Matronics Email Lists Forum Index Matronics Email Lists
Web Forum Interface to the Matronics Email Lists

Get Email Distribution Too!Get Email Distribution Too!    FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

elev. trim authority

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tebenkof(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: elev. trim authority Reply with quote

One bit of good news is that another 701 is flying. I made my first flight last week. It was as good as all the descriptions I had heard.

One minor problem: lack of elevator trim authority. I remember in the distant past reading about people doing various things including enlarging the trim tab, adding VGs to the elevator, etc. The first and easiest correction would seem to be adjusting the range of travel of the trim tab for maximum nose up trim effect. So the question is this:

Is there a maximum effective angle between the trim tab and the elevator control surface? An angle beyond which the trim tab effectively stalls, and loses effectiveness?

Or in the case of an enlarged trim tab, is there a model for that which has proven effective?

Thanks in anticipation of many words of wisdom.

Jim Greenough
100% flying (but 99% finished) in Portland

See what's free at AOL.com.
[quote][b]

- The Matronics Zenith-List Email Forum -

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

http://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Zenith-List
nyterminat(at)aol.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: elev. trim authority Reply with quote

Jim,

Not sure what you mean by lack of elevator authority. I didn´t find any problem with mine. If you refer to trim authority, I did what Roger suggested and straightend out the trailing edge of my elevator. This allowed my trim to be centered in level flight. The tab is large enough as is. These 701´s were originally designed for the Rotax 582 enginge which was much lighter than the 912 or 912S. I took a 2x4 and slotted it on a table saw and worked it along the edge of the elevator. It came our well and straightend easy even with it already being painted.

Cogratulations on your first flight!!!!

Bob Spudis
CH701/912S/106hrs

--

Use the List Feature Navigator to browse the many List utilities available such as the Email Subscriptions page, Archive Search & Download, 7-Day Browse, Chat, FAQ, Photoshare, and much more:

billmileski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: elev. trim authority Reply with quote

Jim,

Congrats on the flight! It's really fun to transition into getting to know your aircraft, have fun!

Regarding the elevator trim thing, I had the same issue, I just adjusted the center position of the tab down about 30 degrees or so. I can trim out well without flaps, but cannot overcome stick pressure once flaps are deployed. Full up trim (down tab) is a pretty severe angle.

I probably won't bend down the factory upward trailing lip of the elevator, because I'm so used to it now, but bending it would probably work better and leave the trim tab in a better deflection range, might reduce overall drag a little even. Now that I think of it, heck, I might do it at some point.

Best of luck,

Bill Mileski
Ledyard, CT
701 912S 89 hrs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matronics Email Lists Forum Index -> Zenith-List All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: