he apologized, andthen cautioned me not to over-tighten any fitting going to the smokepumpyou guessed it, another plastic fitting (Also, in a service bulletin,he stated that there have been two in-flight fires as a result of brokenwelds in the smoke injector fittings in his smoke systems. The remedy?Safety wire them to the exhaust?!) I know that there are Yak owners withhis systemsI hope you have better luck than I did. Please be careful, andfrequently inspect the system, fittings and smoke injectors.<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>Given that smoke oil WILL burn, and fires are generally bad, dont go cheapon your smoke system.<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>Jeff Linebaughjefflinebaugh(at)earthlink.net<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>

[quote][b]

- The Matronics Yak-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Yak-List

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Yak-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: